• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pooey Bum

daisylou

Warren Scout
My new bun Poppy has not been great at cleaning her bum since I got her. I have tried to clean it with baby wipes and warm water with cotton wool. Then last week she started having greeny diarrohea and was very lethargic. One day she also appeared to be very inflamed and sore. She was also getting very agitated when I was picking her up and started biting me. Took her to the vet who said they would sedate her and shave her fur to clean her up. He suggested checking her teeth. When I picked her up they said they had had to file(?) her teeth as they were long on one side and a bit wonky on the other. When I took her home she didn't seem to improve. She still seemed to just want to flop down and has hardly been eating anything. I have only given her hay and yesterday put in some Excel for dwarf rabbits. I cleaned her on Saturday but wanted to give her a break yesterday. When I picked her up to take her for her check up today she was all dirty again, only this time it is sticking to her skin and has wrapped around what is left of her shaved tail. Vet doesn't want to sedate her again and I now have oral antibiotics and some food that I am meant to hydrate and feed her through a syringe. I am worried that as I am on my own I won't be able to bet her clean. She is obviously in pain when I am trying to soak the poo off her and she will only stay upside down for a short period of time. Does anyone know if there is a cream that would be okay to use on her once I have got her clean in the hope it makes her skin less dry and also will help the poo slide off. I am so worried, I got Poppy as a new friend for Bojangles when Mosschops left us suddenly 2 months ago. I feel like I am about to go through the whole thing again:(

Thanks

Louise, Bojangles and Poppy

I can't really help with the pooey bum, sorry :( (I'm sure someone else on here will be able to though) But just make sure you spray a good fly repellent on her and the hutch so that she can't get flystrike, have a pooey bum makes this more likely.
I hope you can get her sorted out :)

you can apply a small amount of sudacrem to sore area..will help prevent infection.....make sure she is getting fluids..syringe if necessary.......if you can get hold of some old , clean towels, try bedding her on those...will be softer for her sore bits..they will need to be changed regularly..old pillowcases will do aswell. Try buying some Science Selective pellets and these can be mashed with water and offered..when you re-introduce pellets try cutting out the excell and using SS instead...most people find this helps to clear up a sticky bun problem.
If the diorrhea is still bad she needs to go back to vet for further investigation as to what is causing the problem.

As has already been said she is at increased risk of flystrike so check her regularly....some Lavender water wiped round outside of hutch and litter tray helps to deter flies...good old fashioned fly-papers can be hung nearby BUT make sure they are attached well and the rabbit cannot get to them.
Keep us posted and wishing her well x

try putting vasaline [ protroliun jelly from any chemist] on here once shes clean and dry, this may help the poo not to stick and will soften her skin. val

aawwww i hope she gets better soon.
Where in the uk are you? maybe someone on here will be close enough to be able to help you if u need it :?

Squidgy had a pooey bum until we sorted his diet out. He now has a treat ball full (about 50g) of Allen and Page pellets, some greens (although these were introduced very slowly) and lots of hay variety. It took some perseverance, but paid off in the end. I hope you get this sorted.

I'm really sorry. Was she a young bunny? My friend bought a baby pet shop bun a while ago and had the same problem with sticky bottom, the rabbit died, she'd only had her a couple of weeks :(

Back