• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Test post

Hi you might have seen my second post on logging in so couldn’t get back to to any one.

I had done a long post which wasn’t accepted cos it said I wasn’t logged in even though I had at that point logged in successfully -or so I thought! AND then wouldn’t let me log in grrrh! Ok moan over.

I wanted to ask whether it’s usual for a vet to want to see a rabbit for a check upI month after X-rays confirming what l was pretty sure about,that Harriet has arthritis -she had tests to check the kidneys were ok for prescribing Metacam. The consultation fee has now gone up to £50 as a rabbit is now classed as an exotic.
At the end of July Jazz my cat had the same tests X-rays etc for arthritis - at a different vet, one I’ve been with 40years- she’s due to be checked after 6 months.
Anyone has a similar experience with their rabbit and vet??

Thanks

Sorry I think this thread might be in the wrong section but don’t know how to move it so it’ll be seen by other members who may be able to advise me

Hi you might have seen my second post on logging in so couldn’t get back to to any one.

I had done a long post which wasn’t accepted cos it said I wasn’t logged in even though I had at that point logged in successfully -or so I thought! AND then wouldn’t let me log in grrrh! Ok moan over.

I wanted to ask whether it’s usual for a vet to want to see a rabbit for a check upI month after X-rays confirming what l was pretty sure about,that Harriet has arthritis -she had tests to check the kidneys were ok for prescribing Metacam. The consultation fee has now gone up to £50 as a rabbit is now classed as an exotic.
At the end of July Jazz my cat had the same tests X-rays etc for arthritis - at a different vet, one I’ve been with 40years- she’s due to be checked after 6 months.

Thanks

It is normal for a Vet to want to monitor a Rabbit wit a chronic condition such as arthritis. Some Vets will not charge a full consultation fee for follow up appointments.

Re when you Log in to this Forum, there is a small tick box which gives the option to 'stay logged in'. You need to tick the box :)

Thanks

Hi there :)

Why did the vet say that Harriet had to be checked after a month? Were they going to review the Metacam dosage or some other treatment? Or perhaps just to see how she is doing?

I would want to know what the vet would be looking for in a follow up consultation. £50 is quite a lot for a consult - in my experience, though probably not for a consult with an exotic vet, if that's what you're saying?

Back