• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rabbit Questions

ness

Young Bun
Hello
I haven't had to post on here for a while. All had been going well with Rupert and Sarah, two veteran rabbits that were given to me seperately and bonded really well. Then Sarah suddenly died recently, which was a shock. But I guess this is what you have to expect when you take on an older rabbit :cry:
Rupert is suffering, he's moping and as he's prone to not eating if upset in anyway so my first aim is to find him another girlfriend.
I have hunted about and found a little dutch girl for him. She is 3 years old but has pretty well been ignored for all that time. Hence she is nervous and hasn't been handled.
My question is, am I mad taking her on? Can I get her used to being handled or is she a lost cause at that age? Any dutch owners let me know what to expect? Both Rupert and Sarah were in the same boat but a lot older so I didn't really handle them too much, we had a good routine.
Any help really gratefully received,
Ness

I don't think you're mad - I think its great that you are offering this overlooked lady a new home :D
There are lots of people that have taken on a "middle aged" rabbit who has been timid or even agressive and have seen that with time and patience the rabbit has grown to trust them and relax in their new environment. She may never enjoy being picked up (lots of rabbits don't) but once she realises you are the bringer of food and nose rubs I'm sure she will be really happy :D
I look forward to seeing her!

I love Dutch bunnies (as you can see in my signature!! :lol: ) I think it would be lovely to take her on. I am in a position where I need to seriously think about getting a friend for my Clover if I can't get her back in with my other three. Its a shame seeing them on their own isn't it? :( Especially when they have lost a friend.

From what I have learned and from what others have told me, I think Dutch bunnies have a general reputation for being a little nervy and flighty. Obviously thats a sweeping statement but to be honest, my buns have been generally well handled from birth and still prefer the ground :roll: . Two of mine are real wrigglers when lifted, the other two start to breathe very quickly. I don't think that will change now. However, they seem trusting and are affectionate in their OWN way.

Dutch also have a reputation for terrible mischief apparently!

Fiona x

While my Dippy isnt a dutch, shes a lop, she was however about 5-6 years old and she has settled with me lovely, ok so i havent quite bonded her with rocky yet but we have a lovely relationship now and i am so glad that i took her on even thoughi may not have her for a very long time.

Good luck and go for it! xx

Thanks for your replys, I am going to go for it and am very excited! :D I was a bit worried about their "flighty" nature but I think any animal that hasn't been handled is bound to be jumpy. Neither of mine liked to be picked up but loved nose rubs and following me round for treats!
There is just one problem, the lady who has got her is not sure that she's a she, she was sold as a female but she seems to think she might be a he. Shes checking as we speak but fingerscrossed she will still be a she (if you get my drift!).
I don't suppose there is anyway I can get two males to bond?
Thanks again
Ness x

I have a Dutch girl, and she is soo feisty and lively. Yet she is also very loving and would do anything for a cuddle. You never know he may teach her some manners

I have a private theory though that some rabbits just don't like each other (like people), so you can't rely on them getting on. I think you need a back-up plan if the bonding doesn't work - either to be able to keep two separate rabbits, or have a good home for the new one. Is there anybody who can help with the bonding?

I am saying this because of five rabbits I have had, two bonded instantly and easily with no problems, two were, I believe, psycho-rabbits who got on fine through wire but could not be left together, and one I am still trying to find a friend for. Neither of the bonded rabbits liked him, even though they liked each other.

Dutch rabbits are the most amazing little creatures. They are intelligent, easily tamed, easily handled and very laid back. They are also very curious though and need lots of stimulation to keep them occupied.

My dutch marley who lives inside with me has just received a new indoor run complete with £30 worth of toys to try and keep him occupied.

He's my special little guy though and I love him very much. :love:

CrazyBun said:
I have a private theory though that some rabbits just don't like each other (like people), so you can't rely on them getting on. I think you need a back-up plan if the bonding doesn't work - either to be able to keep two separate rabbits, or have a good home for the new one. Is there anybody who can help with the bonding?

I definitely agree with this. Some rabbits just don't like each other, and never will no matter what you do. My girl Mocha will never like Fey and Sprite. In fact, she'd like nothing better than to kill them and she's already tried. :shock: But she dotes on her boyfriend Loki and adores him.

I think it would be a good idea to look for other members here or a rabbit rescue in your area that could help you with bonding. Also read up on it on the internet. There's many different opinions and no one technique will work well with all rabbits. I know on this forum it's popular to put two rabbits together in neutral territory and let them sort things out, but I'd have a whole lot of seriously injured/dead rabbits that way. I've never had an easy bond, even with rebonding sisters Fey and Sprite. This is actually my favorite website on bonding:
http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

I've known older rabbits who adjust to actual attention, etc., very well. Others may need a little work. Patience is the most important thing there. My current foster is about a year old, most likely raised by a meat breeder and he was bought as snake food. Shelter workers think he was in with the snake for a while. Dumped at the shelter when the snake failed to eat him, and after several months was nearly euthanized by this very not-rabbit-savvy shelter due to supposed aggression. I gave him his first nose rub the same night I got him home, and he's been cuddling and begging for pets ever since. No aggression with people at all. Now if only I can get him bonded with Fey and Sprite...

I think alot of confident rabbits actually help nervous rabbits :wink: My Eddie Bun who is very confident has taught his partner Marcel de Bun so many things I think Eddie has benefited him greatly. Marcel was a very nervous rabbit when he first experienced the great outdoors, it has taken nearly a year and he still looks to Eddie on occassions but he has finally learnt to be a rabbit (and enjoying every minute of it) due to Eddie Buns rabbit lessons :wink: 3 years old isn't really that old either, especailly for a dutchie :wink: :D I hear they have quite a good life span.

I agree that a back up plan is good incase the bonding does not work out but given time, love and patience (which you clearly have) you will bring this little lady around and she will enjoy the life that all buns should have :wink: :D :D :D

Back