• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging Box

KatieMax

Warren Scout
So the new hutch is finally arriving tomorrow :D Now I just need to figure out when we can put it together seeing as we're away this weekend and it's dark when my fiance gets home in the evening :(

Anyway, I'm going to give Ruby an underbed storage box with some soil in to see what she thinks, but if she likes it I was thinking of getting this

with a couple of ash tree stumps to make a sort of step leading up to each side. Do you think this would work?

What I'm wondering is whether to have it under the tarpaulin in the run so that it doesn't get too wet, or to have in the open part so that it gets rained on and therefore cleaned and drained. I'm a bit worried about her going to the toilet in it or something. What do you think? Does anyone have any photos of their digging set ups outside?

It looks like it would work, I have never used one though. Based on today's weather here I would keep it in the dry..

I don't know really, I don't think they would actually, it's more somewhere fun and to play, and if they have their own litter boxes you may be okay. I am thinking of doing something similar for mine, perhaps in the spring..

In a previous house my dad made my rabbits a nice solid digging box & I have to admit it did get used as a toilet :) They didn't dig in it much either but in their own rabbity ways they must have liked it as many a binky was initiated in that box

Mine have large compost filled plant pots as dig boxes. They work well. They have had underbed storage boxes before too.

They do use them as litter trays sometimes but i change the soil regularly so its not a problem.

Back