• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to help a surviving bunny after mate loss

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Hi all
We had to say goodbye to Tiggs tonight and due to the circumstances Yoshi didn't get to see her when she was gone. What do I need to watch for with him and how can I comfort him. They were so close .... he moved she moved and vise-versa 😔.... I don't know what to do

I replied to Tiggs's thread, but I'll say it again: I am so so sorry for your loss.

When Galinda died aged 6, I found Elphie, her littermate and sister, literally standing on top of her body. She wouldn't let us take it and in retrospect, I think our taking it away too soon impacted on Elph's health for a whole year. I made sure to bond her with other rabbits - Selene, Helios and later Morningstar. She was fulfilled in terms of bunny interaction but her weight was still very up and down. Autumn last year, I brought her and Selene inside as both girls had health/weight issues (Selene has a liver tumour). Since bringing Elphie (now 7) inside she has thrived with more focussed attention. She's finally gained the weight she needed and stabilised. But it's taken a long time.

The only time I've had a rabbit PTS with partners not seeing the body is when Archimedes died - I actually removed him a week before his death and tried to nurse him on but old age took him. However, he was bonded to Elphie and Galinda in a trio, and they didn't notice he was gone.

Meanwhile, Arce lost her sister last week. She didn't witness Iris's death as she was PTS. However, we brought the body back and 18 hours later she had finished saying goodbye. She was the follower to Iris's leader and she's more skittish than usual. However, we've given her a big soft toy to groom and cuddle up to - which she does. We're also giving her lots of extra attention, extra food, and extra stimulation. She also has a husbun reserved at a rescue. I'm glad we've done it this way with Arce as it is so much easier to watch her behaviour post-bereavement. But it is still hard on us and hard on her.

I don't know if my experiences in either case help you to know where to go forward but still.

When mabel lost Sox I used the pet remedy products to try and help her, that lots of love and cuddly toys, sorry for your loss xx

We are going to collect her tomorrow but obviously she would have been in the chiller over night. Could we let yoshi say goodbye with her like that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are going to collect her tomorrow but obviously she would have been in the chiller over night. Could we let yoshi say goodbye with her like that

Personally I wouldn't as Tiggs wil smell 'wrong' to Yoshi and it would distress him. I find that Rabbits all grieve in their own ways. Some whom we think will pine seem to be the least effected. It is just a case of dealing with each Rabbit's response as it occurs. I find that providing some distractions can help. So just some simple 'toys' like an empty cereal box to investigate. Keeping to the usual feeding/cleaning routine is something I always do as the structure of a familiar routine seems to help the Rabbit feel secure xx

What does your gut say to do?

I would let Yoshi have the chance to say goodbye. That's what I always do, whatever the circumstances. Otherwise they can wait for them to come back and get distressed.

That said, all rabbits are different, which is why you should use your own instinct as to how you feel Yoshi may cope.

I hope you're OK? xx

Back