• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Prespulsid.............

Its Cisapride which is a gut motility stimulant. It works directly on the intestines, whereas Metoclopromide acts on the CNS (speeds up how the nerves supplying the gut make the guts empty)

Cisapride was withdrawn from use for HUMANS due to adverse reactions. Hence it is now very difficult to obtain. It actually works BETTER for Bunnies than Metoclop' but it is doubtful that the manufactures would go to the expence of getting it licenced for Veterinary use..... :cry:

Janex

Thanks, only I have a bun, one of the babies, with bloat and he is on prepulsid and I was told to give 0.5 mls of infacol as well, wouldn't one work against the other or do they compliment each other?

What else can I do for him?

snowy said:
Thanks, only I have a bun, one of the babies, with bloat and he is on prepulsid and I was told to give 0.5 mls of infacol as well, wouldn't one work against the other or do they compliment each other?

You can give both. The Prepulsid will get his guts moving, the Infacol will help break-up the gas in his belly. Is he on any pain relief and is he eating unaided?
Probiotics would be good. I found the Protexin Fibreplex to be excellent when Sir Victor had nasty diarrhoea.

Poor baby Bunny, hope he soon feels better

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
snowy said:

You can give both. The Prepulsid will get his guts moving, the Infacol will help break-up the gas in his belly. Is he on any pain relief and is he eating unaided?
Probiotics would be good. I found the Protexin Fibreplex to be excellent when Sir Victor had nasty diarrhoea.

Poor baby Bunny, hope he soon feels better

Janex

He had 2 drops of metacam yesterday and is having probiotics, can't get the protexin anywhere, i've tried.

He is eating readigrass and hay and he's has a few SS pellets, I've had him runing up and down the hall, yesterday his poo's were like brown water but today they are a lot more solid and formed although still a little soft but vastly improved.

He seems a lot more bright and alert today, but he is the tiniest of the litter!! :cry:

Any other ideas or am I doing everything??

Thanks again

Sorry to hijack this thread but your vet can get a licence for Cisapride.
The licence will cost you about £30 and the vet gets to stock the Cisapride.
It has to be for a named bun ie Dougal

This is how our vet got it. Fionabun paid for the licence.

or you could get hold of the replacement for cisapride, domperidone :wink: I'm sure it will be cheaper.

The reason cisapride was withdrawn was because it caused arrhymias in the heart, so to be honest I wouldnt want to give it to my bunnies

tupperwarequeen said:
or you could get hold of the replacement for cisapride, domperidone :wink: I'm sure it will be cheaper.

The reason cisapride was withdrawn was because it caused arrhymias in the heart, so to be honest I wouldnt want to give it to my bunnies

Is Domperidone used for Parkinsons?

Janex

Interesting thread. My son was on cisapride till he was about 6 months. He was born with gastroschisus, so I can understand why It was used. Im not sure if it had any side effects on James :shock: He was one of the first babies on it and it was given with PNS. Luckily never had to use it on a bunny.

Jack's-Jane said:
tupperwarequeen said:

Janex

Jane you are SO knowledgeable

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/500149.html

its basically used to speed up the GI tract, it works to stop vomiting and reflux.

Steph said:
Interesting thread. My son was on cisapride till he was about 6 months. He was born with gastroschisus, so I can understand why It was used. Im not sure if it had any side effects on James :shock: He was one of the first babies on it and it was given with PNS. Luckily never had to use it on a bunny.

how long ago was that, its been out of use for about 7 years now. We used it all the time, it was our stockin trade drug on the surgical baby ward I worked on :lol: :lol: domperidone is not as effective, :roll: :roll: but its safer...we made sure all our babies had ECG's before starting treatment with cisapride and every couple of weeks until we were sure it didnt affect their hearts

I think he was one of the first babies to have it and the parental nutrition IV system at Bham Childrens. He is 15 now. He was 11 weeks early and only 1lb 8oz born and his op the day he was born was 5 hours. :shock: I dont remember having to sign anything or being warned about cisapride although I had to give my permission for the PNS. He is fine now just has a jumbled up tum, scars and have MRI's to find things :?

Sorry to bring up a child in bunny section :oops:

I've had Prepulsid for a piggy. It was the vet's last batch, and was about 8 months ago. :(

tupperwarequeen said:
Jack's-Jane said:
tupperwarequeen said:

Janex

Jane you are SO knowledgeable

:lol: :lol:
I worked in a GP's Surgery for 8 years and I am OK with learning about things that interest me!! Ask me anything to do with History, Geography, English Lit and I am CLUELESS!!

Oh, and my Maths and spelling are rubbish too :roll:

SORRY Theo, did not mean to hijack your thread.... :oops:

Janex

Steph said:
I think he was one of the first babies to have it and the parental nutrition IV system at Bham Childrens. He is 15 now. He was 11 weeks early and only 1lb 8oz born and his op the day he was born was 5 hours. :shock: I dont remember having to sign anything or being warned about cisapride although I had to give my permission for the PNS. He is fine now just has a jumbled up tum, scars and have MRI's to find things :?

Sorry to bring up a child in bunny section :oops:

ahhh it was Bham kids where I worked :D

We didnt know about the problems with cisapride tillabout 12 years ago, but even so we wouldnt hve asked for permission, its all down to the docs assessing the risk vs benefits. Glad to hear he's doing ok, was he on ITU or PB2- i was on PB2!!

That's OK, this is really interesting!!, sometimes when you ask a question you just get an answer and that's that but when you get other information I find it fascinating, I also think that the more you know a background the better chance of remembering it!!

So, this is interesting and nobody is hijacking....honest :lol:

As each hour goes by he seems to be looking better....or at least I hope that's not just 'wishful thinking', but his poo's are getting much better, but how will I know when the bloat has gone?

Thanks for all the help

snowy said:
That's OK, this is really interesting!!, sometimes when you ask a question you just get an answer and that's that but when you get other information I find it fascinating, I also think that the more you know a background the better chance of remembering it!!

As each hour goes by he seems to be looking better....or at least I hope that's not just 'wishful thinking', but his poo's are getting much better, but how will I know when the bloat has gone?

Thanks for all the help

If you have a feel of his belly now, then again in a few hours you should be able to notice a difference as the gas should have dispersed. He wont look so 'pot-bellied'
It sounds very promising that his poo is firming up and the fact he is eating is great. The more fibre he gets the better so hopefully he is nibbling at hay.

Oh and you can buy Fibreplex here

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
snowy said:

Thanks for all the help

If you have a feel of his belly now, then again in a few hours you should be able to notice a difference as the gas should have dispersed. He wont look so 'pot-bellied'
It sounds very promising that his poo is firming up and the fact he is eating is great. The more fibre he gets the better so hopefully he is nibbling at hay.

Janex

OK, when this started I could tap his tummy and it sounded like a drum, kind of hollow, now it is softer, not so hard, and the 'fatness' around his middle is going down.....I think anyway :roll:

But, he is running about and he is eating lots of oxbow hay and readigrass so I am very hopeful

Thanks for all the info

snowy said:
Jack's-Jane said:
snowy said:

Thanks for all the help

Janex

OK, when this started I could tap his tummy and it sounded like a drum, kind of hollow, now it is softer, not so hard, and the 'fatness' around his middle is going down.....I think anyway :roll:

But, he is running about and he is eating lots of oxbow hay and readigrass so I am very hopeful

Thanks for all the info

Sounds as though he is well on the mend!! :D

Janex

Back