• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Desperate for advice again

Bunnymum4

Young Bun
So..I'm.here looking for expert help again. One of my bunnies blue has a healthy weight, she's indoors and bonded. Her whole personality has changed last 2 years and is now subdued quiet girl never gets excited and always hiding. Appetite fine. No ear mites but continually twitch ears and head shy. I'm terrified of sedation as had horror stories happen to me at vets but vets cant see any issues at all. I'm absolutely stumped and desperate for ideas?

Many bunnies are head shy. Others hate when you touch their nose or face.
Does she scratch her ears?
Does her bonded partner show any similar signs?
Could it be loose fur from shedding?
From your prior thread, I understand your distrust of the vet.
Some mites can be very hard to see unless vet checks under microscope.

The change in behavious sounds like she's stressed about something. Any ideas what may have changed?
Not sure what sedation has to do with this.
What issues have been investigated?
Is the other rabbit showing any changes in behaviour or similar symptoms?

You have previously posted this thread

I assume you are talking about the same Rabbit ?

Did you manage to video the ‘twitching’ ?

Hi all iv not managed to video the ear twitching I rarely go on my phone so when I'm with them never have it. Its literally just her shaking her ears. The sedation I'm meaning as she won't let vets near her to even look at teeth but eats fine no drooling. He looked in ears said all clear. Her buddy is fine lively and they adore each other. Just odd how quiet shes become. We live in quiet home nothing has changed at all, has a whole room to play in full of toys and tunnels kept immaculate, endless cuddles and plays out each day. Literally a dream life but seems sad and whole family noticed😔

Many bunnies are head shy. Others hate when you touch their nose or face.
Does she scratch her ears?
Does her bonded partner show any similar signs?
Could it be loose fur from shedding?
From your prior thread, I understand your distrust of the vet.
Some mites can be very hard to see unless vet checks under microscope.
Hi she has been prescribed ear drops called auriotic does anyone have any knowledge of these?

Thank you says for cats or dogs. She doesn't have an ear infection so I'm not even keen to give. They found a tiny amount of wax nothing more

It seems like a sensible start to treat with these drops and see if it makes any difference in a week or so. Better than doing nothing and worrying. The vet would not have prescribed them for no reason. Got to start somewhere if there's an ongoing issue. It's a positive step to eliminate one possibility and is fairly cheap & easy to administer. Sometimes there isn't an obvious answer and you just have to work through the steps until you find out what the issue is or find something that works, even if you don't find the cause.

Lots of meds are not specifically licenced for rabbits but it doesn't mean they are not suitable for rabbits - just that it's more cost effective for the manufacturer to go through the process for the more numerous pets (ie cats & dogs).

Yes, it contains an antibiotic and a a corticosteroid. It is used to treat otitis externa (outer ear infection).

Hi hope you can help. Its scaring me so much as as much as I try put this cream IN her ear its not liquid its cream so ends up her scratching it out then licking her paws. I'm worried will poison her shes licking it all and its leaving her fur so greasy you can see all her pink skin😔😔

Hi hope you can help. Its scaring me so much as as much as I try put this cream IN her ear its not liquid its cream so ends up her scratching it out then licking her paws. I'm worried will poison her shes licking it all and its leaving her fur so greasy you can see all her pink skin😔😔
You need to contact the Vet to let them know ASAP. It definitely should not be ingested

Thank you. I'm stopping it then. She scratches it out then locks her paw. Ill contact vet thanks so much
When you applied it did you make sure you gently massaged the ear bases to make sure the medication was well dispersed within the ear canals ? If not that would make it more likely that it’s caused irritation.

When you applied it did you make sure you gently massaged the ear bases to make sure the medication was well dispersed within the ear canals ? If not that would make it more likely that it’s caused irritation.
I did try. It was very difficult. Iv stopped now. She never even had ear infection he said ears clear. Thank you. She seems ok no upset tum and poos ok

I did try. It was very difficult. Iv stopped now. She never even had ear infection he said ears clear. Thank you. She seems ok no upset tum and poos ok
Just keep an eye on her water intake and wee output as well as her eating and pooping. If she starts to drink a lot more than normal and/or pass a lot more urine you need to contact the Vet.

Hi guys I'm.back looking for more advice. 1 of my bunnies went from quite a lively bun to a shy, head shy run away bun slowly over 2 years. Her ears 3 times been given all clear for mites and wax. She twitches ears a lot and scratches at them. She hides away a lot too. Other than that healthy appetite and weight. Iv been quoted 1300 for a scan. This is massively out of my budget and doesn't include any treatment for what they might find. For all I know this could just be her personality and I'm doing all this for nothing. Does anyone else's buns hate ears touched, have twitchy ears and run away from head strokes? I'm literally desperate for advice. What are symptoms of ear absess? Thanks.in advance

Back