• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some advice on these products..

pollypocket

Warren Scout
Pro C Probiotic, Verm-X natural control of intestinal hygiene and Protexin Pro-Fibre.

Are they all ok? I've got the pro c probiotic already and I've used it, putting it into their water. The others are pellets.

I was advised to use the pro c powder because Pixie doesn't eat her caecotrophs, we go up and down with that. A couple of good days where I find none, then a couple of bad days where I find them again, but I've not altered their diet from what I found she was ok on.

Mine love the pro-fibre and see them as a "treat". One of my friends uses the Verm-X which I believe is a similar product.

the verm-x worming pellets have been scientifically shown to be ineffective, so i wouldn't waste money on those! i'm not too sure about the others :)

Ok, thanks. So can the Pro C and Pro fibre be used together or is that not advised?
ALSO to use the pro fibre do I reduce the amount of food pellets and make it up with the pro fibre??

Pro C Probiotic, Verm-X natural control of intestinal hygiene and Protexin Pro-Fibre.

Are they all ok? I've got the pro c probiotic already and I've used it, putting it into their water. The others are pellets.

I was advised to use the pro c powder because Pixie doesn't eat her caecotrophs, we go up and down with that. A couple of good days where I find none, then a couple of bad days where I find them again, but I've not altered their diet from what I found she was ok on.

Several exotics vets believe probiotics are a waste of money, as the acid in the rabbit's stomach kills off any beneficial bacteria before they get there! However, they won't do any harm :wave:

Ok, thanks. So can the Pro C and Pro fibre be used together or is that not advised?
ALSO to use the pro fibre do I reduce the amount of food pellets and make it up with the pro fibre??

Has your Vet looked into why your Rabbit is not eating her cecotrophs ? EG addressing her specific diet and checking that she does not have any Dental and/or mobility problems ?

I do not use probiotics as about 5 years ago an Exotics Vet who used to post on here occasionally mentioned that they may be of little use.

The real question is whether probiotics can survive the incredibly acidic rabbit stomach as this is designed to kill any microbes coming in on food... In rabbits on certain medications (e.g. Zantac) stomach pH is increase and probiotics are more likely to be effective.

The probiotic is likely to be destroyed by digestive enzymes before it gets to where it is needed (the cecum). I do, however, use a PREbiotic. These are not destroyed by digestive enzymes and the prebiotics can stimulate the growth of 'good bacteria' and increase the 'good bacteria's' efficacy. This prebiotic, Avipro-C has proved to be exceptionally beneficial to one of my Rabbits

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark_Avip...kdYcUNQ2FxlEQ4RtMAQf9Cfsdub5Kllbx4aAqwM8P8HAQ

Back