• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis & Supa Rabbit Excel

michelle&holly

Young Bun
Hi All,

Well the past 2 days have been rather worrying for me. I got Holly out of her hutch Sunday morning to find her very dull & not eating. I hadn't actually seen her eat since the previous day.

I put her in the kitchen & she sat in one corner huddled in a ball - but kept shifting her weight as if she was uncomfortable.

I tried to tempt her with a treat but she would eat or drink so i decided to get her to the emergency vets.

The vet checked everything over, teeth, temperature, tummy etc & gave her some antibiotic, painkiller & Rimydyl (baytril was one of the others not sure which).

Took her to the normal vets tpday as advised & she has had painkillers & Gut stimulant again & is eating now.

I was so worried :cry: . The vet advised me to get Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel.

Does anyone use this & is it good? Also does anyone know what might have caused Holly to stop eating? And will it be something she suffers froms in the future?

Thanks
Michelle&Holly

She currently has Chudleys Rabbit Royale - about a cup a day. Plus unlimited Hay & veggies every day.

But the vet told me to get supa rabbit excel - so i bought some today to try her on that instead. Although don't know if its different.

Vets always tend to recommend that food. Some people use it on here, but most seem to prefer Science Selective or A&P.

How old is she?

I don't think any bun should have unlimited veggies btw :-/ [unless I've read that incorrectly - damn internets!]

Excel is better than Rabbit Royale, however Science Selective, Bunny Basics and A&P are higher in fibre than Excel. If you can buy SS, Bunny basics or A&P pellets locally you would be best to wean you are bun over to this over the next couple of weeks.

Sometimes bloat occurs due to the introduction of a new food, an excess of one type of food being fed, some rabbits have an intolerance to certain foods like cauliflower, broccoli. Foods high in sugars / carbs can ferment in the stomach particuarly in warm weather when fresh foods can go off quicker. Cut fresh grass also will ferment if not eaten quickly. Sometimes bloat is brought on as a result of a number of small factors, rather than a one off large event, often these events are not know. There are many other factors ....

It is never known if a rabbit is more susceptible to developing bloat if it has had one event. However it is wise for any bun who has had an episode of bloat to be fed a failry static diet which is high in fibre, with huge amounts of hay.

I use excel (Smokey loves it, Inky, not so much). It is pellets but I'm changing to Science selective because it has higher fibre and Smokey has a sticky bottom with excel. Having said that, it's worth a try, just change it gradually though.

My girls all ate the Royale food in rescue. It's cheap and they love it, but tend to pick out the bits that are less healthy and leave the other bits. I put my girls onto science selective when I got them and they loved it - but I only started with a small amount, gradually increasing it as their stomachs got used to it. I didn't have any of the food from the rescue given me, so that was all I could do - but in any case science selective contains probiotic for their stomach, and lots of fibre, and I only feed a small handful morning and evening - they shouldn't have more than that as they mainly should eat hay.
I get science selective online as pet shops don't tend to have it, and I've heard excel can cause too many sticky poops.

Bertie has Excel at the mo, no probs with stickyness at all, but he only has a handful a day. I mix in a bit of Fab mix food too for texture.
I didn't know about SS until I joined the forum, so I'm gonna go with the experience of these good folks and switch when this bag starts to run out.

Bertie has Excel at the mo, no probs with stickyness at all, but he only has a handful a day. I mix in a bit of Fab mix food too for texture.
I didn't know about SS until I joined the forum, so I'm gonna go with the experience of these good folks and switch when this bag starts to run out.

Sometimes it is an idea to start changing when you have plenty of the old food left, some rabbits are a little more tricky to swap over than others and can take ages, particuarly if they have also been used to a mix. That way you dont end up haivng to buy another bag, you can then change over very slowly which with some buns is the only way.

To make life easier for you I would get them down onto one type of food before you start weaning them over as this can make it more tricky to do.

Sometimes it is an idea to start changing when you have plenty of the old food left, some rabbits are a little more tricky to swap over than others and can take ages, particuarly if they have also been used to a mix. That way you dont end up haivng to buy another bag, you can then change over very slowly which with some buns is the only way.

To make life easier for you I would get them down onto one type of food before you start weaning them over as this can make it more tricky to do.

Thanks for the help, will do :D

How old is she?

I don't think any bun should have unlimited veggies btw :-/ [unless I've read that incorrectly - damn internets!]

Sorry i meant unlimited Hay & i give her some veggies every morning (not unlimited veggies)

She is 1year 9 months old.

I think i may try her on the excel for a bit - get her used to eating pellets & then have a think about Science Selective.

Whats A&P?

Holly is looking much better today - she has eaten her rocket & her dried food. Have just managed to put her out in run (a break in the rain at last!).

I recently gave her some carrot tops which she has never had before - do you think that could have caused the bloat?

Do you guys think this is just a one off rather than a recurring problem? Is it usual for a bun this young to get it - or is it not age specific?

Sorry about all the questions - just want to understand & know i did or gave her anything wrong.

Luv
Michelle&Holly xxx

Back