• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poss too much Veg - Messy bottom

toria

Warren Scout
Hi,

Yesterday I took how many pots of the rabbits' favourite foods to the Vets with them, as Toby was having an anesthetic for X-rays and endoscopy. This was so that Toby would be encouraged to eat afterwards. AND that Willow was also going with him.
When I got home I realised ALL the pots were empty. I thought - fair enough, they prob thrown excess away.

They were at the Vets between 9am and 7pm. I gto them home about 7.30pm.
I kept Toby and Willow in over night and both produced poos and were eating.
I have put them back into their hutch this morning and Willow has now got a pooy bum (as in the normal soft poo) and not very interested in her food. I am now wondering weather they just gave the pots of food to them and Willow sat there scoffing it all, which of course was far too much.
The Vets is now closed so I can't phone and ask - and also I feel a bit rude, cause they should know really...

Does anyone know how to settle her stomach or what with?

Thanks...

Oh dear, what were in the pots of food ?

Has Willow passed normal fecal pellets despite the messy bum issue ? Is she bright enough within herself ?

Hay and water would be the best thing for her if she did gorge on a lot of extra food yesterday. But if she has had no fecal output and/or if she appears to be depressed/uncomfortable then I'd give the out-of-hours Vet a call for advice.

There was Grain / Hay / Brocolli / Kale / Fresh Dandelion / Burgess Apple / Alfalfa Rings - all broken up/chopped up so Toby can eat them as he hasn't any front teeth.
They both eat everything. Just a little concerned she had access to having too much.

She has passed some normal poos in the last hour or so.

She is being very naughty too and decided since being put back outside, she won't let Toby sit anywhere near her. They were fine indoors overnight...

There was Grain / Hay / Brocolli / Kale / Fresh Dandelion / Burgess Apple / Alfalfa Rings - all broken up/chopped up so Toby can eat them as he hasn't any front teeth.
They both eat everything. Just a little concerned she had access to having too much.

She is being very naughty too and decided since being put back outside, she won't let Toby sit anywhere near her. They were fine indoors overnight...

Well if she has passed normal fecal poo and she's bright within herself I would not worry too much that she is less enthusiastic about food at the moment. As long as she is eating hay and drinking and she keeps pooing OK then hopefully she will be back to normal quickly.

Sounds like a bit of a food overload! I bet she enjoyed it, though I doubt she'll have the opportunity again :lol:

It sounds like she will be OK ... Hope she settles down to normal. I know the problem with trying to get one bun to eat then the other scoffs the lot.

Back