• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fizz and his true character!

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
This is Fizz who some might remember came into the rescue after a vet refused to put him to sleep for biting a child
Nasher.jpg

Well at first we thought the bite may have been due to mishandling but since being in our care he has bitten my poor fosterer very badly twice :( . There are no warning signs he just suddenly lunges, sinks his teeth in and hangs on . He has tried to bite on several more occassions but Angie has managed to avoid his teeth.
I do not want this lovely looking little chap to be PTS so we are looking for someone very special to take him on...fully aware of his tendancy to nip. Most of the time he is a joy but any prospective new owner mustn't be taken in by his "butter-wouldn't-melt" look. I have put this on this section as more people will read it.
nas.jpg

Fizz.jpg

Just to add we will be working with him to try to minimise this behaviour

He looks so sweet! I guess looks can be deceiving.

Has he been neutered yet? That helps, even with chronic biters that don't have a historic reason for biting (always raised in a loving home with gentle handling, etc).

What is the fosterer doing when he bites? Is she cleaning his cage, wearing perfume, playing the radio/tv, moving her hands, anything?

I wish I lived closer!

Naturstee thanks for your advice but ..yes he was neutered some time ago. The fosterer is very experienced with rabbits and has not seen any reason for his biting.

Flossie bit me this morning :? when I cleaned her cage - yes she is back, but only for the weekend :wink: But it was my fault, I had just been shaking out the vetbed which was soaked in Blueberry and Rosie's wee :mrgreen: and my hands must have seemed like an enemy approaching :( Her mate lunged at me to, and he is a soppy friendly bun. I should have washed my hands before poo picking their cage :roll:

You wouldn't have him PTS for biting would you Jill? Maybe I should give up ideas of rehoming and just take in agressive rabbits. How to fund that though :?

Did I say just? As well as the multitudes of guineas that is. The RSPCA brought me 44 this week :shock:

ohhhh hes georgeous .
these biting buns are such a chalenge (we have a couple here )
some where out there will be the perfect person who will love him for what he is ....its just a matter of finding them :? :roll:

Angie

Kizzi has been quite a biter over the past week. We know its because of her previous abuse and its not really a "problem" to me. I'm getting skilled in avoiding her nashers - rabbits really can bite hard when they want to, I'm learning that fast.

She is not neutered (as far as we know) yet, we'll be getting her done ASAP for her own good to avoid any danger of tumours.

I think once she settles in and realises we're not going to hurt her she will settle down. We're being proactive and trying to help her. Its not easy though.

Fizz is a beautiful boy, I hope he is able to stop biting or at least be able to control himself and find a forever home :)

My first bunny Jess was like that. For example once she dozing in the living near the sofa and my mum was reading on the sofa and all of a sudden Jess leapt at my mum and sank her teeth into her arm!! My mum flung her arm up, Jess went flying, landed on all fours and went back for more!!

The older she got the less she would do this - maybe Fizz will be the same.

Awww, he is gorgeous.

Please remember, I know next to nothing about rabbits but.....

Could his teeth be bothering him? You know when we get a kind of niggley toothache if you bite down hard on something it makes it feel a bit better for a while ?????

he looks so lovely :D he sounds the same as my Fudge though, can be really sweet and cuddly but bites for no real reason :( Although I have noticed that he is worse if the TV is on loud or if my son is shouting! I've lost count of the number of people that have suggested I have Fudge put to sleep, or said it was a shame that Treacle died and not Fudge :shock: :evil:

aww he looks so cute, you wouldn't think he was a biter! I hope someone (with gauntlets) can give him a home! :D

Oh why do I have to already have filled all my space :( :roll:

*Thinking aloud* :? Hmmm........ Wonder if I could sneak him in as a housebun, he'd be perfect here :?

What's he like with other buns Jill?

if hes like my fudge he'll be fine with other bunnies as long as they let him be boss! :shock: :lol:

I think its down to someone with the right amount of patience and understanding. And good sense to keep out of the way sometimes!

However, I am sure some one will want the lovely little guy and find his patient side. What a cute fella, reminds me of a cross between our Fuzzy and his mate Snowball.

I have only ever been bitten that hard once while dealing with a very pointless and unsuccessful bonding, in which we ended up taking the female back to the rescue. We have had several unsuccesful attempts after that, they really are fickle, bunnies. In fact, the bunny combination that now works with us, would not work at all at first ! It was only through extreme patience of the rescue, and a little from ourselves.

Bless, I still have the scar to prove where she dug in and held on...

Gem haven't tried him with other buns yet......
His teeth have been checked and are fine...
Louise no I wouldn't put him to sleep for biting that is why I'm looking for a special home for him.....
....and his biting is not just a nip, it is a lunge, hard bite down then he twists his body and kicks his legs..the same as a really bad rabbit fight ...going for the kill :shock: :( there is no warning..one minute you can be stroking him.... the next he is attached to your hand...strong garden gloves are needed for protection.
Angie is using a brush on a stick to groom him and wearing protection on her hands when putting them in his cage. He is also living indoors to get him used to people around all the time. Hopefully this bad behaviour may reduce but in the mean time we are looking for a adult household who like a challenge and are willing to wear gloves when handling Fizz :?

What's his story, background etc?

I've got a feeling I'm not going to be allowed to take him, but I'm going to try and persuade the family :roll:

Can he see? :? My Orlaith was returned to rescue from several homes cos she was apparently 'aggressive'
She's blind and it was not noticed by anyone :cry: Born with damaged Retinas our Vet says. No obvious sign of a problem with her eyes til you note the permanently dilated pupils and when the back of the eye is viewed with an opthalmascope. No blood vessels in the Retinas at all. Now we know she's blind we take appropriate action re her handling and she's not aggressive at all any-more :D :D
Janex

no he can see ok Jane...his background..as we have just found out by making more enquireis is...he was owned by a person who has 4 other buns and is used to rabbits. She didn't want to out him to sleep but thought there was no other option as his aggression is bad.....So he came to us.........and Angie has the scars to proove it :(

Back