• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cystic Kidney

happybunny

Mama Doe
Has anyone any experience of a cystic kidney in rabbits?

I took Rupert to the vets yesterday has he had lost 400g in 2 weeks (he is now 4.4kg). On examination the vet found a large mass on his left side. He also needed a dental.

They booked him straight in for a dental and a scan of the mass and FNA. The scan showed the mass was a cystic kidney and once his fur was shaved you could see it protruding out from his side. They ran bloods which showed problems with his kidneys and also took samples to send to the lab.

After losing Leah on Sunday I was not in the best place to really understand everything. I just kept bursting into tears. The vet did say that we should wait until the results are back to decide was to do but kept stressing it was not end stage renal failure.

Any experiences of this please?

Rupert is 5.5 years, a large rabbit and neutered.

x

The vet left a message saying that the results are back. They confirm the kidney is cystic and that Rupert is a candidate for having it removed. Am in bits. I really need to know more. I hope I can get hold of the vet today.

I'm so sorry :cry: I really hope someone with experience of this can advise, I'm sending vibes and hugs xx

I don't know anything about cystic kidneys but have had a bunny who had a kidney removed. He did really well after the operation and lived for another 20 months (probably to his natural lifespan).

Hope all goes well for your bunny but the prognosis really should be okay if it's just the one kidney that is affected

The vet left a message saying that the results are back. They confirm the kidney is cystic and that Rupert is a candidate for having it removed. Am in bits. I really need to know more. I hope I can get hold of the vet today.

I'm sorry to hear this HappyBunny ...

I suggest you PM Parsnipbun, as my guess is that she may be able to help you/give advice or reassurance xxx

Thank you all for your messages.

I managed to speak to the vet today. We have decided to have Rupert other kidney scanned to work out if it is functioning. The bloods were not great and it could mean that both kidneys are not working properly or that the damaged one is causing more problems. If the other kidney seems ok we will go ahead with the operation, if not then we will keep him comfortable. I must admit both outcomes terrify me. xxx

I managed to speak to the vet today. We have decided to have Rupert other kidney scanned to work out if it is functioning. The bloods were not great and it could mean that both kidneys are not working properly or that the damaged one is causing more problems. If the other kidney seems ok we will go ahead with the operation, if not then we will keep him comfortable. I must admit both outcomes terrify me. xxx

I'm sorry, they would terrify me as well :(

Praying for a good outcome, whatever it is, for lovely Rupert xx

I hope all is well with the other kidney.

It terrified me too but I had absolutely no choice with Artie as the 'bad' kidney was full of stones and they kept moving and getting stuck in the ureter so we just had to go ahead and by some miracle EC had only damaged one kidney.

Thank you both. xx

Bunny Buddy - it helps to know other bunnies have benefitted from the op. The op is booked for Friday depending on what the scan shows.

Back