• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie's ear surgery

Cleaned his ear today before work it's healing really well. I think the salty water definitely helps. So far so good. Yeah they said it was putting pressure on his brain so I didn't have much of a choice xx

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Brave boy Charlie :D And you too!

Sending hugs for you both xx

I sympathise with you. I went through it myself with Hiro and I cried my eyes out when I first saw him.
He will start to look more like himself over the next few weeks :)
Sending lots of love to you both xxx

Well done you. You will probably find that the wound gradually heals from the outside, so getting smaller and smaller. That's why it's important to remove the scab and give it a good clean - otherwise the body tries to do such a good job of repairing itself that it would heal over and seal in the infection.

Alfie's wound eventually got to the stage where it was too small for us to get anything inside to clean it. The vet was pondering whether to open it again slightly or leaving it be - we went for the latter and, fingers crossed, it hasn't caused an issue so far.

He seems happy that's the main thing. Hopefully John thinks we are doing a good job. Need to check when to take him off metacam as well. He's not being keen on his pellets again which I'm thinking it may be hard and painful to chew?

Charlie is no longer treats and Is only eating hay. He took some papaya and spat it out again. Jc tonight.... So worried about him

Charlie is no longer treats and Is only eating hay. He took some papaya and spat it out again. Jc tonight.... So worried about him

Poor lad :cry: Perhaps he needs an increased/additional analgesic cover. I do hope that JC can help him to feel more comfortable x

What does analgesic mean? I wonder why he's only eating hay. And I know the travel there is going to make the situation worse

Analgesia is pain relief. :) It's quite major surgery, and some rabbits have a lower pain threshold just like us humans, so it could be that he's feeling some pain. If you're worried about the journey, you could ring to explain and they may well advise you over the phone to try an increased dose to see if that helps Charlie.

Hmm difficult. He's currently on 10 of metacam I don't know if that's a high dose

So sorry to hear this Loobers :(

I really hope JC can help him. He could possibly be on Tramdol for pain relief as well as/instead of Metacam. Ask JC xx

He spat his papaya treat back out which is unusual. I am work really stressing. I've got really bad chest pains. He's been running about and acting OK, he just won't eat. I also ran out of critical care before work so I hope he's still eating his hay like when I left him

Hmm difficult. He's currently on 10 of metacam I don't know if that's a high dose

10 what ?

He is probably not wanting to eat much as chewing will increase the pain in his ear/face. Especially hard food like pellets. I am sure that JC will be able to suggest some additional treatment to try to help Charlie to feel more comfortable. As well as metacam Tramadol can be useful for addressing severe pain. Tramadol does not seem to have the same sedating effects as opiates such as Buprenorhine (Vetergesic). Although Buprenorphine does have it's place in some cases and can be very useful.

The first line on the metacam syringe sorry I don't have it to hand. I bought some baby food, what do you think about that?

The first line on the metacam syringe sorry I don't have it to hand. I bought some baby food, what do you think about that?

You could make a soft feed by soaking his usual pellets in boiled water and then mashing them up. You could add some Veg Baby Food to make it a bit more tasty. Charlie may eat it directly from a bowl, but if not then you could syringe feed it to him xx

Hiro was on a lot of pain relief after his op. He had 1ml of Metacam twice a day and Tramadol three times a day. Maybe ask about Tramadol like Jane suggested? Xx

Thank you I will. I will also mash the pellets up with hot water and baby food for now. I will let you know what jc says tonight xx

Thank you I will. I will also mash the pellets up with hot water and baby food for now. I will let you know what jc says tonight xx

Yes that sounds like a good idea :thumb:

I suggested asking JC about Tramadol early in your thread here, so I wonder what he would say about adding that into the mix?

Hopefully Charlie just needs a bit more healing time, as has been said it was big op' . At least you know that you have a Rabbit Savvy Vet xx

OK so jc given him an injection, cleaned his ear out for me. I have to get Charlie eating buy Thursday otherwise he's got to stay in. I asked about tramadol and he said if injection doesn't work he will be on tramadol xx

I have also got more critical care, my mum's given me some fibre plex to try. Will keep you all updated. So deflated right now Xxx

Back