• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange smelling hay

KatyS

Warren Scout
I've just opened up a new bag of hay for the bunnies and it has a very odd smell - almost like diesel! It's all I have at the moment so I put some out and they are happily munching away on it, but I'm not sure I'm happy for them to be eating it really. Anyone got any ideas what might have caused this? It's from the not so wonderful P@H as they were the only place still open on my last minute after work shop!

Thanks guys. I've just been to exchange it (its my day off, didn't really plan to spend it driving round the town centre!! But never mind!). They were really good, as soon as she smelt it she said I could go and get another bag and then before I left she got me to make a little hole in it so I could do a smell test on the new bag! Have also put in an order from the Hay Experts so I don't get caught short again :)

Thanks guys. I've just been to exchange it (its my day off, didn't really plan to spend it driving round the town centre!! But never mind!). They were really good, as soon as she smelt it she said I could go and get another bag and then before I left she got me to make a little hole in it so I could do a smell test on the new bag! Have also put in an order from the Hay Experts so I don't get caught short again :)

glad they changed it for you was it their own brand? only asking as I noticed for while now their own brand is so brown

Hi minilop yes it was their own brand. The new bag is still quite brown but it smells fresh. I'm going to try to be organised and get all my hay from the Hay Experts from now on though :)

Hi minilop yes it was their own brand. The new bag is still quite brown but it smells fresh. I'm going to try to be organised and get all my hay from the Hay Experts from now on though :)

glad it smells fresher, yes you can't beat hay experts etc, happens to us all run out of their favourite hay and have to get bag in emergency, I had one that smelt funny end summer last year from wilkos their timothy havnt bought any since as mabel turned her nose to it

Back