• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dribbling Urine Still After Course of Baytril

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So my sludge boy pee bum Oliver had been dribbling uring nearly 4 weeks ago and wasn't as keep on his veg. So vet gave him a 2 week course of baytril as suspected uti. About the 2 week mark was when he improved and dribbling stopped and he was eatting his veggies and pellets more so vet said to continue for another 2 weeks of baytril. So at day 21 and dribbling urine has started again. He is still in good form, eatting drinking and pooing well. What else could cause the dribbling? ? Sludge build up?, The twice weekly fluids have defo made a difference as it has been 8 monthe since his last flush (it was 10 months between flushes last time) and he still appears very comfortable and vet said his bladder was soft enough. Just wondering what else it could be?? Obviously I will be taking him to the vet.

Very random, just a thought but EC?

Teddy has has urinary problems on and off for as long as I can remember.

We have recently tried Panacur (along with Bayril), and I must say he is peeing a lot less than I can ever remember - how much less is variable at the moment, but I am continuing the Panacur in the hope EC is the culprit. Time will tell.

The vet pointed out that urinary problems are the least less recognised symptoms of EC.

Whatever it is, I hope you find your solution soon.

Thanks Cara, asked vet about EC and she said as Oliver initially lifts his tail he isn't really incontinent. She has given us Cystaid to try after he finishes his antibiotics so will see how we go with that. Thanks for your suggestion x

So my sludge boy pee bum Oliver had been dribbling uring nearly 4 weeks ago and wasn't as keep on his veg. So vet gave him a 2 week course of baytril as suspected uti. About the 2 week mark was when he improved and dribbling stopped and he was eatting his veggies and pellets more so vet said to continue for another 2 weeks of baytril. So at day 21 and dribbling urine has started again. He is still in good form, eatting drinking and pooing well. What else could cause the dribbling? ? Sludge build up?, The twice weekly fluids have defo made a difference as it has been 8 monthe since his last flush (it was 10 months between flushes last time) and he still appears very comfortable and vet said his bladder was soft enough. Just wondering what else it could be?? Obviously I will be taking him to the vet.

Nicky, I missed this - sorry!

I've been looking up some links .....

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/urinary/c_rb_urinary_incontinence

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

So your vet hasn't seen him yet to give an opinion on what might be causing it?
You've seen this:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...-sheet-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease

I guess you know more about calcium etc than most of us. How about his water - is that low calcium?

When will you be seeing the vet? xx

Hi Max, sorry only replying now as we went away for one night as as we were over the boarder in ireland so phone turned off incase of charges!

So thanks for those links, I have read them and they have refreshed my memory on things.

So my dad called up twice a day to feed and check on my boy, just about a day and a half away but I missed him so much! Oliver had access to 2 carpeted bedrooms as well as kitchen and hall. Well we came home to lots of poops but no pee stains ! Yeah so it was maybe just an off day. So the cystaid arrived today. Not sure if I give this is given as a constant thing or only when he is dribbling? ;Yeah he us on low calcium bottled water.

Hi Max, sorry only replying now as we went away for one night as as we were over the boarder in ireland so phone turned off incase of charges!

So thanks for those links, I have read them and they have refreshed my memory on things.

So my dad called up twice a day to feed and check on my boy, just about a day and a half away but I missed him so much! Oliver had access to 2 carpeted bedrooms as well as kitchen and hall. Well we came home to lots of poops but no pee stains ! Yeah so it was maybe just an off day. So the cystaid arrived today. Not sure if I give this is given as a constant thing or only when he is dribbling? ;Yeah he us on low calcium bottled water.

Tis OK :wave: I hope you had a lovely time? I've found when it's only possible to get away for one single night (because of the buns, of course :roll:) then it's a lovely break :D

I am glad he didn't pee. I have found it random, even with completely trained and healthy buns. Occasionally there will be a pee - perhaps in the bed - and I wonder if it was perhaps something they ate (dandelions, or something else). Or perhaps a bit of stress - sensing a predator ...

I can't remember - did your vet advise you to give the cystaid? I haven't used it in rabbits, so as well to check whether it's appropriate to give 'as and when' or if it needs a build up of the vitamin strengthening formula.

So lovely to hear about Oliver :love:

Yes it was a lovely wee break :) had lots of nice cake ! Found a pets at home on the way back and got Oliver a wee prezzie - a new rosewood herbal tray thingy which he liked. Yes Max vet advisedation the cystaid but I will check with her again before giving. Perhaps he heard about us going away and didn't want us to go ! Hope u and ur little fury herd r keeping well :)

Yes it was a lovely wee break :) had lots of nice cake ! Found a pets at home on the way back and got Oliver a wee prezzie - a new rosewood herbal tray thingy which he liked. Yes Max vet advisedation the cystaid but I will check with her again before giving. Perhaps he heard about us going away and didn't want us to go ! Hope u and ur little fury herd r keeping well :)

These little weeing things the rabbits do, when not caused by bacterial infection or bladder sludge, are really difficult to deal with. There's propalin syrup to try, which can work well with some rabbits. But I would try what you've got. Let me know whether the vets says to use it all the time, or just when you think necessary :)

Back