• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

SPAY AFTER CARE

karen&poppy

Warren Scout
Hi, Poppy was spayed and had her teeth done yesterday. I'm not sure about through the night but she doesn't appear to have moved from her carry case into her run at all. I held a water bottle near her last night and she drank from it, but wouldn't get up to use it. I then put a bowl of water in there and she drank from it. She appears to have nibbled at one spinach leaf and a couple of sprigs of parsley. But...i can't see whether she's poo'd yet cos she's still in the carry case. Should i lift her out and look? How tender will her tummy be? I'm so scared of hurting her! Also, will she be in a lot of pain from her teeth? Seemed to take her a while to swallow water as if she was swollen etc

Do you know if she was given any pain relief? If not, she may be in pain so you could see about giving her some Metacam but I would speak to your vet first because if she has had pain relief I think it lasts for 24 hours.

Try to encourage her to eat by giving all her favourite foods.

If you are at all worried though, I would pop her back to the vets.

Gemma xx

vet said she's been dosed up so she should be fine. i just dont like seeing her like this she's usually running about pestering me to pick her up!! have given her all her fave foods and think she's maybe nibbled a little. she just keeps doin that thing where they collapse on the floor to have a lie down! i'll give her a couple more hours then try and give her a look over. what you reckon?

I've only had experience of one bun post spay and she acted just like Poppy in that she couldn't seem to cope with a water bottle and was happy to use a bowl. She did nibble at some hay and had a half-hearted atttempt at some pellets and each time she just seemed to flop down and moved very little at all. She perked up about a day later. I was worried about lifting her in case I hurt her, but I was worried about her lying for so long in her litter tray(!) , so I lifted her up(she didn't seem to mind actually) and realised that the tray was damp and needed cleaning anyway. Someone here suggested I put some of her vet bed on top of the litter tray as then any moisture would wick away from the surface(it works like a baby's disposable nappy) and keep her undercarriage dry. There was evidence a few stray poos around, though. If you are at all anxious give the vet a ring.

Is she outside?

If she is, I'd bring her into the house, it will be much easier to nurse her.

Try giving her all her favourite foods, it might tempt her. I found with Smokey that she was really tender for a couple of days. Has she got a mate? If so, you could put them in with her, it will help her to heal because she will feel more relaxed.

Is she outside?

Try giving her all her favourite foods, it might tempt her. I found with Smokey that she was really tender for a couple of days. Has she got a mate? If so, you could put them in with her, it will help her to heal because she will feel more relaxed.

Is she outside?

she is an outside bunny but she has been inside since last night in my conservatory - dont want to over heat her in my house as its gone a bit cold today. she's in her carry-case which is standing in her run. she's ventured out into her run once. i can't see any evidence of poo/wee cos she's just shoved the towel that she's been lay on since yesterday out and i can't see any. she wasn't eating but...i've just witnessed a miracle! she refuses point blank to eat hay. i've tried her on loads of different types and she's just not interested. so i ordered some from dustfreehay.co.uk, it just came and i gave her a handful and she ate 2 pieces! i'm so proud of her! hopefully now she's nibbling she'll start to go to the toilet? i've got a vets appointment for her tomoro morning for a post-op check up. i'm gona give her til later then try and pick her up. she doesn't mind me stroking her but just doesn't want to leave her hide-out! am so worried!

oh and no she hasn't got a mate, thats the next job on my list! but she's got her teddy bear in there so she's lay cuddling that

When my bun Pippa was spayed, it was Tuesday and she hardly moved at all on Weds although I managed to persuade her to eat grated carrot. Then I mixed some pellets and hay up with the carrot and fooled her into eating that way. It wasn't until Friday that she really perked up. After all it is major surgery.

Looking back I'm sure Pippa was in pain and knowing more now I'd take her back for more painkillers, so don't hesitate to demand some more if you think she needs them. I think what they give them lasts 24 hours so i would hope the vet would agree to some more by tonight

Hope she picks up soon

Kathryn x

ok i'll give it a try, i've given her a massive selection of naughty treats but she doesn't seem interested. think i'm going to leave her to it for the rest of the day - i caught her hopping out of her hideaway before and she scurried back in when she saw me so i dont think she's in pain. i think she's just sleepy! vets appointment is first thing tomoro morning so i'll demand more meds if i think needed then. thanks for all your advice. i researched spay after care so much before i subjected her to it but i just wasn't prepared to see her like this, its horrible!

karen&poppy said:
i researched spay after care so much before i subjected her to it but i just wasn't prepared to see her like this, its horrible!

That's exactly how I felt, so guilty for putting her through it :( From now on my rabbits come ready spayed :lol:

Once she starts eating, she should start going to the loo.

I hope she starts to feel better soon.

Buns do like to worry us!

PS- Mods, sorry for double posting, I don't know how it happened.

i'm going to cut up some apple and see if i can tempt her to eat. i feel like i should just leave her alone but i want her to eat too! i do feel really guilty! do you think shes in discomfort from having her molar's filed too?

If Poppy has not yet poo'd I think you need to contact your Vet TODAY to request a gut motility stimulant and some more pain relief.
It is also important to check the wound TODAY so you will need to pick her up at some stage.
Her mouth may be a bit uncomfortable after the Dental, another reason to request more pain relief for today.
Try offering her some hand picked grass and dandelion leaves.

Janex

I will ring the vet now then, thank you for your advice. Not that money is remotely an issue but will i have to pay for these extra meds? (Just so i know how much to take with me). She can have things worth 100's of £'s if it'l work! She seems much much happier in herself, i removed her hideaway for 2 minutes to change the towel in it which was a bit wet in 1 corner so i think she's weed OK and she was hopping about the run attacking her parsley plant etc. Will still ring the vet about the gut stimulant thing. I'm going to pick her up now and inspect the wound

she's a right little tinker, the minute i start posting on here panicking about stuff is the minute she starts doing all the things she made me worry about in the first place! i just picked her up and her wound looks fine. few speckles of blood around it but old blood, nothing new and everything else looks perfect. she's licked it a couple of times but the minute i say 'poppy no' she stops! she's now eating loads of hay and when i picked her up there was a pile of poo's underneath her. she got moody cos i had her on her back looking at her wound for a few mins and the minute i put her down she did the biggest wee ever! now she's hopping about fine! thank you so much for all your advice, i will keep you posted!

Back