• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

heavy breathing

wendy5432

New Kit
Hi hope someone can help. My rabbit is heavy breathing at the moment. Shes eating as normal and drinking, acting normal but the breathing tends to happen bit in morning and then more at night time. She does it more when sat in a ball. She has been to the vets and they wernt happy with her breathing. Shes on antiflammatory at the moment and antibiotics. Next step would be penicillin injections which at her age of 8 I don't want to stress her anymore doing that. She has suffered from snuffles and was on baytril for a while but didn't work that's why she on sumthing new. She has a tooth out and teeth filed last Saturday so wasn't sure if she still recovering from this, as It took her a while to come round. Can anyone help?

Hi hope someone can help. My rabbit is heavy breathing at the moment. Shes eating as normal and drinking, acting normal but the breathing tends to happen bit in morning and then more at night time. She does it more when sat in a ball. She has been to the vets and they wernt happy with her breathing. Shes on antiflammatory at the moment and antibiotics. Next step would be penicillin injections which at her age of 8 I don't want to stress her anymore doing that. She has suffered from snuffles and was on baytril for a while but didn't work that's why she on sumthing new. She has a tooth out and teeth filed last Saturday so wasn't sure if she still recovering from this, as It took her a while to come round. Can anyone help?

Is you Bunny spayed ?

The 'heavy breathing' may indicate a compromised lung function and it sounds as though your Vet suspects it is a Lower Respiratory Tract infection as the Vet has prescribed antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. A chest Xray may shed some light on more specific details of what is going on, but obviously another GA so soon after the one she had for her Dental treatment is probably not a good idea.

Is she maintaining her weight OK ?

Is you Bunny spayed ?

The 'heavy breathing' may indicate a compromised lung function and it sounds as though your Vet suspects it is a Lower Respiratory Tract infection as the Vet has prescribed antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. A chest Xray may shed some light on more specific details of what is going on, but obviously another GA so soon after the one she had for her Dental treatment is probably not a good idea.

Is she maintaining her weight OK ?

Hello

Yes she has been spayed and her weight is fine, she might be a little overweight but, they checked her weight over day and did not say that it was not right and her temperature is fine too. She does not do it all the time. Last night she was laid stretched out with her feet out very relaxed

Hi there

Does your vet suspect an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection? If so, and the baytril isn't kicking things, I would go for the penicillin injections. I wouldn't give a worry that she is 8, as firstly that isn't old, and secondly the pen injections will only help and not impair her in any way.

That's what I would do in the first instance :D

Hi there

Does your vet suspect an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection? If so, and the baytril isn't kicking things, I would go for the penicillin injections. I wouldn't give a worry that she is 8, as firstly that isn't old, and secondly the pen injections will only help and not impair her in any way.

That's what I would do in the first instance :D

Hello

She didn't exactly say just that she wasn't very happy with her breathing when listening to it and said was a bit of a concern. As though It may be a lower respiratory infection. But like I said wasn't really clear to us. She still acts normal, eats and drinks. Shes a house rabbit and we let her in garden occasionally and she breathes better when outside

Hello

She didn't exactly say just that she wasn't very happy with her breathing when listening to it and said was a bit of a concern. As though It may be a lower respiratory infection. But like I said wasn't really clear to us. She still acts normal, eats and drinks. Shes a house rabbit and we let her in garden occasionally and she breathes better when outside

You could always get a second opinion from another vet if you wish? I don't know how much faith you have in your own vet?

Well I usually go to one with her if she needs her teeth doing etc, but I took her to a nearer one this time to not stress her out as much and so I haven't seen this vet before. If she managed to get through surgery ok last Saturday then wouldn't that mean she is still strong and healthy?

Well I usually go to one with her if she needs her teeth doing etc, but I took her to a nearer one this time to not stress her out as much and so I haven't seen this vet before. If she managed to get through surgery ok last Saturday then wouldn't that mean she is still strong and healthy?

Yes it sounds to me like she is strong and healthy :D

Hi that's why im really worried that she seem concerned over her breathing when listening to it. I have got antibiotics for another 6 days to use, so will see how they go. Do you know how long it can take to get into the system with rabbits? Sorry about all the questions

That's why im still worried that she was concerned her breathing bad when listening to it. Ive got another 6 days of antibiotics so will see how that goes. Do you know how long it can take to get into a rabbits system

Hi that's why im really worried that she seem concerned over her breathing when listening to it. I have got antibiotics for another 6 days to use, so will see how they go. Do you know how long it can take to get into the system with rabbits? Sorry about all the questions

Can I ask why you don't want to use the penicillin injections, if the Baytril doesn't work? Some respiratory infections can be quite intractable and need a good wallop on the head!

And don't worry about asking too many questions :D

Maybe see if they will do a conscious xray so she would not need GA if she is a good bunny?
My Flo had this problem, did a conscious xray which showed she had an infection but baytril didn't work. So she ended up having a CT and they put her on marbofloxacin (Marbocyl) which is another oral antibiotic in the same family of drugs as baytril. That with nebulising for 8 weeks got her breathing back to normal.
Antibiotics can take a long time to get rid of all the bacteria, hence why the courses can be quite long. Have your vets suggested nebulising?
Respiratory infections can be difficult to get rid of and will take time and patience!

Back