• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites JANE!!!!

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
When I got Alex bun off the free ads, he had mites. We treated him with (pet shop) mite shampoo twice & the vet gave him the all clear when he went in for neutering. He had a couple of thin-hair patches recently so we took him back to the vets yesterday. He has got mites again, quite severely. The vet thinks we might not have got rid of them completely initially & now he's a little run down after his neutering op so the attack is quite severe. Anyway, the vet gave me some extra strong mite shampoo, which he was bathed in last night (& so was I :oops: ), & I have to repeat that in a week. He also has some stronghold (for dogs - Alex is a 5kg New Zealand white) dropped onto his skin. This has to be done again in a month (although I think I got most of it on his fur, not his skin :oops: ).
We've separated him from all other buns (he's single bun in the same room as 2 others), although the vet said that this type of mite doesn't necessarily spread to other buns (I've checked Rosie & Flint & found nothing - but will keep a close eye). Is there anything else we can do? He's in the living room full time, so we can keep an eye on him (Gaz doesn't yet know his PS2 has been wee'd on :shock: ) & is getting extra veg & have put some vitamin supplement in his water.

Given the title of this thread should I be all itchy :shock: :wink: :lol:

If it is Cheyletiella Mites then I have found Shampoo is pretty much useless. The little critters often appear to have cleared up but as your Vet says,tend to flare up at times of stress.
My Vet always uses Ivomectin to treat mites. I inject the bun but you can use it like a 'spot-on' treatment. Daily grooming tends to help shift all the mite dust more quickly too. I use a softish brush. Combs dont clear the dust off the skin too well. I pay particular attention to the area at the base of buns spine just where their tail joins their body. Mites seem to love hiding out there.
Off for a flippin' good scratch now.... :lol: :lol:

Janex

Thanks! I have one of those brushes! Guess Alex will be my first bun to get groomed more than once a week!
That Cheyliwotsit was def the type of mites the vet said. I tried to memorise the word, but just remembered "something like shyellow". Can I get Ivomectin from a pet shop or just the vet?

It's awful washing him. He looks so miserable, but just accepts whatever you do to him. Brought tears to my eyes last night, when I was drying him with a hairdryer & he started licking me :cry:

Will my other buns be ok? or should I start bulk-buying mite-stuff?

Ivomec is THE best stuff ever. Get to a vet...it will sort out the problem quickly, easily and very stress free for the bun :)

I get my Ivomectin from my Vets although I know some people on here buy it online.
I have found that Cheyletiella does not necessarily pass from rabbit to rabbit. It seems to only effect Buns that are a bit under-the-weather,have dental problems making it hard for them to groom themselves or are stressed.
It seems to be that once a Bun has had one attack of the mites they are prone to further episodes at times of illness/stress.
To be honest I dont bath Buns with mites as the Shampoos dont seem to help and the stress to the Bun exacerbates the Mites problem. I just use a course of Ivomectin and daily grooming. Just MY UNQUALIFIED opinion!!
Janex

bluebunny said:
I thought you couldnt use stronghold on rabbits?

The vet said there wasn't a rabbit equivalent for such a large bun. The stronghold I got was for small dogs (up to 5kg).
He's been brushed, but is still very quiet & definitely not himself :( Will get some Ivostuff

I would be concerned about using Ivermectin so soon after a treatment with another chemical. I know overdosing on Ivermectin can have nasty side effects so I'd ask the vet whether there needs to be a certain length of time before using the Ivermectin after the Stronghold and flea shampoo.

Karly said:
I would be concerned about using Ivermectin so soon after a treatment with another chemical. I know overdosing on Ivermectin can have nasty side effects so I'd ask the vet whether there needs to be a certain length of time before using the Ivermectin after the Stronghold and flea shampoo.

I'm seeing him so will ask :D

I thought stronghold was ok but frontline is toxic - I am sure I saw stronghold for rabbits advertised at my local vets.

Zeus has had mites very badly on and off for a year it took long courses of ivermectin to get rid of them (I had to do up to three injections 7-10 days apart).

I also used a Gorgeous Guineas anti-mite/fungal oil soak to calm the itching.

In the end moving him outside was the only thing that seemed to stop it, Zeus was stressed (his long term teeth problems didn't help) and coupled with the drying effect of central heating he just couldn't fight off the mites.

He lived in the garage (not heated but insulated) all winter and when we move we are putting the playhouses outside with permanent attached runs to maximise the benefits of sunlight and fresh grass for his teeth problems.

I hope that this is the last we see of the mites.

Caz

Back