• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossom not Herself

I expect you know to be ultra vigilant re Flystrike. I would use flying insect deterrents and put a fly screen over her cage. An old net curtain would suffice. Personally I have never used a Flystrike preventer on a Rabbit, but if I did I would use F10 Insecticidal Wound Spray rather than Rearguard.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/F10-Products-Germicidal-Wound-Spray-with-Insecticide/c22592/
Definitely agree with this, I use f10 for Atticus, it's much better than rearguard ime

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thank you those are great tips, I've mostly just been keeping all the windows shut so that it's easy to keep her warm but I will order some F10.

I think a bath might be needed, I've read about using cornflour for a dry bath, has anyone tried that?

I'm just conscious taking her to the bathroom for the sink will be very distressing for her as it's upstairs, and our bathroom is terribly small so I'm not sure we'd be able to do that easily.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

It can be quite hard to get dried poo off the fur. I put a towel in the bottom of a small plastic box like a shoe box and then add very little slightly warm water. I then put only the rear in the water as I hold the bunny's head and front paws above water. Tilting box to rear keeps water near bum. Soak a few minutes and gently roll soiled areas with your fingers. Some may remain. Do only as long as she tolerates then dry her on towel but do not rub. Give her heat source-human works until she is dry.
Sending vibes.

Thank you those are great tips, I've mostly just been keeping all the windows shut so that it's easy to keep her warm but I will order some F10.

I think a bath might be needed, I've read about using cornflour for a dry bath, has anyone tried that?

I'm just conscious taking her to the bathroom for the sink will be very distressing for her as it's upstairs, and our bathroom is terribly small so I'm not sure we'd be able to do that easily.

Can you get a cheap baby bath? Or washing up bowl? That's how we do it. I did it in the sink once when we moved coz I didnt have the baby bath but he hated it [emoji51]

People are always getting rid of them coz you only use them for a short time if they use one, maybe check olio or other sites, but you can get very cheap ones on amazon too x

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Ooh yes that's a good plan! Here she is you can just see some of the stains here.
1b3a36dc25fff27b85f2626e6b3ff9d2.jpg

Thank you for all the vibes.

We went to do a wipe this evening with her meds as the bath is being picked up tomorrow.

She's actually managed to clean a good chunk of it off, I think maybe she just needed help to loosen it all. So hopefully we can just keep doing that for her.

Covering her eyes really helped her feel comfortable and she didn't tilt back at all even while being patted dry.

The advice you are all giving is making caring for her effectively so much easier, I'm so grateful x

I really don't know if I had any advice to give. I'm just sending lots of vibrations for Blossom, I hope these days are all over.. xxxxxxxx

Thank you for all the vibes.

We went to do a wipe this evening with her meds as the bath is being picked up tomorrow.

She's actually managed to clean a good chunk of it off, I think maybe she just needed help to loosen it all. So hopefully we can just keep doing that for her.

Covering her eyes really helped her feel comfortable and she didn't tilt back at all even while being patted dry.

The advice you are all giving is making caring for her effectively so much easier, I'm so grateful x

Glad covering her eyes help :) she must have felt unsteady coz she's dizzy bless her

It's so tough caring for a rabbit in this condition, you're doing an amazing job :) I hope that it's a little easier and you'll get into a routine x

How's Blossom today? I think that covering eyes is very helpful for bunnies. I always do it when weighing them to prevent them from getting stressed. How's her eating now? I'm glad that cleaning her up is being successful.

Thinking of you all.

She's a bit quiet today, she's still taking all her meds and syringe food like a champ although getting a bit fiesty.

However she's still really only eating fresh food herself and occasionally a little hay. On the plus side she ate her nuggets yesterday for the first time since she came home.

I do wonder if eating somehow makes her dizziness worse, she shouldn't be in pain with her metacam dose 1 ml twice a day but I'd imagine a head tilt might make all her muscles sore.

She was completely clean today just a bit of eye crust almost like sleep, but little cool, I do worry about keeping her warm enough. I put a snugglesafe in with her and she sort of curls around them.

Aw, I'm sorry she's a bit quiet today, and isn't eating super well yet. I'm glad she's still taking her meds and food well, at least, and her being clean today is really good news. I wouldn't be surprised if eating makes her dizziness worse, if only a bit, since she has to move her head for that? I'm not sure, though. It does sound like she's appreciating her snugglesafe, so I hope it keeps her warm enough. I'm still sending her lots of vibes.

I think its quite usual to prefer fresh foods - my Noodle was the same. She is in really good hands with you. How is she today?

I think we've settled into a routine, she has a spot in the cage she prefers with a snugglesafe and hay nearby.

I deliver fresh food on a regular basis and her head pops out and she eats it all bless her.

She's managing to use the litterbox despite the challenge of getting in and out apart from one or two accidents. I've put a low entry one in but she's set on using their usual one. She's still very clean after the initial mess.

But apart from that she's very sedate, but from what I've read that's fairly normal, she's obviously still quite dizzy and I might speak to the vets about something for that.

We're also almost out of rantidine which I'd prefer to continue until her poo is at it's regular size so will need to call them anyway. It's improved a great deal but still not normal for her.

Her tilt very much varies depending on stress level, but we're trying to make that as low as possible.

I think we've settled into a routine, she has a spot in the cage she prefers with a snugglesafe and hay nearby.

I deliver fresh food on a regular basis and her head pops out and she eats it all bless her.

She's managing to use the litterbox despite the challenge of getting in and out apart from one or two accidents. I've put a low entry one in but she's set on using their usual one. She's still very clean after the initial mess.

But apart from that she's very sedate, but from what I've read that's fairly normal, she's obviously still quite dizzy and I might speak to the vets about something for that.

We're also almost out of rantidine which I'd prefer to continue until her poo is at it's regular size so will need to call them anyway. It's improved a great deal but still not normal for her.

Her tilt very much varies depending on stress level, but we're trying to make that as low as possible.

It is perfectly normal for her not to want to move about much as doing so will make her more dizzy. It sounds as though she is doing really well at the moment. Don’t be disheartened if she appears to get a bit worse over the next few days/ weeks with regards to the dizziness. Recovery from EC is a long and wobbly one. But it is very possible for a Rabbit to recover, even if they are left with a permanent head tilt. I would look at her recovering being one that takes at least a couple of months.

That sounds really helpful that you've all settled into a new routine. How good, too, that she's still clean. It sounds like she's coping with everything as best as she can, and like you're caring for her wonderfully. :love:

Head tilt was very bad this morning, almost all the way over poor thing. It seems to have improved again now but not as good as before.

I think some of it is her trying to keep us in view properly as she looks up at us with her up eye.

She has still happily eaten her bramble tips and dandelions so I'm not too worried especially as you've all reassured me ups and downs are normal.

Like Jane said, some tilt can remain. When she is no longer dizzy she may benefit from some gentle PT to keep her flexible.
My tilt bunnies would be worse after they were handled or after they were trying to move around . This is typical.
Have her eye movements-nystagmus-gone away or do they return at times? One of my bunnies would track my movements with his entire head as he improved.

Sending more vibes.

Back