• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed

jodi

Young Bun
Hi all i have a lovely chocolate mini lop in my group of rescue bunnies but there is just one problem with him he will not eat hay of chew on anything other then food an he has maloclusion of his front teeth top an bottom they are due to be removed but the vet has said he has spurs on his back teeth any useful tips on getting him to eat hay would be great x

SOAD said:
Have you tried different sorts of hay, to see if he prefers a certain sort?

one of my rabbits has tried every type of hay going, but he just does not like the stuff....i really would not worry yourself, its prob just a fussy bunny! lol :)

Has he had the spurs burred down? I would imagine if the vet knew they were there the would but then I suppose with some vets you can't tell :roll: If they haven't then they will be rubbing on his cheeks, gums or tongue and making eating painful.
I've got two bunnies with molar problems (one has spurs, the other has longer molars than normal) and they're on a mostly hay diet. They have a handful of pellets a day each, lots of dark leafy veg (like carrot tops, herbs, romaine lettuce, etc. - things they have to chew like grass rather than 'chomp' on like pellets). I also try putting them out on the grass as often as possible as this will help wear down the molars too.
I found the short chopped Timothy hay, as well as Readigrass and the high fibre grass mix from Bunnybasics goes down well with all 3 of my incisor-less buns.
Hays like Timothy, Brome and Oat are better as they're tougher than meadow hay so require more chewing which wears down the molars bettter, but the main key is getting them to eat as much hay and grass as possible to promote the grinding action that will wear down the spurs.

Having his incisors removed will help too - my Netherland Dwarf Mary ate barely any hay before he had his removed but now he eats practically any type I give him

tinkerbell said:
SOAD said:

one of my rabbits has tried every type of hay going, but he just does not like the stuff....i really would not worry yourself, its prob just a fussy bunny! lol :)

A buns diet should be 90% hay, it's really not good for them if they're getting none though.

SOAD said:
tinkerbell said:
SOAD said:

A buns diet should be 90% hay, it's really not good for them if they're getting none though.

He has grass and other substitutes but he hates hay, its strange, he never has liked any of it, he likes straw, typical..i dont think he is in any danger,or ill health, he is happy, shiny, good teeth etc, the vet said how healthy he was, keira eats his share though!lol

thanks for all the advice his molars have been burred down he will onlt eat pellets he is out on the grass most day an wont eat it he also wont eat veg other the apples he is so picky is untrue i have tried every possible thing but nothing will help i have also tried halfing the ammount of pelllet he has a day but no luck with that either

Back