• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boris is poorly he died in the early hours

Kylie541

Warren Veteran
My new baby is now sick with an upset tummy. He has been to the vet and had jabs. I am now giving him recovery medicine and pro biotic and he has to go back in the morning. No bloating or blockage so she thinks it's just a change of enviroment etc. He has been out for a run around and I cleaned his bum with a wet wipe and then he pooed on me :roll: :lol: (at least he is pooing). He is eating hay and just had a couple of pellets and is now sat in his nest on top of a hot water bottle looking quite content and he has nice warm ears.. Fingers crossed he is going to be okay. How many times a day do I need to give him recovery? I gave him 4 mls before

Last edited:
It's in a tube from the vet in power and I just mix it with a little water. She has written critical care formula on the bottle and use when required.

If you can get access to blackberry leaves these also can help with reduce the diarrhoea.

Well there has been no poo at all for a couple of hours but he seems a bit brighter drinking lots of his probiotic water and ate some pellets and lots of hay. I have removed his hot water bottle as he seem a bit hot. I really hope he is gonna be ok. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I really hope he feels better soon, he looks like such a sweety.

Is this another sick pets at home bunny?

A big bit of runny poo and then he ate a load of pellets:D . I am hoping now he is pooing it will start to firm up. He has his nest on a hot water bottle. Come on Boris start getting better. He has been running around as well and he just looks brighter if that makes sense.

Passed more poo but it's still really watery. I am so worried think we will need to go back to the vet.:cry: I don't know what to do for him.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things - what a worry :( I would take him back to the vets - if you take a sample of his runny poo in a clean plastic bag they will be able to test it for bacteria - he may need antibiotics.

This is an excellent article on rabbits problems http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

this is what it says regarding baby rabbit diarrea:

At the first sign of runny stool in a baby rabbit, off to the vet! Treatment for diarrhea in baby rabbits will probably include subcutaneous fluid thereapy, and administration of oral probiotics. Lactobacillus acidophilus powder (NOT yogurt, which can make the problem worse) suspended in clean drinking water and carefully administered via syringe seems to help foster a healthy intestinal environment and may even soothe intestinal inflammation. A very small amount of a clay-based product such as Kaopectate can help solidify the stool and stop the cycle.

2. Intestial Parasites
As mentioned before, coccidial infection is very common in some areas, and some vets will simply treat a baby rabbit's diarrhea as coccidia, even without a fecal test. Common antibiotics used to treat coccidia include Albon and the potentiated sulfas, such as Trimethoprim Sulfa (TMZ) or Bactrim

.........if you copy this down you can show it to the vet and see what they say.

He had antibiotics and is on Lacto b. I have to take him in the morning if he is no better. I am sat here in tears at the thought of losing him. He seemed brighter but then just wanted to rest again. Is this normal?

Is he still consuming critical care? Eating hay or greens? Fiber is most important here to keep the gut moving! Keep your chin up..

He took some about half hour ago and has just refused it. He isn't allowed green as he is only 10 weeks and as for hay he hasn't eaten any for a while.:cry:

He probably needs lots of rest if he's fighting off germs, so it's good you're keeping him warm - the baby ward in hospitals is always really warm! I think you and your vet are doing all you can do, so hopefully he's a fighter :)

Back