• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hazel sneezing/snuffles

Sammy&Patch

Warren Scout
Looking for advice/ideas if anyone has any please. My bunny Hazel is about 5/6 years old (I got her from rescue and have had her 3 years). Last year around this time she had started sneezing and having a runny nose etc, yellow/white discharge. As a previous bunny had similar I was worried it was pasteurella, he was never diagnosed with that but I just thought it could have been. We did a test on Hazel but the lab messed up so we didn't pursue testing further. We did antibiotics for about a month but it didn't clear it up completely, it did help. However, as she was happy and eating the vet said to take her off them as we didn't want to cause her other problems and she has been off them since. She has always got a bit of yellowy white mucous every day or so and sneezes now and then but she's been fine in every other way and eats well, no problems like that.

A few weeks ago she was sneezing a lot more and having more discharge. I got a vet appointment but it wasn't my normal vet. This vet suggested trying again for the pasteurella test and holding off antibiotics until we heard back. She thought that would be a few days. She mentioned it could be allergies and suggested dampening the hay. She said that one side seemed a bit blocked. The hay is from HayBox and is dust extracted, she lives indoors and doesn't have sawdust or anything like that, nothing has changed in her environment so I would be surprised if it was just allergies but I don't know.

Hazel was getting worse, even more discharge and horrible sneezing fits where she just can't stop for like 20 or 30 seconds, it clearly upsets her. Also white discharge came out of her eye a couple of times in the sneezing fits. So I took her back and saw my normal vet but the results weren't in so she still wanted to wait for results before doing antibiotics. She noted one tear duct seemed blocked so she gave me metacalm for 5 days saying this might help if it is inflamed. It didn't seem to make a difference but she didn't get worse. That took me to last sunday, I phoned the vets on tuesday still not having heard back about results and to ask whether to continue. The receptionist asked if it had helped, I said I didn't think it did much so she said there was no point in continuing. She said she would get a nurse to chase the results for me. I came off the phone but then phoned back and said I didn't know what to do as that meant she was on no medication to help her (and I wasn't convinced the lab hadn't mucked up again so we could be waiting for no reason). She asked if she was eating ok which I said yes but she seems exhausted after a sneezing fit and sometimes goes to eat, sneezes, keeps trying to eat then runs off when she can't stop sneezing. She said she would get a vet to phone me back. That evening a different vet phoned me and said to carry on with the meticalm as it might help her feel better if nothing else. I mentioned to her about reading that some people use Bisolven, she said she would speak to my normal vet and mention it, she hadn't prescribed it for rabbits before herself but in theory it was a good idea.

On Friday I got a phone call from my normal vet, she said the results came back negative so that was good. (However I did read you can get a false negative so although I'm glad it didn't say positive, I think it could still be). I had mentioned doing an xray on my previous weekend in case it was teeth related. So the vet suggested we could do that and flush her tear ducts. But I am so scared of having her put under. I asked if we could do the xray without anaesteatic as she has been chest xrayed without before and a previous bunny had a head xray without too as well as another chest xray. So that's 3 times we've avoided anaesthetic. But unfortunately the vet doesn't think we'll be able to do it without as she needs to be on her side for this one. She might be right as my other bunny was very poorly and also well behaved, I think Hazel might be too lively and 'well' to just sit still. But she said we can try if I want. I realise the tear ducts needs to be while she's under anyway but I was hoping something could help and avoid needing to do it.

So we have agreed to do a week of Bisolven first (the vet doesn't think it will be enough but is happy to try it first). Then I have to phone her next friday and we'll decide what next. I think if this doesn't help I would prefer to give antibiotics a try first as they did help a bit last time. My reasoning is there is a risk of dying from aneasthetic but if we tried antibiotics for a couple of weeks and see if it helped, then any side effect is unlikely to have that high a risk (I assume). And if it didn't help we could always then move on to the xrays? That might be a bad idea, I really don't know so I thought I would see what any of you might do in the same situation or any advice.

To help her myself, I have tried her in the bathroom a couple of times for the steam, not sure if it helped but she is easily stressed so it's not ideal to stress her to do that. I also tried olbas oil on some kitchen roll and just holding near her for a bit, again I don't know if that helped or not. I am giving echinacea drops every day to hopefully help her immune system and I think I read apple leaves and twigs are good so I've been giving her a few of them and some brambles and dandelion leaves (all from the garden so no pesticides).

Thanks for reading :)

Sorry to hear Hazel is poorly. Are you concerns about GA related to age or her snottiness / infection? I know its scary giving them a GA but remember its only enough to sedate / relax them. I think you've done well advocating for your bunny. I found bisolvon really helpful for one of mine . I hope she makes progress & does end up need antibiotics. Hopefully you'll get some good replies tomorrow

Sorry this will be in ‘bullet point’ format

Tear duct flushing can sometimes be done without sedation
Using a nebuliser twice a day can be beneficial
Giving abx via nasal drops, if Bunny will tolerate it
Giving abx eye drops
Vet needs to check ears, especially if Hazel is a lop
If symptoms are elongated tooth root related the symptoms are likely to be chronic and progressive in nature
I would be reluctant to put her under GA when symptoms are at their worst without first giving her at least a 10 day cover of a broad spectrum abx

Sorry to hear Hazel is poorly. Are you concerns about GA related to age or her snottiness / infection? I know its scary giving them a GA but remember its only enough to sedate / relax them. I think you've done well advocating for your bunny. I found bisolvon really helpful for one of mine . I hope she makes progress & does end up need antibiotics. Hopefully you'll get some good replies tomorrow

Thankyou for your reply, I think it's because of her age and her being unwell as well I just worry I will lose her if we do an anaesthetic. She always strikes me as being a fragile bunny, she's very sweet, loves her food, she's very gentle. She had a cancer scare when I first got her and had her spayed, luckily it seems like it was all removed in the spey but it probably has made me more worried about her. She has had a few vet trips for stopping eating over the 3 years I've had her, she can get easily upset at any changes. She's not a nervous bunny in a lot of ways but when something upsets her it can effect her. Saying that, there was a very loud alsation at the vets the other day and it didn't phase her, she was hopping about as usual when we got home. Just a thump of the back feet when I let her out the carrier! My other bunny, Shadow, I wouldn't be as concerned about, he seems a bit more robust!

Sorry this will be in ‘bullet point’ format

Tear duct flushing can sometimes be done without sedation
Using a nebuliser twice a day can be beneficial
Giving abx via nasal drops, if Bunny will tolerate it
Giving abx eye drops
Vet needs to check ears, especially if Hazel is a lop
If symptoms are elongated tooth root related the symptoms are likely to be chronic and progressive in nature
I would be reluctant to put her under GA when symptoms are at their worst without first giving her at least a 10 day cover of a broad spectrum abx

Thankyou for your advice, her ears were fine when the vet checked the other day, she has sticking up ears (my other bunny is a helicopter ear and he does have repeated ear infections). I will ask my vet about doing the tear duct without sedation, I don't think i's likely for her as she is probably the worst bunny I have had for struggling and bucking her head around when for example they are looking in her mouth. I will ask about the nasal and eye drops too and also ask to do abx first before the xray/ flush.

Sending lots of vibes for Hazel. Jane gave you everything I did with my late CX who spent half his long life with a sneezing issue, and more.

So sorry poor Hazel is having more sneezing fits, it's not something I've experienced in bunnies, so can't really offer any advice. I hope the vets can help and find the cause. Sending lots of vibes for your girlie xx

Just a quick update: Hazel had her tear ducts flushed and xrays done on thursday under sedation. The vet said it went well, they cleared quite a lot out of one side in particular. Luckily her xrays (head and chest) were all clear, he said her teeth are all good. No signs of anything in chest (I asked them to xray there as well just in case, partly I was worried her cancerous tumour from her spey a couple of years back might have spread). He gave her a long lasting antibiotic, I have eye drops for her as well as loxicom and bisolven. He wants to see her again next week. She looked awful round her eyes when she came back from the vets as her fur was so wet and she had gunky eyes, I was worried it had made things worse! But they look normal again now and she's bright and happy. She has sneezed a few times as well as a sneezing fit again today and still a bit of white discharge from the nose but I'm hoping that will stop in a day or 2. Fingers crossed! The vet said when they have these problems they often have them for life but the hope is the flush will help to get her off medication for a while and at some point likely need to do it again. Thanks for everyones well wishes, I am a very happy bunny she got on ok!!!

Back