• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I just got a giant bunny!!

Ive never had 1 before but the farm that are near where i work brought one in yesterday with a sore eye and an absess underneath it. The vet told the man that it would cost around £200 for an X-ray, removal of absess etc, and the man called the farm manager who asked for a price for P.T.S!! I was so shocked I said that i would take her home as other than that she is healthy she is such a cutie and I am taking her back to the vets tomorrow to be fixed :lol: I dont know much about giants so is there anything i should know that is different to keeping normal buns (apart from the hutch size and amount of food she need lol). Also I was told she was being kept with a guinea pig :roll: :roll:

aww good for you saving her from being pts dont know anything bout giants im afraid

*cough* piccies *cough cough* :D

I've just got my first giant rabbit Stanley, so I'm still learning. Plenty of exercise as they can suffer from sore hocks, they never stop eating!!!!, a large hutch, they are very loving, they are very heavy so get them used to being handled.
Get ready for all the comments ....people always want to pass comment on your big bun (I said bun not bum!!!!!! :lol: )

But most of all.....enjoy!!!!!

Paula XX

Hi
Good on you for rescuing this poor bun. Haven't got a giant but have a 15 week old french lop who is getting bigger by the day!

Enjoy your giant. Good luck.

xx

Aww lucky you were there!

I do not have a giant but i do have..bertie..a french lop who varies between 10 and 12 lb/5kg in weight. Hes about 2 and a half feet long and his head is the size of a football! His back feet are 6 inches long..ehem,,hes a small frenchie as well! Giants are mad..whereas frenchies are lazy wot nots! Once theyre a year old they decide to sleep for britain! A diet like any other bun..just larger quantities of course!!
Bertie has a ferplast trio litter pan from bunnybasics and can only just fit!
Bertie is a house bun but when the weather gets drier he can now go back in the garden..erm no pen for him..hes like a dog! And as for digging to escape..um only if he can pay bif or the kittens to do it for him!
My friend said giants stay skitty and are more energetic than frnechies but seeing theyre bigger id like to know how!
When bertie was residing at the home where hed once been a show/stud bun and then became a pet..he had a shed to himself with a massive hutch in it and a run all open so he could have freedom of the garden during the day but he doesnt exactly do much to exercise..apart from chase the greens around the cofe table legs!
May i suggest you go the shop on the ross rabbits website..they sell lead and harnesses especially for frenchies/giants!

heres a site i fell in love with before we even had bif..its to far away from me or id go there for another frenchie..theyre massive with size and a warm heart.
i always had my heart set on a flemish giant after reading about one in our area some years ago that walked on soutshea common and chased the dogs ! his name was mr thunper..
anyhoo try these links

http://www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk/4498/index.html

http://www.british-giantrabbits.co.uk/7.html

do you remeber dory the giant bun who saved her woners life? i found this site where shes a baby with her mum!

http://www.acle-giant-rabbits.co.uk/html/gallery.htm

the care section is very informative about size of hutch food etc...
http://sunnyoaksrabbits.tripod.com/id1.html

oh and be prepeared for the biggest poos youve ever seen!

I found using a dog bowl for water and one for food was easiest for bertie to eat and drink..although his owner had used a bottle for him..he prefers a bowl..he drinks loads!
Although theyre bigger do not make the mistake of feeding huge amounts of greens..a bit in the mornings with hay..a ryvita mid morning and a carrot nub and broccoli floret in the afternoon alongside the pelleted food.

They are more slow to move etc than usual sized buns..i was worried sick..i though bertie was ill..he hardly moved..pmsl..he stil doesnt! He is too big for a doggy crate overnight with bif..he fills an armcahir for a snooze..but cant jump very easily..he has short legs and a big body..so my daughters just got him some doggy steps from telebrands and hes in his element coming up onto the setteee for hugs and snoring in comfort!
His girlfirend bif is a bit smaler than a dwarf lop and she looks funny next to him..when he bends over to wash her head he looks like hes about to eat her!
The real probs with a big bunny is..holding them down to medicate them..holding them still at the vets..and trying to cut their toenails!! Rugby tackles work quite well!!
And as for carriers..well the biggest cat one you can find..i have a fabric one on wheels from ebay and it fits bertie..bif his lady friend..and our two kittens..bertie weighs enough by himself but add to that bif at each vet visit..im glad its on wheels.it comes off as a carrier to put up on the vets table too..a blessing!

good luck with the abscess treatment

big bunnies are so much unlike the norm bunnies..and yet os much like them..theyre unusual in that theyre slow moving..lol!!

the theory is, the giant rabbit are more affectionate to human than little rabbit. I heard this from most than 1 person. With the Flemish Giants that I own, past & present, so far, only 3 out of 4 of my rabbit are nice to me.

None of my rabbit has sore hocks in the past 8 yr. Just because they are big, doesn't mean they'll get sore hocks. Their body is proportional.

Buy a bale of hay, as they should eat more than an average rabbit.

HI - IM very interested in this thread - im about to buy a german giant and posted a message here yesterday asking about housing - maybe he wont need such a GIANT estate now as i thought if they are really lazy :lol: --- any more advice or info would be great - I plan to keep him outside simply because we have 2 jack russells ! We have a farm with a shop selling english animal feeds - im in germany at the moment - bunny will be outside so customers can see him and enjoy him - maybe pet him if he has the right nature. I would love a little petting farm for the customers kids to enjoy but really he is for me - its always been a dream to own one of these wonderful bunnies :)

Any more advice ?? If you have tome can you read my thread on housing and feeding and give opinions? Thankyou! Kerryx

Back