• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven had another dental April 1 2019

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Last Tuesday Raven was eating and drinking less and pooing and peeing less. This was very sudden because the days before he was eating lots of hay and ever pellet I gave him along with all his greens. For about three days before, he was even pulling the entire newspaper section out of the bottom of his litter box too. I started him on fluids and syringe feeding and he soon produced lots of poo and pee.

He had a dental January 15 and I did not immediately expect that he needed another dental because he was going twice this long between dentals. After two days of syringe feeding and fluids, I added Medicam and scheduled him for a dental for Monday, April 1st (thankfully vet had a cancellation in his surgery schedule).

When he was examined at check-in for his dental, vet did not hear many gut sounds; so I was wondering if it may be something other than his teeth. However, Raven did have some dental issues. He had some sharp points forming on his rear teeth on both sides of the tongue side of his lowers and one longer point on one tooth on his uppers. Vet told me Raven did not have any sores or redness. Before his discharge, he ate all his greens, some hay and he made some nice poo and pee. The vet explained how his teeth are positioned and wearing.

Raven came home and ate his greens, some hay, and a few pellets. He also got some Medicam and another syringe feed to supplement what he is eating.

While Raven was at the vets, I cleaned Raven's area very well. Upon arriving home Raven decided to scatter poos and pee to mark his territory. I could almost see him smiling.

Sorry to hear that Raven has had to have another dental, but pleased thet he has got over it ok. My bun, Treacle, is a dental bun too, but usually goes about 6 months in between. I find she manages better on grass than hay, as she struggles with the stalky stuff. Glad to hear Raven is back to nomming and pooing xx

I’m sorry he had to have another dental, but it sounds like he has recovered well from it :thumb:

Prior to needing a dental Raven was eating a lot of good hay, so it surprised me that his teeth were not wearing better. I always thought bunnies who ate lots of hay were less likely to have teeth issues.
The vet told me that his rear upper teeth are growing at an angle so the inside of his uppers are very low and the inside of his lowers are not getting enough wear.
Raven is still being selective about what he is eating so this morning I gave him some critical care to supplement his intake. He ate about half the critical care before he started to resist so I may just give him extra greens tonight. Otherwise, he is active and he looks very handsome.
If he will be needing more frequent dentals, at least I am encouraged that he tolerated the anesthesia so well.

Sorry I missed this yesterday. I am glad to hear that Raven is recovering from his latest Dental. It sounds as though he has some molar malocclusion, so whilst eating a lot of hay could reduce the rate of frequency of the need for a Dental it may not stop the need altogether.

Sending lots of vibes for his continued recovery xx

Back