• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth again Zippy needs op again

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya, It's only been a month since Zippy's last dental, she's mising the complete set of opposite side back teeth. So she can't regulate her own teeth.

Can her other back teeth be completely removed so she so she doesn't have to keep going through this :?

Hiya Tree. I have a similar prob, well not ME but one of my Buns :lol: :roll: Molar teeth can be removed but it is a BIG op which carries quite a high risk of haemorrhages as rabbits mouths are full of blood vessels. Also, I am not too sure how a Bun would cope with no molars at all :? Incisorsless Buns do OK but molars :? :? .......not sure. Sorry, not much help here.... :roll: :roll: Janex

It is very difficult to remove a rabbit's molars as their mouths don't open wide enough to do it from inside the mouth. It has to be done through the cheek :( This is commonly done when there is an abcess that needs to be cleaned up at the same time as in that case the roots will not be as firmly attached and the cheek has to be opened anyway. (Got this from the FHB textbook).
The good news is that her teeth will stop growing in the end :? And if she has both the uppers and lowers that one side they will still be wearing, only one side can be in occlusion at a time anyway as the lower jaw is narrower so I don't think balance is as important as it is in humans anyway.

Awwww thanks guys. I do worry about her, it would be great if her teeth stopped growing can't believe how quick they need doing again. Poor old Zip :cry:

:? Travis' molars were growing so rapidly they had to be burred monthly which is why after 6 months of it, I chose to have 2 of his molars removed. This was done under GA and they did not have to go through his cheek to get to them. The first time they attempted it though, they aborted the extraction as his gums began to bleed and they did not want him to heamorrage as Jane has said. He had a course of Baytril then went back 2 weeks later and they were extracted OK. He's just finished his Baytril following the extraction and is beginning to eat solid foods again now.

When he goes back in April for his Myxi vaccs, we will check his teeth again as there is a possibility that his teeth may shift to fill the gap from his missing teeth causing further mis-alignment. We will have to cross this bridge if we get to it. My vet is not of the opinion that rabbits can be made "gummy", however, this may just be down to her experience, and if Travis does end up with further dental problems, I will seek extra advice on what's best for him.

Don't know if this helps at all :?

KerinTravis said:
:? Travis' molars were growing so rapidly they had to be burred monthly which is why after 6 months of it, I chose to have 2 of his molars removed. This was done under GA and they did not have to go through his cheek to get to them. The first time they attempted it though, they aborted the extraction as his gums began to bleed and they did not want him to heamorrage as Jane has said. He had a course of Baytril then went back 2 weeks later and they were extracted OK. He's just finished his Baytril following the extraction and is beginning to eat solid foods again now.

When he goes back in April for his Myxi vaccs, we will check his teeth again as there is a possibility that his teeth may shift to fill the gap from his missing teeth causing further mis-alignment. We will have to cross this bridge if we get to it. My vet is not of the opinion that rabbits can be made "gummy", however, this may just be down to her experience, and if Travis does end up with further dental problems, I will seek extra advice on what's best for him.

Don't know if this helps at all :?

Thanks for this :thumb: I will take this to the vets with me :D

kayj said:
Poor Zippy, when is she going in again?

She's got to go back in four weeks. She had a check up Monday and Mel said she thinks she'll need an op in four weeks time, she will have a check first though to see if it's needed.

Poor Zippy, hope she is OK. Princess needs her teeth burring again soon too, we went last Friday and vet said bring her back in 3 weeks for incisors to be burred. She doesn't think molars are causing many problems though even though she only has 1 on each side of her lower jaw!! I hope hers have stopped growing!!

Back