• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis-What to Expect From Your Vet

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Recently there have been many bunnies who have passed to Rainbow Bridge because of GI stasis :cry: I am posting this as an UNQUALIFIED LAY-PERSON basing it on my experience from consultations with numerous Vets over the years. I am only trying to pass on information and do not in any way consider myself an expert :)

Firstly, I have learnt the importance in getting to know 'normal' poo from your rabbit. If it gets smaller in size or quantity alarm bells should start ringing.
GI stasis, if not caused by obstuction, comes on gradualy so the sooner you notice it the better.
If your Bun does become poorly with few or no poos and not eating you MUST consult a Vet STRAIGHT AWAY. You should not leave a rabbit who has not eaten for 8 or so hours without treatment.
When you get to the Vet the Vet should examine your Buns abdomen, feeling for signs of abnormality and presence of faeces. The Vet should listen to your Buns tum with a stethescope for gut sounds. Vet shoud also check Buns mouth for signs of dental problems, bladder for signs of infection, ears for signs of infection. (GI Stasis is often a SECONDARY condition to another illness)
If your Vet diagnoses Stasis then a gut motility drug should be given BY INJECTION. There is NO POINT in administering medication orally to a Bun in stasis as it wont go anywhere!!
Pain relief( again by injection) is also ESSENTIAL. If your Vet says it is not necessary my UNQUALIFIED advice would be DEMAND IT and change Vets once crisis situation has resolved.
Fluids are VERY important. A sub-cutaneous injection of fluids can be very helpful.
Antibiotics without evidence of active bacterial infection can exacerbate a GI problem (NB-UNQUALIFIED ADVICE).

If you have a Bun who appears to be a bit 'off colour' please do not delay consulting your Vet. A Bunny should be a constant eating and pooing machine. If they are not doing so, even for a few hours you should CONSULT YOUR VET.

Janex

Thank you Jane :D this info is very useful to know. I completely ran around like a headless chicken when Gypsy went into statis for no apparant reason a few months back. I wouldn't have had the first clue what to expect from the vet. A lot of vets seem to give out antibiotics no mater what the problem, and you just trust they know what they are doing :?

Thank you Jane. Hopefully I will never have to use this info but it'great to have it all the same.

Thanks again

Shiv

Great post Jane - quite agree! I think the nub of it is this:

Jack's-Jane said:
If you have a Bun who appears to be a bit 'off colour' please do not delay consulting your Vet.

Unlike other animals, with whom you may be able to get away with 'seeing how they go'; with a rabbit, the answer is almost certainly - downhill...very quickly. Time is of the essence in treating a poorly bun - early treatment can turn them round very quickly, but a delay in treatment could be the difference between life and death. So if your bun is off colour, please please please consult your vet as soon as possible - even if it on a Sunday or at 3am!

Jane, why didn't you ever qualify as a bunny vet, you'd be a thousand times better than 90% of the ones out there!

One of my babies stopped eating. I saw my usual vet and he was fantastic. But I had to see another one the next day, he was useless, I practically had to yell at him to give me pain relief (metacam (it wasn't a statis problem) as the baby was grinding it's teeth etc.
The next day I saw another vet, who was equally fantastic, she gave pain relief, fluids, an injection to get the guts moving, she did everything it wass possible to do. It's just a shame you can't get consistancy with vets.

Thank you Jane a great Thead, It should be made a sticky!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Back