• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yalta just back from being Spayed

Martin E

Warren Scout
Just got a very disorientated and sleepy bunny back from the vets.

She is staggered around her cage for a bit before flopping (falling ?) over - still coming around after the anaesthetic.

She is yet to eat or drink - although the nurse said she had eaten before we picked her up.

fingers crossed - and hoping the affects wear off in the next couple of hours.

Martin + Pam

I hope she recovers soon!!

Just one thing to keep an eye out for though. When I had Bluebell spayed she had apparently eaten at the vets before I picked her up and ate a little bit of grass that evening before I went to bed, but the next day I think she must have been in a lot of pain and wouldn't eat or drink anything. I took her back to the vets where they gave her a gut stimulant and metacam drops for me to give her. Then she perked up and started to eat a couple of hours later.

When I had my other rabbit spayed, they gave me Metacam when I picked her up, as I told them how bad Bluebell had been, but she also stopped eating, and as you have to give it with food, I couldn't give her any pain relief.

Don't panic now though!!! I might just have sensitive rabbits!!!

Sending my best wishes to Yalta. :D

to be honest - not sure how she could have eaten anything at the vets - she is trembling slightly and looks as though she is trying to sleep.

She's not grinding, so hopefully she's not in pain.

We didn't get any painkillers from the vets - and forgot to ask what painkiller they had administered for post-op (we just wanted to get her back - and all the questions we meant to ask got forgotten)

They did say she shouldn't need to go back - but to obviously to take her in if needs be.

We're on shift watches now to make sure she's not left on her own.

Martin

I'm sorry Martin, but I think she will be in pain once the analgesic the vet gave her wears off. It's a big intrusive operation, can you imagine a woman going in for a hysterectomy and not being given pain relief afterwards :shock: . I think you should phone and ask for Metacam for her, just in case. The vet really should have given you painkiller to give her. Also make sure she's kept warm as the anaesthetic will make her cold. Do you have a heatpad? If not, a hotwater bottle wrapped in a towel and placed near her should help. Feel her ears, that should give you an indication of her body temperature, if they're icy cold, she needs a bit warmth. Hope she feels better soon, sending gentle nose rubs.

Hiya Martin, I agree with Lynda, Does need painkillers post spaying, as it helps them recover much quicker.
If they are uncomfortable then they will not eat, or be able to relax properly, which is critical to the healing process.
The heat pad is a good idea, or water bottle covered in towel as Yalta can snuggle up to that if she wishes, and that also help ease any discomfort.
I get annoyed when I hear about Vets not offering pain relief, especially when metacam is safe for use in bunnies.
I feel that is essential post op, especially as Lynda says with such invasive surgery.
Make sure Yalta is drinking, and going to the toilet okay, if you see that she is not passing droppings, or only very small ones, get onto the Vet asap, and ask for gut stimulating drugs and fluids.
The guts often slow down post op, and it can quickly become a major problem, so although nothing to worry about just now, keep a very close eye on her.
has she eaten anything at all yet? hay is the best food she can have to keep the guts moving.

Thinking of you, and keeping everything crossed Yalta will be alright.
Best wishes
Adele

She has had a little drink - and seems to have settled down to try and sleep. She looks more comfortable now too - in more of her usual sleeping position. Her ears are up, she has had a little wash too after the water.

She has also had a tiny pee.

Its over 8 hours since she started coming round after the op - and she doesn't seem to be showing signs of pain at the moment at all - and as she's lying 'straight' on her tummy - I guess it would hurt some.

We've got the heating on in the room (no water bottles or heating pads).

As far as painkillers go - they may well have given her an injection (they did with Jaro last time he was in) - we forgot to ask to check. We did mean to ask for some painkiller to bring home in case.

Thanks for the help - we'll keep a close eye on her - any sign of pain and we'll call the emergency vet.

Martin + Pam

She just had a bigger drink there - followed by another wash.

She's snuggled in the corner of her cage on the fleece blanket - with the heating on too - she should be warm enough now (we're sweating - but alot of that is worry too).

There is plenty of hay in the cage - but she hasn't shwon an interest in that yet.

thanks

Martin

That sounds hopeful, but keep an eye on her tomorrow. You might want to get some Metacam for her in the morning just to keep her pain relief up.

Bluebell didn't show any sign of pain until the injection had worn off the next morning, when she just kept shifting her position around as if she couldn't get comfortable. At one point when I checked on her, I thought she had died as only her eyes moved to look at me!! That was a panicky moment!!

When Nala was spayed i asked about having pain relief and they said they give them a long acting pain relief medication that lasts 24hrs i think it was so therefore they would not give me anything else. She didnt eat or drink anything on her own for about 24hrs after i picked her up so i mashed her pellets with warm water/little pineapple juice and syringed a little into her every few hours to keep her stomach moving.
Your little Yalta sounds like she is on the mend already having a drink and washing.. Hopefully her recovery continues and she will soon reward you with a nice big pile of poops! :D

aaawwww that sounds very positive Martin :) Yalta must be feeling alright to be grooming :)
Just monitor her for the next few days, I am sure she will do just fine.
Best wishes

I'm at work - just got an update from Pam who works from home.

She is still drinking and is nibbling a bit of hay every now and then - not a lot, but at least its something.

We fed her some Science Recovery last night - just a little bit to give her a bit of energy, and she was swallowing. We checked her stiches too, which seems OK.

There was a little leakage of blood that was ther when we picked her up, the vet showed us, and said to keep an eye on it. They didn't want to clean it at the time to keep it dry and avoid the risk of opening up the wound.

She is grooming and drinking too - she seems thirsty and is drinking well.

Difficult day to work with worrying about Yalta - and the news form London.

I'll post an update later

thanks for all the support :)

Martin

aaaaawwww bless you for letting us know how Yalta is going on, she has very much been on my mind :) :)
Best wishes

With all we're going through with Jaro too at the moment - good to see that it's poo city in Yalta's cage.

She's eating all her food now, and there is poo everywhere :D

She's definitely interested in getting out of her cage - so we may let her out to her normal area again tonight.

Martin

Back