• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So what's left now?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, so Angel has dental abscesses. He has had them, managed, for like 2-3 years now. He also has thymoma and horrendous arthritis, but is generally a happy, binkying chappy.

He was on oral meds (Metronidazole and Baytril) for his abscesses, but they stopped working. So, we moved to Crystapen (Penicillin). We thought it would only be short term because we expected him to die within a couple of months due to the thymoma. That was in September 2014. He has had daily injections since then, but now he is so scarred, and they cause sores in his back.

So we tried different and less regular antibiotics (Depocillin and also Norocillin), but neither will go into him. They just either go in and then spurt out, or just don't go in at all. (And I have another bunny on the Depocillin and can get it into him no problem- so I'm not sure it's me that's failing, although it's certainly how it feels).

He's back on the Crystapen.

He's had a really bad couple of weeks with not eating, eating, not eating, eating- we're unclear if it's teeth or arthritis (probably a mix of both).

But now what. He can't stay on something that is hurting him and causes sores. But then... the only other option is death?

What other options are there? What else can I do for him, bar have him PTS?

I'm so sorry that he is having such bad problems. Have you got him on any pain medication on a daily basis to make him more comfortable?

Sorry this will be a short reply

I am wondering if he now has osteomyelitis as a result of the dental abscess ? Unfortunately it may be that infection is now resistant to penicillin, so even if it could be given without all the problems it is causing re injection site reactions it may not even be doing any good

Could a switch back to an oral abx such as Doxycycline or Azithromycin be an option

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Doxycycline.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Azithromycin.htm

Sometimes as thymomas increase in size they can cause a reduction in appetitive as they press on the stomach meaning the Rabbit feels full with a relatively small food intake.

I am sure you are on top of analgesic types/doses

I am sorry Angel is struggling

Thank you.

You're right Jane- all maxed out on Metacam and Tramadol.

He has only ever had what Iain Cope called 'micro abscesses' right at the tooth roots. Angel never had any swellings or anything so I'm hoping it's not got to his bone. I don't think he Is currently resistent to penicillin because when he's on it, he has no problems with his teeth. His skin just can't cope with it. His recent eating, non eating is definitely pain related but do hear what you're saying.

I'll take the med suggestions to my vet, thanks.

Re penicillins, does anyone know if there's a difference with long acting v's short acting in regards to its consistency & ease of use?

Have you tried a different gauge needle for Angel?

Besides the obvious suspect that could be causing him discomfort, is there possibility of stomach ulcers too? Given he's been on long term oral meds?

{{{Angel}}} I hope you can find a solution for him.

6 per cent hydrogen peroxide has saved three of my rabbits with the same condition as yours. Put a few drops in his water bowel. You also have to use it on the abscesses but you need to contact me to find out about this. You can try iodine on the abscesses and/ black cumin seed oil. My e mail is johnson.stanley62@yahoo.com

Back