• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UPDATE on Rescued Bunny

maherwoman

Warren Scout
Ok, we just got back from taking the little bun in...things were better, but at the same time worse, than I thought.

Good news first:

- She didn't have anything wrong with her other than malnutrition (which was expected), some matted fur that needed trimming (to help speed her cleaning process), and a tiny bit of urine scalding on each hind foot.

- Otherwise, she told us that the bun is quite healthy, all considering. No absesses, no runny eyes or nose, no mites, fleas, or fly strike. :) I was really relieved to hear it! What a strong little baby!!

On to the slightly bad (and much angering) news:

- She's not a dwarf bunny like we thought...she's a VERY young bunny. She's about six weeks old, which means these people probably bought her at about four weeks...making her yet another Easter bunny that was neglected and forgotten. She told us that she'll be average-bun'd size, and that she was definitely not a dwarf...just really young. The minute she said that and I realized what it meant, I broke down crying right then and there for the little thing. The poor baby is too young to even tell difinitively what gender she is (though she thinks it's a girl)!! What horrible people!!!

So, we bought her some alfalfa hay, which we'll be giving with a mix of Timothy as an unlimited thing for quite a while. We'll do exclusively hay until probably tomorrow to be sure her digestive system is running smoothly again, and we'll add them gradually.

We'll be putting together her own little cage either tomorrow or the next day, as right now we don't have the funds to get what it would take, but will tomorrow or the next day. :) I don't think the poor dear minds...she's very content (doing Dead Bunny Flops already...in fact, she did some last night :) ), and I think being in a darker little enclosed, dry space is a comfort for her.

I let her out a little bit today, and pet her for about ten minutes straight. She's VERY sweet...follows me inside her carrier to where ever I am, and nose-bumps me through the front every time I put my nose near. :) While the lady was grooming her, the sweet little bun (whom I think I'm going to name cotton...she looks just like a cottonball) just layed there and let her do what she had to. I think she's grateful for the love and attention, and that everyone's looking out for her and helping her now. :)

She's peeing and pooping just fine...lots of proof of that! Lol...

I'll keep you guys posted as things progress! :) For now, she's resting and trying to recover from all the excitement. :)

*sigh of relief* I'm just glad the little one is going to be okay. I must have shown up just in time...the lady said she wouldn't have lasted another week in those conditions. :( but also :)

Talk to you guys later!!

Rosanna* :)

maherwoman said:
, which means these people probably bought her at about four weeks...

:shock:
i'm genuinely surprised she is still alive if indeed she was seperanted from her mother at this age. (pleased, obviously, but surprised. :? )
im glad to hear she's doing so well.

maxxev said:
maherwoman said:
, which means these people probably bought her at about four weeks...

:shock:
i'm genuinely surprised she is still alive if indeed she was seperanted from her mother at this age. (pleased, obviously, but surprised. :? )
im glad to hear she's doing so well.

Yeah, the lady was surprised, too. She was pleasently surprised she was doing so well from all the horrible times she's been through, too.

Thanks, guys. Little Flower is most definitely a fighter to make it through all that. I'm sure as she grows and her personality emerges, I'll see a hefty amount of stubbornness! :) But that's not bad at all...it's what saved her life! :)

Aww dear. This has made me cry :cry:

Every time I come on this forum, there is yet another post about a poor neglected bun. It really does me in!!

There was a post on the breeder forum I go on saying a woman who breeds had had a woman ring her asking for four week old babies! The breeder told her no proper caring breeder would sell them at that age and that it's bad for them, but the woman on the phone said she has rang several places and they have offered 4 week old babies! It makes me so cross!

I know what you guys mean! I was crying as the lady was checking Flower out, when she told me how young she was...:(

Back