• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lacey is very ill

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
So Lacey had began to lose weight and she has been seen by a vet and its not good news her kidneys are failing her condition is irreversible. I haven't mentioned it until now but its been a few weeks now and shes has reached the point where she hasn't got long. Shes got very skinny but she still enjoys her food and she has slowed down a lot.

I am so sorry. I only had one old bunny with kidney issues, so I can only offer you and Lacey positive vibes for as much quality time as possible.

So sorry to hear this about Lacey, thinking of you both, and hope she stays as comfortable as possible for as long as possible x

I assume that renal failure was confirmed by blood and urine testing?

Given that Lacey is so young EC is a very likely cause of renal damage. EC being contracted before or during birth.The Vet should have included a request for a PCR test for EC titres. If you are dealing with EC this will have implications for all of your other Rabbits. EC is also transmitted via spores shed in the urine of an infected Rabbit. Personally I would want to give all in contact Rabbits a 28 day course of fenbendazole (Panacur) as a precaution. Fenbendazole cannot cure EC, but it can reduce spores circulating within the bloodstream and there is some evidence that giving Fenbendazole to Rabbits who are then exposed to EC can prevent them from becoming infected.

If Lacey has chronic renal failure then there are treatments which can help support renal function and improve her quality of life. Hopefully your Vet has offered these treatment options to Lacey. The treatment includes an ACE inhibitor such as Benazepril, an anabolic steroid such as Nadrolone (NB ANABOLIC steroid, NOT corticosteroid), Vitamin supplements, fluid therapy, dietary modification.
None of this will cure renal failure but it can buy the Rabbit more good quality time.

The environment the Rabbits live in needs to be steam cleaned on a regular basis and any urine contaminated bedding must be removed immediately. Hay should be fed from raised hay racks. All this to try to minimise the ingestion of anything urine contaminated.

I'm sorry Lacey has kidney failure, I lost a bunny to this many years ago. I would agree with what Jane has suggested as a precaution and I hope Lacey is comfortable and happy for whatever time she has left.

Thanks for the info on everything I am going through a lot at the moment which is why I've not responded. I have some sad news about Lacey. Lacey has passed away and I am deeply saddened. By the position I found her in it looked like she had a seizure before she died I found her dead in the morning. Lambchop is really going to miss her too because they were close. The vet said she was very poorly. I'm am currently treating the other rabbits and the vet has checked them out. I have cleaned everything the best way I can and I haven't been able to find a decent steam cleaner I have been looking into industrial steam cleaners but those cost thousands. The steam cleaner I have isn't very good as it just squirts water all over the place.

Sorry about not returning sooner I've had a lot going on. All the bunnies are doing fine Oreo and Bugs are just the curtest I just wanna pick them up and cuddle them but they don't like it lol Lucky likes the attention tho and so does Snuggles. Booboo formally known as Lucky he is very bonded with Snuggles. There next vet check up is coming soon but so far all bunnies appear to be doing well.

Back