• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flipping snuffles (would like to swear!)

markey78

Warren Scout
:censored: snuffles! Ive just come back from the vets after finding Jess with a crusty nose. And the vet thinks its early signs of snuffles!

Just to see what people think, but he reckons she probably has had it for longer than we have had her at home (2 weekish) which would mean she had it when we got her from a certain large pet chain! Does this sound right?

He also thinks is may make the VHD jab she had yesterday not work correctly!

So he has given both of them a shot today (dont know what off) and given me medicine to give oraly (which is going to be fun with Misty)

Guess i feel bad because it means Misty will get it too:(

Awww how horrible. It's a stressful time for baby buns so it might 'pass'. When you say crusty nose, what do you mean? Another possibility is that it could be bunny syphilis (which isn't as horrifying as it sounds and can be treated). It often manifests as little yellow crusty bits around the nose/mouth and can be passed from mother to kits. A bun with snuffles doesn't necessarily pass it to another bun, although they can do. If the kits were from the same litter in the first place, chances are the other one has been exposed already and may just not be susceptible to it. I have had a chronic snuffly bun living with a healthy bun for nearly 2 years now and he's never developed snuffles.

Hope it's something simply solved!

It is a bit yellow and crusty, but it is definatly on her fur not skin (you can clean it off with luke warm water) and she has been a bit sneezy :?

I have also no experience of a snuffle bun passing it to a healthy partner.

Hope she feels better soon.

i had a snuffles bun from one of the well known pet stores also:censored:
The poor little boy suffered so badly with it was heartbreaking to see his nose and eyes constantly weeping i hope your rabbit feels ok after the medication:)

Jess seems to be responding pretty well, still sneezing but little discharge.

And she has starting nicking mistys greens, so she must be feeling better:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My 2 rabbits don't seem able to get rid of their snuffles. They've both had lots of antibiotic injections in 2 separate 3 weeks lots and are still sneezing - although they don't seem ill now.

I'm at my wits end, I just don't know what to do.:?

Ailz

:wave: Join the club!! Snuffles takes up all my waking (and some sleeping) hours at the moment! So does that :censored: large pet chain you mention!!! Perhaps we should all sign a petition!! I am about to write them a rather lengthy letter - not that it will do any good but it'll make me feel better!

Was also pleased to hear that healthy buns can live with snuffly buns as we were wanting to get Charlie a pal - although he is a house bunny he is on his own whilst we are at work/school and I thought with him having snuffles a pal would be out of the question!

Salt has suffered from snuffles in the past, but we have managed to keep teh symptoms at bay for the past year. They buns are in an outdoor enclosure (6' x 6') which is half coverd and half open. The vet said it's really important that they have fresh air circulating.
The only bedding they have is the dustfree hay and only in their hutches (although they prefer to sleep on top of the hutch, not in it!). The rest of their environment is paving slabs and bark chippings. I have swapped the litter over to wooden cat litter pellets.
This combination seems to be working for Salt as he has been healthy for a while now. He has not passed the condition on to Pepper, his brother

Back