• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice - one week after teeth clipped

Will she not come for the metacam straight from the syringe? Or from some food that it's soaked into? I tend to use a small cube of bread if I can't get a syringe in their mouth. Metacam is usually liked by rabbits and they often come straight for it, unlike most other meds. You can always leave it pre-drawn up in the syringe. Store it somewhere safe and in the dark - it is unstable in light.

Unfortunately not, she runs and hides (always had done)!! In the past we’ve only ever had to use it when she’s had stasis, so it’s been easy to catch her and administer it those times, but this time she’s very mobile so as soon as we go into the room she bolts into her box [emoji23]

Ours have never had bread but I guess it’s worth giving that a shot!

This time I’ve been sitting next to her box trying to entice her out with coriander and then getting hold of her to do it. She’s been taking it pretty willingly (biting the end of the syringe as I squirt the liquid in), then giving coriander afterwards as a reward. In the past I’ve put Panacur on to broccoli to administer that, so I could try that (had just assumed Metacam would be too runny) and also try the bread to see what she’ll take. I’ll do that for this afternoons dose before we leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t give Emeprid again without consulting a Vet. It is not always appropriate or safe to administer a prokinetic drug to a Rabbit who has reduced gut motility. A Vet needs to rule out any risk of an obstruction within the GI tract. Giving a prokinetic to an obstructed Rabbit is likely to have a very bad outcome.

Is the Rabbit passing normal size/quantity of fecal poo ? This is something that needs to be monitored very carefully. A reduction in the size and/or quantity of fecal poo indicates a reduced gut motility which always needs Veterinary attention, even if the Rabbit seems OK within themselves and is still eating a bit. Being a prey species Rabbits hide any illness well. By the time there is a noticeable change in behaviour they are often already quite unwell. Hopefully the people who will be attending to your Rabbits are aware of this and will check for poo output and not just rely on how the Rabbit is behaving.

She’s passing close to the usual amount of poos and close to the usual size, but they are a fair bit darker in colour (I assume that’s because of antibiotics and because we’ve added some grass, dandelion and the different hay into her diet, as opposed to just having her usual stalky hay?). I’d say what she’s passing now is far more than at this time last week, but probably not yet quite to the level it was before this issue arose (but not far off). Willow’s litter tray was cleaned out last night before we went to bed, and by this morning she had roughly the same number of poos as Trixie who currently has nothing wrong with her.

Laura’s parents are familiar, and have agreed to pop in during the day to check on her too. They’re going to send us photos of the litter tray each day so we can judge for ourselves too.

She’s passing close to the usual amount of poos and close to the usual size, but they are a fair bit darker in colour (I assume that’s because of antibiotics and because we’ve added some grass, dandelion and the different hay into her diet, as opposed to just having her usual stalky hay?). I’d say what she’s passing now is far more than at this time last week, but probably not yet quite to the level it was before this issue arose (but not far off). Willow’s litter tray was cleaned out last night before we went to bed, and by this morning she had roughly the same number of poos as Trixie who currently has nothing wrong with her.

Laura’s parents are familiar, and have agreed to pop in during the day to check on her too. They’re going to send us photos of the litter tray each day so we can judge for ourselves too.

:lol: good plan I've found metacam is easy to dose on a malted shredie

Back