• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ages for neutering

Flo

Alpha Buck
I am going to keep the litter of 5 that I was fostering, but I am going to have to have them all neutered. How old do they have to be for them to be neutered? Chance is going to be de - plummed next week, and Flo the week after, I know they must be seperate for 6 weeks +.
My others have all been adults when I have had them, and I have just had them done. All bar Diego, I never got him done and being 12..not worth the risk

males are around 4 months when their balls drop females is earlier i do beleive :oops: an't remember now you can check with your vets some like to leave it a certain amount of time

A male can be done as soon as his testcles drop, usually round about 12wks but a female can`t be done til she`s 5-6 mths. :D

Su.x

oh no thats right females are 6 months :oops: my brain isn't working at the mo its like mash :lol:

So could I get away with having the boys all done, and leaving the girls until they are 6 months, or is that not fair on the boys??

I tend to have my boys done as soon as their plumbs drop :oops: :oops: Louis has just been neutered at 17 weeks :shock:

The earlier you have boys neutered the less likely they are to develope unpleasent behaviour like spraying and humping.

5 months is the best age to castrate and 6 months to spey. It can be done earlier if there are pressing reasons, but hormones play a part in growth and IMO are best left to do their job for at least that long.

My vet won't do it before 4 months for a male and 5 months for a female anyway.

Leaving it longer for the girls will also give you a chance to see if any of their characters would benefit from them being left "whole". I have one very nervous girl who if I had had neuteured I think she would have died of being a nervous wreck. Now she has gained a bit more confidence I can have her neutuered safe in the knowledge it wont affect her confidence. x Jess

May have to separate them soon then, and put them back together when they have all been neutered...

You would have to talk to your vet to see what age they will do them. I always get males done as soon as their testicles have dropped (around 12 weeks, sometimes earlier) and females as soon as they are 1kg in weight (usually around 14 weeks depending on breed, earliest I have had done is 12 weeks). There are a lot of benefits in getting them done early. With the boys it prevents the hormones kicking in making them want to start fighting. With the girls it is a simpler op if done early because as they get older they develop a layer of fat around the uterus making the op more complicated, I also find the babies heal a lot quicker. With regards to bonding if both male and female have been neutered I pair them up any time from 9 days after they have both had their ops with no problems atall :thumb:

Ok, this may be a daft question, but how can you tell if the balls have dropped if you don't know how old the bun is? I am guessing that he is 3 to 4 months, but have never had a baby before but was a rescue.

I have used the graphic images that are on here somewhere :oops: They werent too keen at the idea tho!..I think I have two boys and three girls. Two girls and one boy going next week if their spay/neuter goes okay and then the other two, Jasper and Holly are staying here.

The Vets here can have them done as an "early neutered" at the age of 8-12weeks so they wont have to be seperated for 6 weeks.
Or the normal thing is to get them done at 12 weeks and then u have to wait for 6 weeks before u can put them back together
Anna

Back