• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on neutering 2 males at same time.

guzzalina

New Kit
I have a bit of a dilemma, I have 2 male rabbits.They are both booked in for next Tuesday to be neutered.

The vets said she will have a look first to make sure everything is dropped....if you get my meaning.They are only 4 month old but have lately started humping each other for about an hour in the day they both go mental.Problem is, one is bigger than the other and weighs 970grams the other is only 680grams.

If the small one does not reach a kg she may not do him.Mind you i don't think he will ever reach that weight,hes a Netherland dwarf.Do i have them both done together or will it be ok to do one at a time.
Other than this they are very close.Always wanting to be together.

Can anybody advise if its the best thing to do.i myself would love them to be done at the same time.But that's because im not looking forward to taking them to the vets knowing they will not speak to me for a week afterwards.:(

I have a bit of a dilemma, I have 2 male rabbits.They are both booked in for next Tuesday to be neutered.

The vets said she will have a look first to make sure everything is dropped....if you get my meaning.They are only 4 month old but have lately started humping each other for about an hour in the day they both go mental.Problem is, one is bigger than the other and weighs 970grams the other is only 680grams.

If the small one does not reach a kg she may not do him.Mind you i don't think he will ever reach that weight,hes a Netherland dwarf.Do i have them both done together or will it be ok to do one at a time.
Other than this they are very close.Always wanting to be together.

Can anybody advise if its the best thing to do.i myself would love them to be done at the same time.But that's because im not looking forward to taking them to the vets knowing they will not speak to me for a week afterwards.:(

Has your vet actually said that she will not neuter the smaller one until he reaches 1kg in weight?

As for them not speaking with you ... The whole point of neutering them is so that they can spend more time talking to one another :lol:

No, seriously, they will still love you :love: Just not show it for a wee while ;)

This is a tricky one because the humping could escalate into an awful fight during which your smaller rabbit could well be injured. Most boys start to fight around 14 weeks so you have been lucky to get this far. Obviously your smaller bunny won't have reached 1 kg by next Tuesday, do you know if his testicles have dropped, can you have a peep?

To be honest I think the safest thing to do is to separate them due to the possibility of a fight (unless youncan watch them around the clock). Then you can have the bigger one done on Tuesday as you are booked in and wait to have the smaller one done when the Vet is happy to do it.

Then you would have to rebond them in a neutral space.

Otherwise you risk a very serious fight.

We would never bond males together, I know some do and it can work but from our own experience of bonding 2 Brothers many years ago who happily lived with each other for so many months and then decided to nearly kill each other, I had to rush one to the vet's as he had been bitten badly on his 'you know what' by the other. Would never do it again as you just don't know when it's all going to kick off and it can end up fatal.

Anyone that emails us for advice on bonding rabbits I always send them this link http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Good Luck xx

This is a tricky one because the humping could escalate into an awful fight during which your smaller rabbit could well be injured. Most boys start to fight around 14 weeks so you have been lucky to get this far. Obviously your smaller bunny won't have reached 1 kg by next Tuesday, do you know if his testicles have dropped, can you have a peep?

To be honest I think the safest thing to do is to separate them due to the possibility of a fight (unless youncan watch them around the clock). Then you can have the bigger one done on Tuesday as you are booked in and wait to have the smaller one done when the Vet is happy to do it.

Then you would have to rebond them in a neutral space.

Otherwise you risk a very serious fight.

I agree with TB, the fact that they are now humping each other means it's only a matter of time before a fight occurs. I also agree re having the larger Buck neutered on Tuesday as planned and if the Vet is not happy to neuter the smaller Buck then his op' can be arranged for a later date.

I have bonded numerous male pairs, some brothers, some not. I have never had any problems doing so and in all cases it was easier than bonding a Buck/Doe. In my experience it is usually a Doe who causes the bother !!

We would never bond males together, I know some do and it can work but from our own experience of bonding 2 Brothers many years ago who happily lived with each other for so many months and then decided to nearly kill each other, I had to rush one to the vet's as he had been bitten badly on his 'you know what' by the other. Would never do it again as you just don't know when it's all going to kick off and it can end up fatal.

Anyone that emails us for advice on bonding rabbits I always send them this link http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Good Luck xx

That's a fab article Tuckerbunnies :thumb:

I agree with you, I wouldn't bond two boys given the choice.

However, the OP has them now, and I think the best solution would be to neuter them together and *keep* them together. I know of countless boy bonds (almost typed boy bands :shock:) that never got back together well after separation, so I would try not to separate at all.

Thanks so much for the help and advice.The vet said that she would ideally like them to be a kg in weight.But hopefully she will do them both together.

I bought both lads at the same time over 2 months ago.They came from the same breeder.They are so used to being together.Hopefully i will be one of the lucky ones and it will all go smoothly.

Its a bit mind blowing when you read which pairs are best suited. They have only had 1 tiny little scrap which lasted seconds . In fact since i have mentioned the vet they have calmed down and are like little angels......

Don't get too worried about the operation. Most boys don't really know anything has happened to them. Have you checked your Vet has lots of neutering experience, especially with rabbits?

I had two boys brothers they were neutered together and were never separated they loved each other very much and never fought ever :) they were neutered at about 16 weeks too :) I just kept an eye on the humping and encourage them off each other just make sure they have plenty of room and things to distract from the humping :D

I then bonded them to an older boy about 1 year older and had a trio of boys all very happy together :thumb:

I had two boys brothers they were neutered together and were never separated they loved each other very much and never fought ever :) they were neutered at about 16 weeks too :) I just kept an eye on the humping and encourage them off each other just make sure they have plenty of room and things to distract from the humping :D

I then bonded them to an older boy about 1 year older and had a trio of boys all very happy together :thumb:

Yep, I have always found the boys so much easier to bond !! I had a group of 4 plus a Doe once and the boys never had a mardy moment.

Thanks so much for the help and advice.The vet said that she would ideally like them to be a kg in weight.But hopefully she will do them both together.

I bought both lads at the same time over 2 months ago.They came from the same breeder.They are so used to being together.Hopefully i will be one of the lucky ones and it will all go smoothly.

Its a bit mind blowing when you read which pairs are best suited. They have only had 1 tiny little scrap which lasted seconds . In fact since i have mentioned the vet they have calmed down and are like little angels......

:lol: Brilliant! You don't need our advice, it seems you have the magic touch :D

hi i have two males living very happily together, i had one neutered and separated them with dog panels, they live in a big cattery so plenty of room, they could sniff and see each other, then i got the other one done and put them back together after a week. they are very happy bunnies. good luck with your two, hope everything goes well with the neutering.

my vet specializes in rabbits so im all good their...or rather the lads are.They are in good hands.

Roll on Tuesday. Hubbie is off work at moment so luckily watches them all day.

Back