• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about tomorrow

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I'm so stressed about Sy's dental tomorrow. I feel sick and I'm not sure that I want to go ahead with it.
If he's potentially got a chest infect would this cause problems with putting him under? The same with his slightly larger than normal heart?
I know that if he needs a dental then I'll have to go ahead eventually but I'm really really worried and I can't shake this horrible feeling :(

I can't offer any useful advice I'm afraid re your concerns about anaesthetic, but wanted to send you both vibes. If you're really unsure about going ahead I would perhaps speak with your vet, and not be afraid to trust your gut instincts on what would be best for Sy at this moment in time. x

Thank you. It's a horrible feeling. Both me and my o/h have a really bad feeling about it. We can't shake it and it's making us think that we shouldn't go ahead.
We are going to discuss everything with the vet tomorrow morning and make a decision then but I guess it's natural to be nervous... :(

Sorry, I can't answer your questions but I can completely understand your concern over the anesthetic, when my sick duck recently had to be put under in order to do a radiograph I was nearly in tears when saying goodbye to him even though the vets did explain how safe the anesthetic they use is etc.

It wasn't a gut feeling for me though, I was just worried (particularly because he was so sick, I don't like having to put sick animals under anesthetic) but I knew it had to be done since it could provide answers.

In your position I would speak with the vets and then try to work out how important this dental is and whether your bad feeling is something you should listen to or not...which is never easy to do. :(

Thank you. It's a horrible feeling. Both me and my o/h have a really bad feeling about it. We can't shake it and it's making us think that we shouldn't go ahead.
We are going to discuss everything with the vet tomorrow morning and make a decision then but I guess it's natural to be nervous... :(

Is it Molly you're seeing?

Yes it's normal to be nervous, but I for one tend to go with my gut instinct.
I don't want to persuade you either way though. In your shoes I use a vet who does conscious dentals so I never have this worry.

Sending hugs x

No it's not Molly. It's the new vets that we have been seeing recently. We have no complaints so far, they did Hiro's CT the other week. I don't think it helps that he has been so full of beans for the last 2 days. It feels like we are doing it for no reason.

No it's not Molly. It's the new vets that we have been seeing recently. We have no complaints so far, they did Hiro's CT the other week. I don't think it helps that he has been so full of beans for the last 2 days. It feels like we are doing it for no reason.

Could you postpone it for 2/3 days and think about it? Make another appointment for later in the week perhaps?

I think that I just need to talk to the vet again and ask him all of the questions that I've got going around in my head. I guess it's natural to worry :(

I think that I just need to talk to the vet again and ask him all of the questions that I've got going around in my head. I guess it's natural to worry :(

Yes it is :)

With everything you've been through, it would be very strange if you weren't worried x

I hope you can get some sleep x

I hope it all goes well.
Sometimes you can't help but worry. I've done it loads of times.

A chest infection won't make too much difference with a sedation or anaesthetic unless there are fluids in the lungs that actually effect the amount of oxygen he can absorb. Which I guess is what the x ray with be checking.

If he's been so well these last couple days, that would be the best time to do it. He's obviously feeling better and stronger on the outside so hopefully *if* anything were to happen he's got some extra energy in him to fight.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I hope it all goes well.
Sometimes you can't help but worry. I've done it loads of times.

A chest infection won't make too much difference with a sedation or anaesthetic unless there are fluids in the lungs that actually effect the amount of oxygen he can absorb. Which I guess is what the x ray with be checking.

If he's been so well these last couple days, that would be the best time to do it. He's obviously feeling better and stronger on the outside so hopefully *if* anything were to happen he's got some extra energy in him to fight.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you. We did consider this and we talked about it a lot but we both had such a bad feeling about today that we decided to cancel anyway.
I'm always incredibly nervous about GA's but it's unusual for my o/h to have this kind of reaction. He's usually a little more sensible!
Fingers crossed we have made the right decision.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you. We did consider this and we talked about it a lot but we both had such a bad feeling about today that we decided to cancel anyway.
I'm always incredibly nervous about GA's but it's unusual for my o/h to have this kind of reaction. He's usually a little more sensible!
Fingers crossed we have made the right decision.

Thanks everyone!

When one of my rabbits had to have X-rays for a potential chest infection, he didn't have a full GA. He had sedation and recovered incredibly quickly. He had bloods taken and also a dental at the same time.

I was worried too, but in the right hands, he will be safe :D
You have to feel comfortable about doing it at the time as well x

When one of my rabbits had to have X-rays for a potential chest infection, he didn't have a full GA. He had sedation and recovered incredibly quickly. He had bloods taken and also a dental at the same time.

I was worried too, but in the right hands, he will be safe :D
You have to feel comfortable about doing it at the time as well x

I think that will be my next step MM. I want to ask about doing the xrays with sedation and see if anything comes up there.
We've also made a few little changes to his diet so we want to give that a chance to take effect :)

Back