• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neurering post op question??

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Petey is going to be castrated in the morning and just wanted to ask if theres anything I need to do for him when I bring him home? Any problems I should keep an eye out for etc?

Just want to make sure im all prepared for the brave little boy :D

You will need to keep him indoors overnight as he recovers from the anaesthetic. Use newspaper or vetbed on the bottom of his cage, no shavings or anything as you dont want it getting into the wound. Just keep an eye on the are to make sure he doesnt develop any swelling.

Cheryl

sgprescue said:
You will need to keep him indoors overnight as he recovers from the anaesthetic. Use newspaper or vetbed on the bottom of his cage, no shavings or anything as you dont want it getting into the wound. Just keep an eye on the are to make sure he doesnt develop any swelling.

Cheryl

Petey is a house bunny anyway, so no probs there, he is housed in a puppy run on lino, so no shavings are used anyway, he chews anything and everything in sight so I dont use newspaper or vetbed either, he has padded dog sofa which he uses, and just the straw in his litter tray. So I assume his normal living quarters are suitable? What about hay, obviously I know he needs to have it but he usually prefers to have it loose in his run so he can dig, play and eat it, is this still ok, or should i try it in a box or hay rack to stop it getting near the wound?

How 'Dopey' should I expect him to be when he comes home and for how long??

I'd put the hay in a hay rack if you have one, just so it doesn't irritate the wound.

Joey was very dopey when he came home but he slept most of the night and was up and about in the evening. (I had to keep going up to him to check he was still breathing, he looked very still)

Also, clear out his litter tray before he comes back from the vets, that way it's easier to see how many pees/poops he does.

*good luck Petey*

I put just newspaper in the littertrays when my lot were done, and changed it everytime they weed! Just to make sure no bits got into the wound!

With the boys you wouldn't even notice that they had had an operation. I dropped them at the vets in the morning, picked them up in the evening and they were out and running about the next morning as if nothing had happened!!!

When Jaro was done - he was really dopey - as in could hardly stand up - for a few hours - possibly the vet let us takje him home a bit too soon after the op.

The most important thing when coming round is for him to be kept warm - which shouldn't be a prob in this weather.

We sat with him for the 3-4 hours it took for him to get it together a bit, even then he'll not be totally with it tomorrow.

Good luck :)

Martin + Pam

Ok thanks

I dropped him off at the vets at 9:30am this morning, vet checked him over and said he was very healthy (he had a bit of a fight with the vet, little devil, at tleast I did warn the vet he was feisty :lol: )

I hope ive done the right thing......the vet gave us some options of having blood work done pre op to make sure everything else was ok internally, and also an option of him having a drip to help him come round and recover easier and a post op diet (all cost extra) Well we had only budgeted to pay the stated neuter fee of £40 so we said no to the extras........hope we have done the right thing :?

Vet said he should be done and will call me about 11:30ish............so waiting to hear now......

Better go get his pen clean for him coming home.

Debs2811 said:
Ok thanks

I dropped him off at the vets at 9:30am this morning, vet checked him over and said he was very healthy (he had a bit of a fight with the vet, little devil, at tleast I did warn the vet he was feisty :lol: )

I hope ive done the right thing......the vet gave us some options of having blood work done pre op to make sure everything else was ok internally, and also an option of him having a drip to help him come round and recover easier and a post op diet (all cost extra) Well we had only budgeted to pay the stated neuter fee of £40 so we said no to the extras........hope we have done the right thing :?

Vet said he should be done and will call me about 11:30ish............so waiting to hear now......

Better go get his pen clean for him coming home.

Post op diet? I gave mine a packed lunch ;)! Rabbits need to eat constantly before and after an op so my vet pops their favourite hay into the cage pre-op and their pellets/celery etc post op so it is there for when they wake up.

I don't know if my boys were on drips as I never asked but I did pay nearly £60 so it is possible this is why my vets costs more.

Pre-op blood work ups are only really necessary for sick or old animals.

Caz

Ok vet just called me............op went well, everything is ok :D

Petey is just coming round from his anaestetic and I will be going to pick him up at 6pm. :D :D

Brave little boy, Wonder if ill be out of favour tonight for taking him and having that done to him :(

Petey is now home :D

He was quite stressed when I picked him up, he hates being in a carrier anyway, the vets said they were quite surprised at how awake he was after the anaestetic, as most buns are usually very dopey.......Petey though is not a bun for sitting still for 5 mins :lol:

Have to take him back in 2-3 days for a post op check. I have put him back in his pen next to Jess and he immediately looked alot happier, he sat down and 'checked' his bits, then dashed in his tunnel :shock: I think he had just noticed something was missing and had a quick search :shock: :lol: :lol: Jess then had a quick check incase she had them for him :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He has done 1 poo in his litter tray and has had a very long drink and had a small nibble of some hay. The vet said he hadnt eaten much and would have prefered him to have eaten more, but then he isnt usually used to eating much during the day, he like to scoff in the early morning and just nibbles a little here and there for the rest of the day and evening.

Im going to give him 1/2 hour to relax back to his home and then take him up some veg which he always likes.

Ahhh, he sounds like he'll be fine, once he's got used to that "what's missing? "feeling!

Back