• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC

Can EC make a rabbit very hungry? Milly and Bonny are both on treatment for it but they react to food like they have never been fed and Milly is forever scrounging in the kitchen.

hi

my rabbits seem to live to eat anyway - not sure about EC causing this...?

Edana and the boys :love:

Must say that Jaro has put on a bit of weight since being on Parafend (Fenbendazole) for EC - although I haven't noticed that he's eating any more.

He is definitely drinking more than he used too - but I guess that is natural with Kidney (EC) problems.

He doesn't seem to do as many poos now though - he still poos regularly but not as many - so that may have something to do with it.

EC can attack various parts of the nervous system - although normally just the kidneys or brain.

Our vet mentioned that EC may have affected jaro's nerves which instruct him to pee, which may be the cause of him retaining urine. I've not heard this anywhere else, so it may just be our vet's view.

If it is true, it may be that the parasite has affected the 'I'm hungry' signals in your buns - I'd have thought it highly unlikely, but its just a thought. It seems that EC is a realtively 'new' diagnosis for buns, and that a full understanding of how the disease 'works' is not yet available.

Are they pooing / drinking / peeing any more too ?

Martin

She was drinking upwards of 800ml a day and peeing for England but bless her due to her weight issues and her sitting in her puddles she is left with a rather smelly bum. She seems to be slowing down on the drinking and peeing now she has been on treatment for EC but just wondered if it could be what made them hungry buns.

800ml !!!

blimey :shock:

Jaro is drinking about 130-150 mls at the moment (large ND) and we thought that was a lot

Martin

She can still down about 300mls plus on a good day but this is a huge improvement :D
Although she tested positive to EC i understand that just because they have it they don't necassarily get symptons if that makes sense :shock: :? However she appears to be reacting to the treatment and it is most likely this is what is causing her need to pee :D
Hopefully she will improve even more, if not then not sure what her long term health will be :(

Back