• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

11 week old baby with bloat

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
i have a baby male french lop 11 weeks old in at the moment,he is 1 of a litter of 6 i rescued them when they were 7 weeks old,up untill monday every1 was fine on tuesday i noticed the blue male was quieter than normal he hadnt eaten over night and his tummy was huge so i took him to see the vet & he was given a painkiller a gut stimulant and an antibiotic i was then told to syringe feed him fibreplex and critical care food which i have bn doing he,s been to the vets every day for repeat injections my vet says he,s not in pain but im not so sure is there anything else i can do for him?
he,s running free in my lounge hoping with regular movement it will get things moving but he is still not going to the loo
im so worried i dont want him to suiffer and there is absolutely no improvement at all any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated

My bun had the same problem, I gave him califig, it will help him go. Tummy massages can help too.
Also a bunny lady near me swears by caolin and morphine in the water, it's a pain killer and will help the diarhea to become more solid, but I'm not sure about it with other pain killers.

my 11 week old jack has just got over bloat....i nevasaw any of it cos they him in hospital for a week nearli........if youv been goin to the vets and hes on medsa dnt really no wat to say.......after id given jack his meds i did masage his tummy thats wat they wa duin in hospital

I would not give Kaolin and Morphine. Morphine is an opiate and should not be administered without veterinary advice.

Infacol (Simethicone) can be given. It is available from most supermarkets, in the Baby Care Section. It helps break up the gas. You give 2ml first off.

Is Baby drinking? He may need sub-cut fluid therapy to prevent dehydration

Have you any healthy adult Rabbits you could harvest some caecotrophs off? You then mix them with the Critical Care feed. A bit gross, I know, but they are the best source of 'healthy gut flora'.

Vitamin C is also meant to help reduce the absorbtion of 'bad gut bacteria' into the bloodstream. Blackberry leaves can help alter the PH of the guts making it a less favourable environment for bad bacteria to multiply in the first place.

If Baby is not improving I'd go back to the Vet again today.
I do hope Baby Bun gets better

Janex

Back