• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I be worried about her legs...

Beebop

Warren Veteran
I had my bunnies out in the large grassy run today and noticed that when Clove hopped her back legs sort of cracked with every hop! :shock: :shock: I take it this isn't normal, my other rabbit's legs don't 'crack'! She was running, hopping and playing as normal and didn't seem to be in any discomfort and enjoyed eatting the fresh grass and clover, so should I be worried?

How old is she?

I think it would certainly be worth getting the vet to give her a once over. It's possible you have spotted the start of a problem that could develop more so best to get it checked now just in case.

Tam

She is only just turned two years!

I will get her checked out by the vets, what do you think it could be, especially as she is still such a young bunnie?

Probably absolutely nothing especially if she was running around as usual :D After all our joints sometimes crack and thats normal. It could be a sign of arthritus though but if she is only two and running around then probably not.

The vet will probably flex all her joints and will be able to feel if there is anything going on that shouldn't be.

Tam

Yeah I am not too worried yet, just a bit anxious about what the vet my find and also Clove gets soo stressed when she goes there, you may remember that she stopped eating for 24 hrs afterwards, boy was it a relief to get her eating again. She was runnning around outside from half 8 to half 10 all over my lawn this morning and she was running really quick and 'popcorning' as usual (she also managed to find time to escape)! But I will have the vet check her over anyway, i would hate something to be wrong with her. The noise only occured when she hopped at normal speed, but when she was galloping about I didn't hear any clicking/cracking.

You could have a chat with the vet on the phone first and see what they think. They might suggest just monitoring it until she goes for a jab or similar so she doesn't have an extra vet trip. Does she have a partner? If so take him/her along if you do go as that helps reduce the stress.

Tam

Back