• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

FLYSTRIKE

I believe the eggs can be laid anywhere, usually damp fur. WHy? No problems I hope?

Didn't Adele have a bunny that got it in a head wound?

I would think any damp breaks in the skin could be a target.

Caz

yes they can get it anywhere! There's more flies around at the moment than there was in the summer too it's a nightmare! :(

I think that flies will lay their eggs anywhere, but that maybe the eggs only hatch when the conditions are warm and damp eg around a sticky bott or a cut on the body.

The reason I think this is cos sometimes the horses come in from the field with fly eggs on their legs, and you have to scrape them off, but my understanding is that the reason you have to get them off is that if the horses lick their legs then they'll swallow them and the maggots will hatch in their stomach :shock: :shock: :shock:

Gross huh?

wouldn't the stomach acid kill the maggots though or are horses systems quite different? :?

Sorry - by "stomach" I just meant gut. I think the eggs have passed through the stomach before they hatch and the maggots end up somewhere in the intestine (bleurgh!)

Yes anywere, if you still have flys about then use something like rearguard or my fav is zentex from the vet. Better to be safe than sorry. val

i have never seen flies in my hutches thank god but nevertheless I am still really paranoid about flystrike it sounds awful :shock:

Back