• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Would you return to the vets?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
Billy wasn't interested in breakfast yesterday, so we had a trip to the vets. Within about an hour of coming home, he was showing interest in food again (soon after he was ravenous!) he ate dinner & breakfast, but started refusing treats about 11am (that's when he was due his morning dose of everything).

He has metacam (2x/day), Cisapride (2x per day), Fiberplex (3x per day) and critical care (4x per day, but I skipped the dinner/breakfast feed because he'd eaten as normal). The vet gave him a gut stimulant injection and something with fluids in it.

Because he's re-lapsed, do I need a new vet trip, or do I continue treatment as per yesterday's advice?

Edit to mention: he's had a teeth check and a once over, but I am wondering if something else is bothering him. He's 11 now.

Took him back to the vets, they want to keep him in overnight. Quite worried about him, there was nothing obvious, but it's very stressful given his age.

I'm sorry the vets wanted to keep him in overnight. I hope they can establish what the issue is and treat it successfully.

Poor Billy, hope the vets can help can help him, and hope he's soon back home, sending lots of vibes for him xx

Given his age, the vets likely wants to be extra cautious. Sending vibes he is soon home a d on his way to a full recovery.
Hugs for you too.

Thanks all, Billy came home last night, he was back to feeling hungry again, but was eating less because of stress so better to have him home.

They've gone heavy duty: paracetemol, gabapentin & metacam for pain, cisapride, emaprid and fiberplex for digestion + a critical care feed mid-day, even if he is eating. If I wean him off these and he reverts to not eating, then we have to investigate further.

Hopefully his drug cocktail and supportive feeds will help. I usually find trying to optimise fluid intake is beneficial. If the Vet wasn’t happy to allow fluid therapy to be done at home then I’d try to encourage him to drink as much as possible and feed his veg etc wet from rinsing it if he will eat it wet, some Rabbits won’t. You could give him some oral fluids by syringe after administering each dose of meds too. Fluids will not only help gut motility but will help his kidneys which will be under pressure from metabolising all the drugs.

I’d monitor his wee output as well as his poo. Sending lots of vibes for him x

Thanks! Syringing water didn't even occur to me!

He may be sick, but he still has the energy to incessantly hump Poppy :roll:

Thanks! Syringing water didn't even occur to me!

He may be sick, but he still has the energy to incessantly hump Poppy :roll:

Hopefully if he still has the energy to be a humpy pest it means he isn’t feeling too bad within himself. If he had been being very humpy prior to becoming poorly it could be that he hurt his back. So back pain caused him to not eat and then his gut motility to slow down.

Given the heavy duty analgesia he’s now on I am guessing that your Vet has a similar opinion. Just need to try to discourage the humping as with all the analgesia he won’t feel when he’s over exerted himself and there’s a risk he will irritate any spinal problem/arthritis even more. I realise stopping him humping won’t be easy though. In fact he might feel driven to do it even more after being picked up to be medicated.

Whoever it was who claimed that Rabbits are easy Pets to care for lied!

Hopefully if he still has the energy to be a humpy pest it means he isn’t feeling too bad within himself. If he had been being very humpy prior to becoming poorly it could be that he hurt his back. So back pain caused him to not eat and then his gut motility to slow down.

Given the heavy duty analgesia he’s now on I am guessing that your Vet has a similar opinion. Just need to try to discourage the humping as with all the analgesia he won’t feel when he’s over exerted himself and there’s a risk he will irritate any spinal problem/arthritis even more. I realise stopping him humping won’t be easy though. In fact he might feel driven to do it even more after being picked up to be medicated.

Whoever it was who claimed that Rabbits are easy Pets to care for lied!
There is no stopping him from being humpy unfortunately. Billy has 2 settings: really humpy and extremely humpy. Poppy has spent 2 days sleeping in a tunnel now :( she has such a miserable life with him really.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

There is no stopping him from being humpy unfortunately. Billy has 2 settings: really humpy and extremely humpy. Poppy has spent 2 days sleeping in a tunnel now :( she has such a miserable life with him really.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Am I right in thinking that Billy had diagnostics re adrenal gland hyperplasia?

Back