• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Important Information Re: RVHD2-Please Read

Ellen but that would be some years ago, I have just found out that the vet my sister uses for her doggy, is looking into it also, so maybe nearer to home, it was only thinking of what vets are here and then I remembered someone who has bunnies was on here and lives not far from my nan and uses them to

i don't remember hearing that name before. might have been before we started using them (2009) x

Can I assure everybody please that every single vet and vet nurse who has written to or phoned the RWAF has been sent a document that GIVES DETAILED INFORMATION ON HOW TO ORDER THE NEW VACCINE. If your vet has received that document from us, then they DO have the information about ordering.

An article has also been published in Vet Record this week from our vet, Richard Saunders. It gives information about the virus and its spread, and also how to order. The same article will soon appear in the Vet Times.

Richard has worked incredibly hard on this for some considerable time, investigating the virus itself, which vaccines were available to protect against it in EU countries and then jumped through many, many hoops in order to secure a Special Import Certificate so that our UK rabbits can be protected. He made the first import order, which arrived with him some days ago and so the process is now established and any vet can order the vaccine simply by filling in online forms. All the hard work has been done.

We sent out an email yesterday to all UK vet practices so that they should all now have that information available.

We are happy to send the file to any further vets who can't find it in their general practice email but they must write to us please from a practice email address for verification.

We do know that one of our RWAF volunteers in Yorkshire had his rabbits vaccinated this week, so there are vets who already have the vaccine in stock in the UK

Footnote: We have heard from some vets who have tried to order that the German company is slow to reply. This will be because they are swamped with orders, so some patience is going to be needed

Footnote: We have heard from some vets who have tried to order that the German company is slow to reply. This will be because they are swamped with orders, so some patience is going to be needed

Thanks Ros, that was confirmation that I needed for my worries. I'll be much happier when they've had their second dose!

Can I assure everybody please that every single vet and vet nurse who has written to or phoned the RWAF has been sent a document that GIVES DETAILED INFORMATION ON HOW TO ORDER THE NEW VACCINE. If your vet has received that document from us, then they DO have the information about ordering.

An article has also been published in Vet Record this week from our vet, Richard Saunders. It gives information about the virus and its spread, and also how to order. The same article will soon appear in the Vet Times.

Richard has worked incredibly hard on this for some considerable time, investigating the virus itself, which vaccines were available to protect against it in EU countries and then jumped through many, many hoops in order to secure a Special Import Certificate so that our UK rabbits can be protected. He made the first import order, which arrived with him some days ago and so the process is now established and any vet can order the vaccine simply by filling in online forms. All the hard work has been done.

We sent out an email yesterday to all UK vet practices so that they should all now have that information available.

We are happy to send the file to any further vets who can't find it in their general practice email but they must write to us please from a practice email address for verification.

We do know that one of our RWAF volunteers in Yorkshire had his rabbits vaccinated this week, so there are vets who already have the vaccine in stock in the UK

that's great, such a lot of work to organise it all

Yes I spoke to the nurse at my practice earlier today and she said they're still waiting for a reply from the German company. It's understandable I suppose; even if only a very small percentage of UK vets have been in contact with them, that will still be hundreds or even thousands of emails they'll be having to deal with all of a sudden! Let's just hope there's enough vaccine being made to meet the extra demand.

Thanks Ros, that was confirmation that I needed for my worries. I'll be much happier when they've had their second dose!

Could I ask you a couple of questions? Did you notice any side effects after the vaccine? And do you have any older bunnies who have had it? My Mini is nine this year and I'm a bit nervous about her having such a new vaccine :(

Could I ask you a couple of questions? Did you notice any side effects after the vaccine? And do you have any older bunnies who have had it? My Mini is nine this year and I'm a bit nervous about her having such a new vaccine :(

No bad reactions, *touch wood*. They've all been their usual selves. I've had 2 x 8 year olds and 2 x 8.5 - 9 year old vaccinated. I was nervous about how Tink (8.) would be as suddenly went blind due to active EC only about six months ago, but touch wood she's been fine. She was vaccinated on Tuesday.

No bad reactions, *touch wood*. They've all been their usual selves. I've had 2 x 8 year olds and 2 x 8.5 - 9 year old vaccinated. I was nervous about how Tink (8.) would be as suddenly went blind due to active EC only about six months ago, but touch wood she's been fine. She was vaccinated on Tuesday.

Good news! Thank you!

Hi All, Cambridge Vet Group are putting together a list of people who want the vaccine. Please call them if you would like to be added to the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am already on their list - thanks for posting though. Good to hear updates of progress. Did you get any idea of the number of vaccines they are expecting to arrive? Just because if Caroline at rabbit residence decides to have hers done that over 200 buns. I have 33, and I know there are some other multiple bun owners that go there.

Thanks for sharing that. I was unsure about my two 9+ years olds having it from my lot - but that sounds hopeful.

I am already on their list - thanks for posting though. Good to hear updates of progress. Did you get any idea of the number of vaccines they are expecting to arrive? Just because if Caroline at rabbit residence decides to have hers done that over 200 buns. I have 33, and I know there are some other multiple bun owners that go there.

200 Rabbits :shock:

reassuring to know you are all having your older buns vaccinated. it was one of my concerns with bisc, but my main concern is that he isn't 100% well and it's so close to his combi vaccination :(

200 Rabbits :shock:

she is a large rescue with a team of volunteers and committee/trustees etc and they have a field area with all their barns and aviary set ups, rather than the usual back garden. Thats why she can take so many. It is muddy at this time of year obviously - and like anywhere can get a bit messy. But the buns are warm, dry, clean, and see a brilliant vet. I love their blog with daily posts by the volunteers:

http://bunniestotherescue.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited:
she is a large rescue with a team of volunteers and committee/trustees etc and they have a field area with all their barns and aviary set ups, rather than the usual back garden. Thats why she can take so many. It is muddy at this time of year obviously - and like anywhere can get a bit messy. But the buns are warm, dry, clean, and see a brilliant vet. I love their blog with daily posts by the volunteers:

http://bunniestotherescue.blogspot.co.uk

I was thinking of the financial implications :shock:

I saw a nurse and she just said they were expecting it to arrive in 50 dose bottles and that it hadn't come through yet, no idea as to quantity ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for updating! Thats really useful to know. I probably have to go there tmw so will see if there is any update.

I was thinking of the financial implications :shock:

Yes I think rescues are going to be hit hard by this extra vaccine - especially if vets charge a consultation /vaccine fee for each dose (if its 2 doses). I think some will simply have to decide not to vaccinate against it at first.

Back