• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Dilema

Liz you can only do your best..take the ones you think are most in need
Sadly if people don't like your decisions then they need to put themselves in your shoes

Thank you, maybe I need to have more confidence in my own opinions but i never feel like we are doing the right thing, what ever path we take some bun looses out :?

It has also been so heartbreaking to get the messages from rescues recently that bunnies we were waiting to come here have passed away while waiting for us :(:(

Look at it this way...... if some have passed away in a rescue they would be getting the same care as they would from you..and if their time was very limited better they didn't have a journey and another change of home

I have had about 4 very cross people ring me this week asking why I have not yet taken their rabbit/s..I have been polite and said we are full..and like you have to prioritise those at risk...if they then get stroppy I ask if they would like me to remove them from the list..none of them have said yes.

Look at it this way...... if some have passed away in a rescue they would be getting the same care as they would from you..and if their time was very limited better they didn't have a journey and another change of home

I have had about 4 very cross people ring me this week asking why I have not yet taken their rabbit/s..I have been polite and said we are full..and like you have to prioritise those at risk...if they then get stroppy I ask if they would like me to remove them from the list..none of them have said yes.

Unbelievable - like it's your duty to solve THEIR problem. Their arrogance is outstanding & infuritating. You're way too polite Jill, I'd have given them a right tounge lashing!:lol: Grrrr, some people :evil:

I have found that I can not cope with having a waiting list. I either have a space or I don't. It is quite enough to worry about the ones already here without taking on board rabbits who aren't here yet. It was a difficult lesson to learn but saying no is a necessary thing to be able to do. Promising places you can't provide at the time of need doesn't do the rabbit any good. It may stop another place being found somewhere else. There will always be more rabbits that need those places sadly. We can not even begin to address the level of need out there, so worrying about a few we can't fit in can only serve to diminish our ability to perform for those already with us. We can not help them all and shouldn't try or the help we give will be diminished.
The trouble is it doesn't get easier with time, you just get more to do, and the exhaustion builds up. Believe me its for the best saying no unless you actually have a place. I have had to turn away well over a hundred rabbits already this year, but I can't afford to dwell on that. I have to focus on the 14 I have taken in this year and on the other hundred or so that were already here.

I have found that I can not cope with having a waiting list. I either have a space or I don't. It is quite enough to worry about the ones already here without taking on board rabbits who aren't here yet. It was a difficult lesson to learn but saying no is a necessary thing to be able to do. Promising places you can't provide at the time of need doesn't do the rabbit any good. It may stop another place being found somewhere else. There will always be more rabbits that need those places sadly. We can not even begin to address the level of need out there, so worrying about a few we can't fit in can only serve to diminish our ability to perform for those already with us. We can not help them all and shouldn't try or the help we give will be diminished.
The trouble is it doesn't get easier with time, you just get more to do, and the exhaustion builds up. Believe me its for the best saying no unless you actually have a place. I have had to turn away well over a hundred rabbits already this year, but I can't afford to dwell on that. I have to focus on the 14 I have taken in this year and on the other hundred or so that were already here.

Yes, It was never our intention to have a waiting list as such, especially as most of the bunnies on it are not going to have long lives :( Sometimes in the past I hve said yes to a rabbit and then an emergency turns up and taken that place, but I hate to let people down once I have promised something, so then promise them the next available space :?

We are turning rabbits away, and are really prioritising as best we can but it is difficult when are our spaces are very few and far between and they often have to be a specific bunny for the space we do have.

And to think when we started up properly we wondered if there would even be a need for a place like this :lol::lol:

Last I heard was Thursday or Friday, so your news is probably more up-to-date tbh. H was going to pick her up this weekend and get back to me, but I haven't heard anything yet :?

I have no idea how upto date the info is that I have, I haven't spoken to H directly, it was from another member :)

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same rabbit then, because I don't think the owner was a forum member :?

No it wasn't the owner, if it was the one I mentioned to you in your thread then it is the same bunny :). It was friend of H's that I "spoke" to :)

I hope it is the same bunny, as it would be great if you are able to take her :)

Well we are now having to rethink as the buns I thought were safe aren't at all :(

What to do.............

And just to back up my arguement that Steve is worse than me, he came home twice at the weekend , firstly to tell me of 2 piggies that need a new home and then a 1 year old doe that is being given away, all local :roll: Yet he is the one who is always saying we need to reduce numbers :lol:

I have put my foot down with the local ones, we can't help them :(

I have checked about the other rabbits and it gets worse, none of them are in a safe place for long due to rescue policies and other problems.

I couldn't bear it if any of them were pts because we are their last chance and we couldn't take them :cry::cry::cry:

I feel so helpless :(

The one that H has isn't coming into rescue any time soon, so I think she can be struck off your 'needy list' Liz :wave:

Another has a couple of months to find somewhere, so I'm sure we can sort something out before then

The one that H has isn't coming into rescue any time soon, so I think she can be struck off your 'needy list' Liz :wave:

Another has a couple of months to find somewhere, so I'm sure we can sort something out before then

She wasn't even on my list as I hoped you were having her :?

Who has a couple of months, none of the ones I know of have :(

:( :( I feel sick with worry. And thats only for one bunny. I really dont know how you cope Liz. You must be such a strong person xxx

:( :( I feel sick with worry. And thats only for one bunny. I really dont know how you cope Liz. You must be such a strong person xxx

Trust me, I'm not. I am sick with worry too. I want to help them all but we just can't, but how do you choose who lives or dies , they have all fought so hard :(:(

Do you need me to go and pick any of these up for you? I can foster for a couple of months if you need time? I'm based in Oxford and free Friday evening,Saturday evening and all day Sunday.

Last edited:
We would help, but we are so far away and our facilities aren't up to speed yet.
With Mike being away so often and the bad weather our new runs are a way behind schedule.:roll:

Back