• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving baytril - it's a nightmare

cara

Alpha Buck
Tried to make a 'biscuit sandwich' of the stuff - but she wouldn't eat the entire biscuit. She ate just over half, I am guessing.

So, she has had 'part' of a dose - worse really than not eating any at all!

What would you do, wait till the next dose is due or try to guess how much to give to make the amount up to the prescribed amount? She HATES being handled but I think the only way is to syringe it.

When I've had to give it I've soaked it into a small piece of Weetabix and then mashed banana on top.

I only know this too well! :(

I have tried a number of things, mixing with apple juice in a siringe, mushed up in some weetabix, and also soaked up in some brown bread for a very short period. Good luck with your bun xx

Oh the rotten old Baytril - bane of every bunny owner's life :(

As others have suggested above, I've found the best way is to heavily disguise it in food. I've found soaking in brown bread worked really well - she gobbled it up! Could disguise it even further perhaps with apple juice or banana.

Good luck - I hope you manage to get it down somehow!

Seems I am in very good company!

Rosie is VERY suspicious of new foods. I left a piece of pineapple out for her (thinking if she ate it, I might try putting it in that) - but she wasn't tempted. Also doesn't go for anything mushy. And the problem is, I can't keep wasting the medication experimenting :roll: I tend to think if she isn't fooled by a looooverly sweet biscuit, then I doubt anything will fool her:roll: I did taste it (only a dab!) and have to say, it is bitter!

Think I am just going to have to syringe it unfortunately as I am now worried about her not getting the full course :(

Hope you have better luck MummyBunnyem :wave:

Last edited:
One bun I had took it like a dream in brown bread. But since then I have had better success with a syringe. Once you get the knack it's over and done quickly . Good luck . X

Tried to make a 'biscuit sandwich' of the stuff - but she wouldn't eat the entire biscuit. She ate just over half, I am guessing.

So, she has had 'part' of a dose - worse really than not eating any at all!

What would you do, wait till the next dose is due or try to guess how much to give to make the amount up to the prescribed amount? She HATES being handled but I think the only way is to syringe it.

Syringe is the only way to ensure a full dose.

Why not draw up the amount, and then fill the last bit of the syringe with something like Ella's Kitchen Banana pouch? Or pureed apple if she prefers that?

Of course being a wise bunny this may not work after the first time :lol:

Syringe is the only way to ensure a full dose.

Why not draw up the amount, and then fill the last bit of the syringe with something like Ella's Kitchen Banana pouch? Or pureed apple if she prefers that?

Actually, I quite like that idea. Problem is, I hate the idea of the stress it gives her, picking her up in the first place

My bunny would get Medicam and Baytril. She actually begged for Medicam, until I used the same syringe for the Medicam that I used for the Baytril. Even after washing the syringe, she would not take the Medicam from the syringe that must have smelled like Baytril.

I even had Baytril liquid compounded by a pharmacy with a flavor I thought the bunnies would like and they still would not take it unless I syringed it into their mouth.

Actually, I quite like that idea. Problem is, I hate the idea of the stress it gives her, picking her up in the first place
it's not nice, is it. Lopsy was a nightmare: he didn't much like anything we were syringing into him, banana or not, but we still managed to force down the baytril without spillage. It took two of us, a massive towel and quite a lot of 'resting' breaks to do it though!

it's not nice, is it. Lopsy was a nightmare: he didn't much like anything we were syringing into him, banana or not, but we still managed to force down the baytril without spillage. It took two of us, a massive towel and quite a lot of 'resting' breaks to do it though!

:lol:

This brings back memories of Cheyenne and trying to get recovery food down her recently - one morning most of ended up on the wall behind our bed :D

Baytril is nightmare - weetabix well worked for Sheldon but he loves ALL food so was never an issue with the taste on the biscuit.

I've been trying this with Lunar recently, who is on Sulfatrim and Baytril. It hasn't even worked once. She knows exactly what's in there behind fruit :roll:
I've tried hiding it in food too. She just eats around it.
She's become incredibly suspicious now of anything that I give her. It gets a thorough investigation and smelling before it goes anywhere near her mouth.
The only way I can do it is to get someone else to hold her and squeeze into the side of her mouth by syringe. Literally nothing else works. She tends to wipe as much as she can on my Mum or me afterwards :lol: But at least it means she'll get most of the dose. So in that sense it's probably the best way.
I haven't tried the weetabix though as I was a bit nervous about how safe it was. But if a few members are backing it maybe try that? Maybe just be careful not to give her too much.

I've been trying this with Lunar recently, who is on Sulfatrim and Baytril. It hasn't even worked once. She knows exactly what's in there behind fruit :roll:
I've tried hiding it in food too. She just eats around it.
She's become incredibly suspicious now of anything that I give her. It gets a thorough investigation and smelling before it goes anywhere near her mouth.
The only way I can do it is to get someone else to hold her and squeeze into the side of her mouth by syringe. Literally nothing else works. She tends to wipe as much as she can on my Mum or me afterwards :lol: But at least it means she'll get most of the dose. So in that sense it's probably the best way.
I haven't tried the weetabix though as I was a bit nervous about how safe it was. But if a few members are backing it maybe try that? Maybe just be careful not to give her too much.

I actually don't trust giving a bunny meds on food. I've been advised to try all sorts of things - malted shreddies and what not ... Nothing works better than biting the bullet. Or the syringe, as in this case ...

I have one bunny that seems to eat anything in food - good thing as he is a nightmare to syringe medicine into. Weetabix work best for him. My other bunny, sadly now gone, when I was recently giving her baytril, as she could be picky with her food and the bunny birrito never worked well, I found the best way was for me to get on my hands and knees on the floor, tuck my feet in and push her bottom first between my thighs so I was almost sitting on her (doesn't sound nice but she was fine) then I could get to her head and she couldn't back away. I would still end up with part of the dose on the floor though as she had a habit of opening her mouth and letting some dribble out!!

Strangely my bunny also seemed to like the taste of baytril! Well she licked her mouth after which I look as her liking the taste

Strangely my bunny also seemed to like the taste of baytril! Well she licked her mouth after which I look as her liking the taste

I think they would lick their mouths if it was nasty, to get rid of the flavour :lol:

Glad she took it well though!

I actually don't trust giving a bunny meds on food. I've been advised to try all sorts of things - malted shreddies and what not ... Nothing works better than biting the bullet. Or the syringe, as in this case ...

I am not a fan of putting meds on food because it is hard to tell how much they got if they do not finish the entire portion of food. If all else fails, you may want to ask your vet about injectible Baytril. Years ago they did not have the oral liquid. It actually seemed to work faster then the oral, and it can be easier to give an injection--especially if the bunny is very ill--or very stubborn. Baytril injectible will often cause a burn if given sub-Q at full strength, something I learned first-hand many years ago when we had no other choice (she lived a long life with a small bald area at the injection site). A few years ago, my current vet showed me how to inject into a muscle.
Someone on this web site probably uses the injectible and can give you updated information.

:lol:

This brings back memories of Cheyenne and trying to get recovery food down her recently - one morning most of ended up on the wall behind our bed :D

Baytril is nightmare - weetabix well worked for Sheldon but he loves ALL food so was never an issue with the taste on the biscuit.

I know the feeling of having the medication squirt everywhere but where you want. When giving fluids to a wriggling bunny, I poked the needle straight through into my own finger. When I look closely, I swear my nose twitches!

Back