• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could this be mites? Or just lack of grooming?

Graciee

Staff member
1000071926.jpg

I am grooming her but there's like dandruff and I also don't think she can reach her back now. Also like dusty on this area of her fur. I assume it's skin Idk.

Clementine is really depressed I think :(

Get a human lice comb and then put the pieces on a tissue. Then you can magnify it via your phone. You will see whether they have legs! Bleurgh.

Have some disgruntled Clementine at the vets pics 😂

It's not mites! He thinks she's not grooming as much as normal, so we'll see how it goes, he looked at the stuff under a microscope but couldn't see any eggs or anything either. It's true though without Atticus grooming her she doesn't really bother much. She seems really depressed tbh.
1000074500.jpg1000074488.jpg

:cry:
I think she looks sad.
She is sad I think. Idk what to do about it tho tbh. I want to try bonding Willoughby and her, but I'm just not home enough now. Evelyn started a special education school and it's not nearby so I spend all my time taking her there and collecting and then therapy sessions.. My whole life has altered somewhat. I've tried to find someone to bond but can't :(

I'm sorry Gracie, it wasn't meant as a criticism. These things are very difficult to manage and I do understand that. It's not just finding someone willing to do it, but it needs to be someone you can trust.

I'm sorry Gracie, it wasn't meant as a criticism. These things are very difficult to manage and I do understand that. It's not just finding someone willing to do it, but it needs to be someone you can trust.
Oh I know! I didn't take it like that, it's just how I've been feeling for a while about it, but I've not really spoken about it on here. I've been looking and contacting people, it's making me really sad tbh. I know I've gotta figure something out for her tho.

Does she mind being groomed by a human ? I am wondering if you and Evelyn would be able to groom her most days ? Grooming gloves can work well on Rex coats. Or a soft baby hairbrush. Neither are much use at removing the thick tufts from a moulting Rex coat. I do that by hand. But the grooming gloves loosen and remove all the dusty dead skin flakes.

When Lady Lydia lost her one and only soul mate Sir Victor she point blank refused to bond with any other Rabbit. I tried numerous times over the remaining years of her life. But she attacked every single one within seconds. At first she was so depressed she stopped grooming herself and eating 😢 She was used to a lot of handling due to all the treatment she always needed for her chronic ulcerative pododermatitis. So grooming her was not an additional stress for her, she seemed to enjoy the physical contact. She especially liked being stroked with the grooming glove I used.

I realise you are so busy with Evelyn’s new schedule now, but if you had a bit of time to spare perhaps you could both give the grooming a go. Evelyn is so good with the animals and I believe Clementine will pick up on how Evelyn can connect with her in a special way. I probably sound nuts to most people, but hey-ho !!

I feel bad that I have not been able to bond Roisin into a trio with Dara and JJ.Not that Roisin seems to care at all. I can’t adopt another Rabbit and as Roisin has chronic symptomatic ‘Snuffles’ I would only rehome her to someone who’s Rabbit also had the same thing. They would need to be experienced with the management of a Rabbit with chronic Snuffles too. Dara has bouts of symptomatic Snuffles so JJ is no doubt an asymptomatic carrier. They already live in the same room so cross infection will already have happened. Hence why I tried to bond the three of them. Dara made it VERY clear that she was having none of it. You don’t want to mess with an angry Nethie……😳🙄 We persevered for some time, but the stress caused both Snufflers’s symptoms to get worse. In the end and on the advice of our Vet I gave up trying.

Don’t feel bad about Clementine being on her own. You have so much going on. Don’t know how you do it tbh.

I am sorry your schedule is so hectic and hope Evelyn will reap a lot of benefits from the special education school. Both my brother and my nephew attended special education programs. Now many students with special needs spend at least part of the school day in classes with the general student population, possibly with an aide.

Since the vet thinks Clementine's condition is from lack of her grooming, did the vet do diagnostics to make sure she did not have arthritis or another physical reason for not grooming herself? I hope she will perk up once she and Willoughby are in the new shed.

Aww, hi Clementine. ❤️ I'm glad she doesn't have mites. I'm sorry she's not grooming herself much, though, and that she seems sad... I wonder if her arthritis is contributing to her not grooming as much as usual? I'm sorry, too, that you haven't been able to find someone to try to bond her to Willoughby. I was wondering if you were planning on bonding them. It must be tough, yeah, to find the time when you're so very busy. That's really understandable. Sending Clementine a lot of feel better vibes.

I am sorry your schedule is so hectic and hope Evelyn will reap a lot of benefits from the special education school. Both my brother and my nephew attended special education programs. Now many students with special needs spend at least part of the school day in classes with the general student population, possibly with an aide.

Since the vet thinks Clementine's condition is from lack of her grooming, did the vet do diagnostics to make sure she did not have arthritis or another physical reason for not grooming herself? I hope she will perk up once she and Willoughby are in the new shed.
Clementine does have arthritis as a result of major surgery she had when she was still a baby. x

Does she mind being groomed by a human ? I am wondering if you and Evelyn would be able to groom her most days ? Grooming gloves can work well on Rex coats. Or a soft baby hairbrush. Neither are much use at removing the thick tufts from a moulting Rex coat. I do that by hand. But the grooming gloves loosen and remove all the dusty dead skin flakes.

When Lady Lydia lost her one and only soul mate Sir Victor she point blank refused to bond with any other Rabbit. I tried numerous times over the remaining years of her life. But she attacked every single one within seconds. At first she was so depressed she stopped grooming herself and eating 😢 She was used to a lot of handling due to all the treatment she always needed for her chronic ulcerative pododermatitis. So grooming her was not an additional stress for her, she seemed to enjoy the physical contact. She especially liked being stroked with the grooming glove I used.

I realise you are so busy with Evelyn’s new schedule now, but if you had a bit of time to spare perhaps you could both give the grooming a go. Evelyn is so good with the animals and I believe Clementine will pick up on how Evelyn can connect with her in a special way. I probably sound nuts to most people, but hey-ho !!

I feel bad that I have not been able to bond Roisin into a trio with Dara and JJ.Not that Roisin seems to care at all. I can’t adopt another Rabbit and as Roisin has chronic symptomatic ‘Snuffles’ I would only rehome her to someone who’s Rabbit also had the same thing. They would need to be experienced with the management of a Rabbit with chronic Snuffles too. Dara has bouts of symptomatic Snuffles so JJ is no doubt an asymptomatic carrier. They already live in the same room so cross infection will already have happened. Hence why I tried to bond the three of them. Dara made it VERY clear that she was having none of it. You don’t want to mess with an angry Nethie……😳🙄 We persevered for some time, but the stress caused both Snufflers’s symptoms to get worse. In the end and on the advice of our Vet I gave up trying.

Don’t feel bad about Clementine being on her own. You have so much going on. Don’t know how you do it tbh.
Yea she doesn't mind, she was never a fan of Evelyn tbh, but is quickly seeking her out for pets now. But I stroke/groom her every evening before I go to bed, she just puddles and I stroke and remove the excess fur, she seems to enjoy it she ends up licking me or something nearby. But when she's moulting like this it's never ending tbh. For the tufts I pull them out when they're ready never found another way for that, rex fur is very different 😂

Yea they might not even bond but I definitely wanna give it a go coz I know Willoughby also would really love to have a friend again too.

Yea you don't wanna upset an angry nethie 😂😂

Yea it's very difficult with our new schedule, it's not forever tho, just til summer break then it'll change again in September. I might have to look at calendar and see if there's a way I can figure something out and try it myself even tho I find bonding really scary 😂 coz I'm not ready to admit defeat yet.

Yea she doesn't mind, she was never a fan of Evelyn tbh, but is quickly seeking her out for pets now. But I stroke/groom her every evening before I go to bed, she just puddles and I stroke and remove the excess fur, she seems to enjoy it she ends up licking me or something nearby. But when she's moulting like this it's never ending tbh. For the tufts I pull them out when they're ready never found another way for that, rex fur is very different 😂

Yea they might not even bond but I definitely wanna give it a go coz I know Willoughby also would really love to have a friend again too.

Yea you don't wanna upset an angry nethie 😂😂

Yea it's very difficult with our new schedule, it's not forever tho, just til summer break then it'll change again in September. I might have to look at calendar and see if there's a way I can figure something out and try it myself even tho I find bonding really scary 😂 coz I'm not ready to admit defeat yet.

I absolutely hate bonding. I wouldn’t dare bond anyone else’s Rabbits. Far too terrifying 🤣

Thank you. Yea I think in some places that's a possibility, or there's like units attached to mainstream schools, but in my area there isn't any unfortunately.

Yea she does have arthritis, she's on loxicom twice a day for that.

The shed is the next project, hopefully soonish. Currently I'm building the raised boarder thingy hopefully that'll get finished this weekend, has taken two weekends so far, well one day of each, I can't dedicate the whole time to it unfortunately 😂

Aww, hi Clementine. ❤️ I'm glad she doesn't have mites. I'm sorry she's not grooming herself much, though, and that she seems sad... I wonder if her arthritis is contributing to her not grooming as much as usual? I'm sorry, too, that you haven't been able to find someone to try to bond her to Willoughby. I was wondering if you were planning on bonding them. It must be tough, yeah, to find the time when you're so very busy. That's really understandable. Sending Clementine a lot of feel better vibes.
Not sure tbh! Dose was upped yesterday to see if it helps things so will see if that changes anything. Thanks :)

Thank you. Yea I think in some places that's a possibility, or there's like units attached to mainstream schools, but in my area there isn't any unfortunately.

Yea she does have arthritis, she's on loxicom twice a day for that.

The shed is the next project, hopefully soonish. Currently I'm building the raised boarder thingy hopefully that'll get finished this weekend, has taken two weekends so far, well one day of each, I can't dedicate the whole time to it unfortunately 😂

Do you ever sleep or just plug yourself in to the national grid for a quick re-charge 🤣

Back