• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Lilly isn't well :(

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hey guys I'm having a few problems with my lilly at the moment.

She had a small sty on one of ther eyes and the vet said there wasnt much they could do because it was a sty etc. Now its gotten bigger and I took her back last night because she has been eating a lot less but not pooing.

The vet gave her a jab to get her gut moving again and im going back tomorrow.

She is quite lively but it's when she tries to clean herself its done in a weird slow lathargic way. I don't really know what to do. there were normal poos this morning but I think that was just because of the jab she got. Also 2 days ago she was making loud painful grinding noises and being all lathargic like Jasper was.

I dont know if all of this is because ive got a new bun for her to play with and ive been trying to bond them via car journeys (fine in the car together but not at home) and its stressing her out. Mind you we havent been in the car for 3 days now.

Oh dear Vianne - I'm sorry to hear poor Lilly isn't feeling too good.

Difficult one really - Did the Vet give her any Metacam too - If she's been grinding her teeth that usually indicates that she's uncomfortable. How does her tum feel? - does it feel extended at all? - might be worth some gentle TLC for her, praps pop her on a heat snuggle pad and give her some gentle tummy rubs.
Also you could try some Infacol if you suspect it might be her tummy.

I guess the bonding might stress her out a little - you mention that they are fine in the car but then not when at home, have there been any initial squabble which could have upset her do you think.

Sounds like your on top of everything anyhow gal but keep a careful watch on her and if your at all worried pop her back to the Vets - its good news that she's pooing though and the stimulant is working.

Sending a snuggle for Lilly.

I can't offer much advice as I've not had ill bunnies yet, but I wanted to wish you love and hugs for yourself and your bunny, and I hope she feels better soon.

AMETHYST

Did the vet check her teeth? Her eye problem could just be a coincidence :?

Tam

Thanks everyone,

My buns get cleaned out everyday so its easy for me to monitor the poos in the hutches (night time only) than when they are in the garden run (all day)

The vet said lillys teeth are perfect (shes just had some spurs removed, even though they wern't affecting her eating) just to be on the safe side. The vet was a bit puzzled because he said she was in excellent condition - I dont think he believed me that anything was wrong!! Ive got painkiller drops to put on her food until tomorrow. Will just have to see how the poos go tonight!

Lilly has had a few scraps with the new little bun but nothing major has happened to her, just a few scratches here and there, I always seperate them when it becomes bad!!! It really gets my hopes up when they snuggle together in the car but then fight when I get home!! :(

Back