• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clementine, mites and wet eye..

Graciee

Staff member
So Clementine is moulting atm, she's had stringy poos but without jinxing it she's been doing okay etc.

Was grooming her with my hands which is kinda like plucking her (very gently[emoji38]) she grooms everything and me whilst I do it. It's difficult because her rex coat I've never found brushes that useful, there's a few I use sometimes but for the velvets it's mainly just my hands.

Well this picture is where she's moulting from, is this normal? It may be, just never seen her moult like this before. And I'm convinced she has mites, you can see white dandruff stuff on the fur but when you look close up and part the fur which is really hard with her coat, her skin has the white flakes all over too. My mini lop had mites and it looks exactly the same. What's the treatment for mites? With my mini lop she always had the mites and whatever we tired never got rid of it.. So just wondering what the best treatment method is? My hamster had a mite injection the other day Idk what it was called, but maybe it's something similar for buns?

Also one of her eyes looks a little wet and odd.. Wondering if she's a bit low for some reason.. Obviously ima take her to the vets just wondering if anyone has advice on if that kind of moulting could be normal and also best treatment for mites? :)
1b59470bb9742fba8601eee3f141beb4.jpg
6e19c9559437fa3e298a19b56cf86bbf.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

That can be a normal moult pattern for a Rex :) The weepy eye may be due to her getting a bit of moult fur in it. I usually bathe my Rexes eyes with cooled boiled water or cool Camomile Tea . I have also used these eye drops (on Vets advice)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...ng Eye Drops:,tired, sore, uncomfortable eyes.

But if there is any milky white discharge this may indicate infection, so a Vet check would be needed.

From the photo I cant say if it looks as though Clementine has Mites. But as she has been poorly recently it's a possibility. Also, did she have any injections when she was poorly ? The moult pattern fits with a Bun who has had injections/vaccinations in the last few weeks.

I dont like treating a Rabbit for mites unless I am certain they have them, but this link gives info re treatment

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

Hope some of the above is useful x

That can be a normal moult pattern for a Rex :) The weepy eye may be due to her getting a bit of moult fur in it. I usually bathe my Rexes eyes with cooled boiled water or cool Camomile Tea . I have also used these eye drops (on Vets advice)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...ng Eye Drops:,tired, sore, uncomfortable eyes.

But if there is any milky white discharge this may indicate infection, so a Vet check would be needed.

From the photo I cant say if it looks as though Clementine has Mites. But as she has been poorly recently it's a possibility. Also, did she have any injections when she was poorly ? The moult pattern fits with a Bun who has had injections/vaccinations in the last few weeks.

I dont like treating a Rabbit for mites unless I am certain they have them, but this link gives info re treatment

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

Hope some of the above is useful x

Thanks Jane, good to know they can moult like that! No milky white discharge just looked a little bit watery etc she doesn't seem different or bothered by it etc but will get the vet to look at it, I'll bathe it if necessary with cooled boiled water until we see the vet :)

No injections for a long time now, probably last time was me trying to do SQ fluids [emoji51][emoji38]

Thanks for the link I'll have a read, I'm convinced she has mites, having seen it before, it seems unmistakable to me but I'll let the vet decide and hopefully whatever it is can be treated, if it was one of the white buns I'd take a better picture for you, but parting the dense rex fur and getting a picture was tricky earlier I gave up [emoji38]

All very useful and I appreciate your opinion :) x

Hi Graciee

My Rex lop moults massive amounts like that, and it’s completely normal. (My rabbit vet reassured me of this) :love:

I had to treat both of mine with mites, and they were given an initial vaccination and then a paste/ gel I topped up at home

She’s very pretty, for some reason I thought Clementine was a Californian !

Hi Graciee

My Rex lop moults massive amounts like that, and it’s completely normal. (My rabbit vet reassured me of this) :love:

I had to treat both of mine with mites, and they were given an initial vaccination and then a paste/ gel I topped up at home

She’s very pretty, for some reason I thought Clementine was a Californian !

Ah good to know :)

Did the mites clear up quite quickly?

[emoji38] Clementine and Atticus are both castor rexes and Penelope and Apricot are both californians :)

Back