PDA

View Full Version : Santa: snuffles made worse by allergy??

AlisonA
19-08-2006, 10:43 AM
:cry: In spite of the penicillin injections, the snuffles has recurred - it died down for a few days but now it's come back even worse than before :cry:

She's going in on Monday for a tear duct flush, is there anything else you'd suggest at the same time? I was wondering whether it's worth getting dental x-rays done to check her teeth although that would involve full GA wouldn't it?

I'm starting to feel like we're running out of options and I hate to see my baby unwell :cry:

But on the plus side, Chloe has recovered well from her spay and doesn't understand why I won't let her run up and down the stairs as normal :roll:

the happy bee
19-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Poor Santa, give her lots of healing nose rubs from me, I hope she gets better soon.

Good news about Chloe though.
Mummy will let you play on the stairs once your all healed, Chloe!

Jack's-Jane
19-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh no Alison I am sorry Santa is snuffly again :cry:

It sounds like further investigation is going to be needed doesnt it.
Maybe now is a good time with her being on treatment so the bugs will have been reduced even if not cleared up completely. Also Melinda is still there. There is nothing like having a TRUSTED Vet when dealing with a tricky problem.

I guess that Santa's facial structure goes against her really as Nethies are prone to Dental problems and consequently all the things that go with them. I think I would ask Melinda if she could do a head X-ray without GA. I guess it depends on how stressed Santa would get. I would imagin if tooth roots can cause problems for the nasolacrimal ducts they can cause problems for the nasal sinuses too :? :?

What a worry for you :(

Janex

AlisonA
19-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks Jane, I've been in tears all morning. Dudley is going in with her which will help keep her calm, but she is just such a highly strung rabbit that I'm worried the stress generally will make the snuffles worse anyway, but I think we're lacking choice now. At least Melinda says her lungs are still sounding clear so that's something positive at least! And also far from losing weight she has actually gained a little :shock: I'm going to be a gibbering wreck on Monday :cry:

Jack's-Jane
19-08-2006, 11:05 AM
If only we could make our very nervy Buns understand that we would NEVER let anything harm them and taking them to the Vet is to help them.

At least if you and Melinda can get a broader picture of what is going on you will know what you are up against. The fact that her lungs sound clear is great. Makes me all the more inclined to think that its Santa's skull structure that is exacerbating any bacterial infection.
I will tell Nomad to send looks of his special positive vibes for Santa on Monday and some calming vibes for you!!

Janex

Marlene
19-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Snuggles to you both

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Marlene_154/Hug%20and%20things/99.gif

Inimical Me
19-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Awwww, poor little Santa. I hope you can get to the bottom of it and she gets better. After all, she is the prettiest rabbit in the world ;).

xEMMAx
19-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Poor Santa :( Sending lots of vibes... hope she's back to normal soon xx

SarahP
19-08-2006, 12:22 PM
So sorry to hear about Santa. Clover and Dusty send healing vibes, and a special message that Melinda was very nice to them.

AprilShower
19-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Sorry to hear Santa's not well. :(
Sending loads of healing vibes to her. xxx

Jennifer. xxx

sparklefairy
19-08-2006, 01:08 PM
awwwwww poor little santa :( sending healing vibes to her xxxxxx

Rallybunny
19-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Poor Santa, I hope she feels better soon.

loopylop
19-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Awww not poor Santa again :(

I hope she gets well soon and it's just a bad bout of it :(

Gentle nose rubs to Santa xxxx

AlisonA
19-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Laura :no: Haven't you learnt yet that Santa is a SHE :wink:

Having read FHB again today I'm wondering if there is another bacteria in there which wasn't picked up on the last swab. Maybe bordatella which is resistant to penicillin and may explain why there was an initial pick-up as the pasteurella element was killed, but then a dip after that? I think I'm going to ask if she can try and get a decent swab on Monday if possible, although if she is on antibiotics and are using antibiotics in the flush, I'm not sure if it will tell us anything :?

loopylop
19-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Laura :no: Haven't you learnt yet that Santa is a SHE :wink:

I did know!!!!! It was a typo!!!! oops!! Sorry Santa!

bunny-mad
19-08-2006, 04:50 PM
I thought penicillin was meant to be extremely harmful for rabbits?

If you're worried about the teeth and roots then I would have a skull x-ray taken asap. b-m

AlisonA
19-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Penicillin is only harmful if given orally. Of course there are always risks with any antibiotics and rabbits, but penicillin is relatively safe when given by injection. It's the usual treatment of choice for snuffles if other antibiotics are not working.

bunny-mad
19-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Penicillin is only harmful if given orally. Of course there are always risks with any antibiotics and rabbits, but penicillin is relatively safe when given by injection. It's the usual treatment of choice for snuffles if other antibiotics are not working.

Oh right, well I hope Santa is ok. b-m x

SarahP
19-08-2006, 09:12 PM
How is Santa?

AlisonA
19-08-2006, 09:17 PM
She is ok, thanks. It seems to come and go, sometimes she is running about fine, other times she has huge amounts of snot. She has a sore little nose too where it's been running so much, is there anything I can put on it to soothe it (if she'll let me!)

SarahP
19-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Aloe vera gel would be nice and soothing.

Happy Hopping
20-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Alison, gaining a bit of weight is actual very good news for a rabbit under the weather. Keep at it. Healthy healing vibes sending to Santa.

loopylop
20-08-2006, 09:17 AM
She is ok, thanks. It seems to come and go, sometimes she is running about fine, other times she has huge amounts of snot. She has a sore little nose too where it's been running so much, is there anything I can put on it to soothe it (if she'll let me!)
Vasaline would also work as a barrier too!

AlisonA
20-08-2006, 12:12 PM
What about combining the two and giving vaseline with aloe vera, I have some of that to hand.

I suspect the weight gain is from the porridge with septrin sauce she was having a couple of weeks ago. I know porridge is very fattening and I suspect the septrin is sugary and calorific as it is a children's medicine.

Santa seems ok today, much better than yesterday thankfully :D

Jack's-Jane
20-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Alison do you think our Buns sneak online when our backs are turned, Google all the Veterinary Sites and devise how best to test us..... :roll:

Glad Santa is having a better day today and me and all the Buns wish her well for tomorrow.

Janex

AlisonA
20-08-2006, 12:34 PM
They must do, Jane. Perhaps there's a special bunny site "How to behave, to get fed the best tasting medicines" :lol:

tmak
20-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Aww get well soon Santa x, I hate it when they're ill :(

the happy bee
20-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Good luck at the vets tomorrow Santa!

Jack's-Jane
21-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Sending Mega positive vibes for Santa today.
Will be thinking of both her and you Alison
Please update us ASAP.

Janex

AlisonA
21-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks everyone - I've just dropped them off at the vets, it's going to be a looooong day! :cry: She wasn't too bad this morning so I thought about cancelling, but I figured that she's going to need it done at some point so probably best on a day when she's not so bad. My poor baby, I hope she's ok, I'm worried about the stress on her more than anything :cry:

Apache
21-08-2006, 07:41 AM
((hugs))

Fingers crossed for you both...

Really good that she is feeling a bit better

Jx

Jack's-Jane
21-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Any news on Santa yet?

Janex

AlisonA
21-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Santa is back home again, she is VERY cross with me and has run away and hidden in a corner of the garden. I'm just leaving her alone to calm down for a while, I hope today hasn't stressed her out too much :? Her tooth roots look ok though so it's not that causing it.

Edit: oooh sorry Jane, cross posted with you there! Just took me 6 minutes to type those three sentences :lol:

Jack's-Jane
21-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Santa is back home again, she is VERY cross with me and has run away and hidden in a corner of the garden. I'm just leaving her alone to calm down for a while, I hope today hasn't stressed her out too much :? Her tooth roots look ok though so it's not that causing it.

Edit: oooh sorry Jane, cross posted with you there! Just took me 6 minutes to type those three sentences :lol:

Awwww glad the 'ickle Bun is home :D She will forgive you I am sure.
Good news re the tooth roots :thumb:
Although it doesn't explain her recurrent Snuffles :? :?
Could it be a reaction to an allergen rather than Bacterial I wonder :?
Some Vets do a trial of an antihistamine? No experience of using them for my Buns but maybe Melinda might know.

Nomad sends a Bunny Snuggle to Santa but says please dont tell Dudley :shock: :roll: :lol:

Janex

SarahP
21-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Is she getting echinacea? Might be worth a try if not. :?

AlisonA
21-08-2006, 05:53 PM

Hmmm, hadn't really thought of that. It's only(!) been the past month that it's not gone away, there's definitely lovely white snot there and previous bouts have cleared up fairly well with antibiotics. I did ask about doing a swab today but Melinda felt that having had so many different antibiotics thrown at her recently, there wasn't much chance in getting a useful swab as you wouldn't get deep without anaesthatising her.

I think I'll clear out everything from their shed and just put vetbed in there and hay in a rack and see if that makes any difference. Jane can you remember if the snuffles had flared up when I brought you Nomad, the only other thing that has changed since then is I started using A&P? There wouldn't be anything allergenic in that would there?? :shock:

Sarah - yes she has echinacea, they absolutely love it in their water, they drink loads more when it's echinacea week!

Jack's-Jane
21-08-2006, 06:11 PM

Hmmm, hadn't really thought of that. It's only(!) been the past month that it's not gone away, there's definitely lovely white snot there and previous bouts have cleared up fairly well with antibiotics. I did ask about doing a swab today but Melinda felt that having had so many different antibiotics thrown at her recently, there wasn't much chance in getting a useful swab as you wouldn't get deep without anaesthatising her.

I think I'll clear out everything from their shed and just put vetbed in there and hay in a rack and see if that makes any difference. Jane can you remember if the snuffles had flared up when I brought you Nomad, the only other thing that has changed since then is I started using A&P? There wouldn't be anything allergenic in that would there?? :shock:

Sarah - yes she has echinacea, they absolutely love it in their water, they drink loads more when it's echinacea week!

I dont recall you mentioning Santa was Snuffley again when you dropped Nomad off. I am not sure about A+P but I am sure one of my Buns, Zack, gets an allergic rhinitis with Excel Pellets. I only have anecdotal evidence but I just know that a few Excel Pellets and he is snotty and sneezing.

Janex

SarahP
21-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Sounds like you might be on to something.

AlisonA
21-08-2006, 08:10 PM
No harm in swapping back wholly to SS for a while to see what happens. The two are mixed together at the moment. She is certainly eating ok this evening so at least she isn't so stressed out by their day out that she's stopped eating. Apparently they spent all day cuddled up together with all the staff going "awwww" whenever they passed by :lol:

I'll keep you posted if stopping the A&P makes any difference :shock:

AlisonA
22-08-2006, 12:34 PM
I've been thinking about this all evening - I realised that the last time she was weighed at 950g was at the start of the penicillin - so that was when the porridge with septrin sauce had finished. She weighed 1kg just a few days ago. I'm now wondering whether this is because she has exercised less because she's been finding it harder to breathe, or whether this could be an indication of fluid retention/allergic reaction to something - whether that be the penicillin itself or the A&P. Is there anything I should be keeping an eye on? I might just be being paranoid, I'm not sure any more :?

It might be my imagination but her eyes look less bulgy today after her tear duct flush. Is that possible or am I just being silly? She is still snotty today but not as bad, seemed quite happy and normal this morning.

Nicola C
23-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Oh no, Alison, sorry I missed this post. How is your lovely little girl doing?
Sending good vibes and big hugs....
Nicola x

AlisonA
24-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Hello Nicola :wave:

Well I've cut out the A&P and gone back to SS, and my little precious is absolutely fine :? Not a hint of a runny nose this morning :? Now I'm REALLY confused!

She had her tear ducts flushed on Monday - would that have got some antibiotic up into her nasal passages as well, or is it more likely that it is/was an allergy causing the symptoms and some snuffles too? Or a bit of both?

I'm happy that she's much better today obviously, and cautious that I don't celebrate too soon as she has been very up and down, but :?

cannonwoman
24-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi Alison,
I`m pleased it sounds like Santa is on the road to recovery. :D Fingers crosssed for you that she continues to get better.

Su.x

loopylop
24-08-2006, 08:07 AM
OMG, thats mad that A&P could cause something like that - or food full stop!

But I guess it's like in humans - all food is different with each of us.

Why not take pics daily Alison, then you might be able to see the difference in Santa's eyes??

Glad lil Santa is feeling better though, what a mad discovery!!!!