• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy paw after Myxi jab

Amundawah

New Kit
Hi,
This is my first post, I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this happening before. We took our two six month old buns to the vet for a check up 2 days ago and the vet gave them their Myxi jabs and panacur for deworming and generally checked them over and said they were healthy (he's a rabbit vet so I trust him). After we took them home they were both quiet but I assumed they were angry at us for taking them to the vets. After a few hours Flopsy was back to his normal self bouncing around and eating normally but Gerard was not. He was quiet, still and not eating or drinking.
After some convincing he started eating hay but it was clear he was leaning to the right hand side, he couldn't move without turning in a full circle and was lowering his head down so I assumed it was head tilt. We called the emergency vets and they said not to take him as the vet on duty didn't know anything about rabbits. We stayed up all night monitoring him and noticed that the whole of his right side was sort of not working (ear pressed against body, eye closed, front paw floppy). Over night after feeding him and giving him water he perked up and we took him to the vet first thing yesterday morning. By that point his ear was back to normal, his eye had opened and he was moving around a lot more.
The vet said that it might be related to the jab and the company who made it confirmed it could be a reaction. We've been monitoring him since and have to take him back tomorrow if it doesn't improve. He's a lot better than he was, alert and eating and drinking unaided but his right paw is still floppy, his just sort of holding it and when he's sitting he tucks it under himself regardless of if his legs are out or not. The vert confirmed its not injured and if you force him to he will put weight on it but he's choosing not to. He's really quiet too, mostly sleeping which is unlike him but acting normally when he's awake, apart from his paw!
I just don't know what to do or if this is a permanent thing. We've only had them a month and half and I'm really scared that the jab has caused a serious issue any help would be appreciated!

Hi,
This is my first post, I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this happening before. We took our two six month old buns to the vet for a check up 2 days ago and the vet gave them their Myxi jabs and panacur for deworming and generally checked them over and said they were healthy (he's a rabbit vet so I trust him). After we took them home they were both quiet but I assumed they were angry at us for taking them to the vets. After a few hours Flopsy was back to his normal self bouncing around and eating normally but Gerard was not. He was quiet, still and not eating or drinking.
After some convincing he started eating hay but it was clear he was leaning to the right hand side, he couldn't move without turning in a full circle and was lowering his head down so I assumed it was head tilt. We called the emergency vets and they said not to take him as the vet on duty didn't know anything about rabbits. We stayed up all night monitoring him and noticed that the whole of his right side was sort of not working (ear pressed against body, eye closed, front paw floppy). Over night after feeding him and giving him water he perked up and we took him to the vet first thing yesterday morning. By that point his ear was back to normal, his eye had opened and he was moving around a lot more.
The vet said that it might be related to the jab and the company who made it confirmed it could be a reaction. We've been monitoring him since and have to take him back tomorrow if it doesn't improve. He's a lot better than he was, alert and eating and drinking unaided but his right paw is still floppy, his just sort of holding it and when he's sitting he tucks it under himself regardless of if his legs are out or not. The vert confirmed its not injured and if you force him to he will put weight on it but he's choosing not to. He's really quiet too, mostly sleeping which is unlike him but acting normally when he's awake, apart from his paw!
I just don't know what to do or if this is a permanent thing. We've only had them a month and half and I'm really scared that the jab has caused a serious issue any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm so sorry you have this issue with your rabbit. I have known reactions like the one you describe, and it was attributed also to the vaccination, but it's very rare.

I resorted to 'other therapies' for my rabbit, who made a full recovery. There again, he may have in time made a full recovery anyway. I would watch and wait. My rabbit was completely unable to jump (having previously always jumped onto the beds!).

Sending vibes. I hope (and believe) it will be temporary.

Good luck. I'm glad you have a very good rabbit vet x

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm so sorry you have this issue with your rabbit. I have known reactions like the one you describe, and it was attributed also to the vaccination, but it's very rare.

I resorted to 'other therapies' for my rabbit, who made a full recovery. There again, he may have in time made a full recovery anyway. I would watch and wait. My rabbit was completely unable to jump (having previously always jumped onto the beds!).

Sending vibes. I hope (and believe) it will be temporary.

Good luck. I'm glad you have a very good rabbit vet x

Hi,
Thank you so much for replying! What 'other therapies' did you try? I've never had rabbits before so for something that is meant to protect them to make them this sick is terrifying.
This was his first ever Myxi injection, do you know if this would happen every time or is it just not worth vaccinating in a years time?

Hi,
Thank you so much for replying! What 'other therapies' did you try? I've never had rabbits before so for something that is meant to protect them to make them this sick is terrifying.
This was his first ever Myxi injection, do you know if this would happen every time or is it just not worth vaccinating in a years time?

I used alternative therapies (my vet couldn't help at all, sadly). I don't discuss those in public, as they can sometimes be *very much* frowned upon (understatement :lol:)

I wouldn't have thought it would happen again when you vaccinate. It didn't with my rabbit, and I wouldn't suggest anyone not vaccinate because of it.

It's a difficult call. Keep a close eye on your rabbit. I really do understand what you mean about being terrified by something that's meant to be protecting them. I've fostered hundreds of rabbits, who've had loads of vet treatments. Some side effects for some rabbits you just can't predict.

I know you're right that it couldn't be predicted, still makes me slightly angry that our vet didn't warn us at all! How long did it take your bunny to recover?
Also do you think, as it's pretty clear its a reaction to the vaccine that we can reunite him with our other rabbit? At the moment their separated (on the advice of the emergency vet) I think being apart might be having a negative effect on their happiness though. They can see each other as they're on either side of the living room, but I'm not sure that's enough!

I know you're right that it couldn't be predicted, still makes me slightly angry that our vet didn't warn us at all! How long did it take your bunny to recover?
Also do you think, as it's pretty clear its a reaction to the vaccine that we can reunite him with our other rabbit? At the moment their separated (on the advice of the emergency vet) I think being apart might be having a negative effect on their happiness though. They can see each other as they're on either side of the living room, but I'm not sure that's enough!

Goodness, I wonder why on earth the vet suggested separating them? :shock:

Rabbits need company, and never moreso than when they are recovering from something. If you can, I would put them back together and watch them closely to make sure they are getting on well together.

Goodness, I wonder why on earth the vet suggested separating them? :shock:

Rabbits need company, and never moreso than when they are recovering from something. If you can, I would put them back together and watch them closely to make sure they are getting on well together.

Thank goodness you said that! It didn't feel right having them apart! They're getting on fine now they're back together, mainly snuggled up together sleeping! It's made them both a lot happier!

Thank goodness you said that! It didn't feel right having them apart! They're getting on fine now they're back together, mainly snuggled up together sleeping! It's made them both a lot happier!

Wonderful :D

Love/companionship/affection are all very good for the immune system :thumb:

Sometimes they feel a bit off or get a limp after a jab - it sounds like the poor chap got both. I imagine it probably feels a bit like when you get a sore/heavy feeling arm after a human jab (hence they usually give it in your non dominant side) but of course bunnies walk on their 'arms' so it's more tricky for them. It usually resolves itself within a few days, and certainly within a week.

If he's eating/pooping normally I wouldn't worry too much, but if that changes call the vet as if they feel poorly from something is can turn into stasis (gut problems) which are more serious and do need intervention.

Sometimes they feel a bit off or get a limp after a jab - it sounds like the poor chap got both. I imagine it probably feels a bit like when you get a sore/heavy feeling arm after a human jab (hence they usually give it in your non dominant side) but of course bunnies walk on their 'arms' so it's more tricky for them. It usually resolves itself within a few days, and certainly within a week.

If he's eating/pooping normally I wouldn't worry too much, but if that changes call the vet as if they feel poorly from something is can turn into stasis (gut problems) which are more serious and do need intervention.

Thank you for the reply! He's definitely eating and drinking normally and even gave me a little ear waggle this morning when I got up so I definitely think he's feeling better :love: . If it wasn't for the droopy paw I'd almost say he was back to normal.
I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend and if he's still not using it by Monday I'll take him back to the vet.
Thanks for the help!

I just thought I would let you know that Gerard has made a full recovery! Thank you so much for reassuring me, I was really worried, but he's certainly back to his usual self! Hooray!

I am slightly nervous though, we've got them both booked in for neutering next week. If he's had a bad reaction to the myxi jab could he have a bad reaction to being put under?

Last edited:
That's great news :D

It's possible to have a reaction to general anaesthetic, but it's very rare and as far as I know there is no link between a reaction to a jab and problems.

They are completely different things really, the jab can make them feel poorly because it's basically giving them a safe version of the bug to make their immune system prepare in case they are exposed to the real thing.

Do ask the vet if you are worried though and they can explain what they'll be doing :)

Back