• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie's turn to not eat U/D coming home this evening

She's been eating some carrot and broccoli of her own accord but has yet to touch any pellets or hay. They've decided to keep her in again tonight and keep syringe feeding her to keep her gut moving. Then they'll examine her again in the morning and make a decision about whether her teeth need sorting. She's apparently much brighter this morning and was kicking off with the vet :lol: I'm so happy to finally get some good news, I was dreading her going the other way after so long without pooing. We're not out of the woods yet, especially if she has to have a dental, but pheeew

I've always found that pellets are the last thing that they return to eating after they've been poorly. I think that it is wise for them to keep her in to feed and monitor her, it will be much less stressful for you too, although I know it won't stop the worry.

That's good news ! Keeping her in another night is good, it will take the pressure off you a bit. Hope she continues to improve xxx

She's been eating some carrot and broccoli of her own accord but has yet to touch any pellets or hay. They've decided to keep her in again tonight and keep syringe feeding her to keep her gut moving. Then they'll examine her again in the morning and make a decision about whether her teeth need sorting. She's apparently much brighter this morning and was kicking off with the vet :lol: I'm so happy to finally get some good news, I was dreading her going the other way after so long without pooing. We're not out of the woods yet, especially if she has to have a dental, but pheeew

Ah, good update :thumb: Onwards and upwards Millie :D

So Millie's coming home this evening. She's eating hay and pooping well and has eaten some pellets. They're not operating on her teeth at the moment but I'm worried if that was cause she may slip back into not eating again. Going to discuss with the vet when I go pick her up. I've got the week off work because it's my birthday tomorrow so I can keep an eye on her.

Will Maddie just accept her back after being gone for 3 days? She hasn't seemed to miss her at all apart from spending a bit more time with me she's been binkying, flopping and eating like she didn't care!

So Millie's coming home this evening. She's eating hay and pooping well and has eaten some pellets. They're not operating on her teeth at the moment but I'm worried if that was cause she may slip back into not eating again. Going to discuss with the vet when I go pick her up. I've got the week off work because it's my birthday tomorrow so I can keep an eye on her.

Will Maddie just accept her back after being gone for 3 days? She hasn't seemed to miss her at all apart from spending a bit more time with me she's been binkying, flopping and eating like she didn't care!

There are risks to her being at the vet without Maddie, she will smell differently and there is a risk that she may not welcome her back with gusto. Just be aware that it might happen, hopefully it will not, she might even just go on as if shes never even been away.

So glad shes feeling better and coming home x

I would take Maddie in with you and if possible transport them home in the same Pet Carrier. Putting Millie into the carrier first then adding Maddie. Otherwise a re-introduction might be a bit fraught, especially with 2 Does. Alternatively remove Maddie from the area they share until Millie has been home for a few hours. Then see how a re-introduction goes, possibly re-introduce them in a small neutral space such as the bathroom.

I am glad to hear that Millie is better xx

I would take Maddie in with you and if possible transport them home in the same Pet Carrier. Putting Millie into the carrier first then adding Maddie. Otherwise a re-introduction might be a bit fraught, especially with 2 Does. Alternatively remove Maddie from the area they share until Millie has been home for a few hours. Then see how a re-introduction goes, possibly re-introduce them in a small neutral space such as the bathroom.

I am glad to hear that Millie is better xx

I've only got one vet box unfortunately and it's with Millie. I've got to walk to the vets too so I wouldn't be able to carry Maddie there if I could borrow one. Mum's got to borrow a car to get me home and she works opposite the vets. My brother's working a late shift for the first time in ages and has our car. It's all conspiring against me recently!

I hope I don't have to separate them because I don't have a whole lot of stuff to manage it. I do still have a pen but their old set up meant I took the door off it but I think I can position it against a wall if I need to separate. They've got a really strong bond normally but I am slightly worried. Maddie is the boss normally and I have seen her chinning stuff more than usual the last few days. She does love her sister though and does groom her too, I just hope she's nice to Millie when she gets back!

Can you put them both back into a neutral area when Millie comes home? Give them both an even chance of getting back together.
So glad Millie is coming home ... and hope you have a lovely Birthday tomorrow xx

I've only got one vet box unfortunately and it's with Millie. I've got to walk to the vets too so I wouldn't be able to carry Maddie there if I could borrow one. Mum's got to borrow a car to get me home and she works opposite the vets. My brother's working a late shift for the first time in ages and has our car. It's all conspiring against me recently!

I hope I don't have to separate them because I don't have a whole lot of stuff to manage it. I do still have a pen but their old set up meant I took the door off it but I think I can position it against a wall if I need to separate. They've got a really strong bond normally but I am slightly worried. Maddie is the boss normally and I have seen her chinning stuff more than usual the last few days. She does love her sister though and does groom her too, I just hope she's nice to Millie when she gets back!

Hopefully the girls will accept each other again. I'd introduce them in a confined space initially to minimise any chasing and as I mentioned previously an area theat neither of them are used to would probably be better than having the reunion in the room they are both most familiar with.

Good luck !

They're not getting on well. I think Maddie might have been the cause of Millie's stasis. They don't think her teeth caused it. Maddie's grooming Millie but it looks like she's yanking her whiskers and then she's chasing her. I'm going to separate them tonight.

I've been thinking about it non stop and I think I'm going to have to rehome them. Possibly separately now. I've got to find a new job and it's going to pay less and I can't cope with the stress of having to medicate them and worrying they're going to stop eating any second. It's making me really sick, I've never coped well with stress and I get panic attacks. Please don't make me feel bad about this because I feel terrible already. I'm hoping I can find them a home here so I know they're going to a good place :(

They're not getting on well. I think Maddie might have been the cause of Millie's stasis. They don't think her teeth caused it. Maddie's grooming Millie but it looks like she's yanking her whiskers and then she's chasing her. I'm going to separate them tonight.

I've been thinking about it non stop and I think I'm going to have to rehome them. Possibly separately now. I've got to find a new job and it's going to pay less and I can't cope with the stress of having to medicate them and worrying they're going to stop eating any second. It's making me really sick, I've never coped well with stress and I get panic attacks. Please don't make me feel bad about this because I feel terrible already. I'm hoping I can find them a home here so I know they're going to a good place :(

Dont rush into any rash decisions. You have been through a very stressful time and aswell as the Rabbits you have other worries to deal with too. Maddie may be over-grooming Millie's face as Millie may have some residue of syringe feeds stuck around her mouth. Perhaps someone could assist you with an attempt at rebonding the girls ? It's just that if you rush into re-homing them now you may come to regret it. If, however, this does prove to be what you feel you need to do then I for one will not judge you. It is no-one elses's business what decisions you make as only you know the full details of your personal circumstances. So ignore any negative comments from strangers and give yourself time to consider your options.

(((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))) and I hope Millie is eating OK and settled back home now xx

Kirotea, my offer of any help is still here for you. I could re-introduce them on neutral territory....at my cottage, I have bunny carriers, a car...so please, please don't think that things are conspiring against you.....I'll happily help you and the bunnies.

As Jane says, please give yourself some time. I am sure I only live a few minutes drive away from you and would always help you with Millie and Maddie. Don't feel that there is no-one to help give you 'back' up when needed..............'cos I'm here.

Last edited:
Hopefully the girls will accept each other again. I'd introduce them in a confined space initially to minimise any chasing and as I mentioned previously an area theat neither of them are used to would probably be better than having the reunion in the room they are both most familiar with.Good luck !

The ' snug' at the cottage is free..........worth a thought Kirotea. x

Kirotea, my offer of any help is still here for you. I could re-introduce them on neutral territory....at my cottage, I have bunny carriers, a car...so please, please don't think that things are conspiring against you.....I'll happily help you and the bunnies.

As Jane says, please give yourself some time. I am sure I only live a few minutes drive away from you and would always help you with Millie and Maddie. Don't feel that there is no-one to help give you 'back' up when needed..............'cos I'm here.

:love:

Back